Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In order to change the FOV in Starfield, you first have to do the following.

Go to Documents
Go to Games
Go to MyGame
Go to Starfield
(This depends on where your game is stored, basically, just find the game’s folder)
Once you’ve done this, create a text file with the following text inside
[Camera]

fFPWorldFOV=100.0000

fTPWorldFOV=100.0000

You can change the numbers above to determine what FOV you’d like.
Now save the file as “StarfieldCustom.in"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xerge

<Donor>
I just landed in Atlantis and lowered the preset to medium. Steady 70 FPS now so a lot better, just was expecting better performance after experiencing 100+ FPS in every other game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
No, pretty much everybody did.

For me and a lot of others, I've already played that game 5 times now - FO3, FO:NV (admittedly, this wasn't Bethesda and explains why it's a standout), FO4, Skyrim, FO76, and now this. I'm just over playing FO3 with a different skin each time. Miss me with that boring ass shit.

fo:nv shouldn't be listed with any of those other games

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just landed in Atlantis and lowered the preset to medium. Steady 70 FPS now so a lot better, just was expecting better performance after experiencing 100+ FPS in every other game.

Yeah I think i will turn crowds to low before I get there. From reading around, you still have decent population walking around even at low, just not the 50+ people on screen you can get at other settings.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Well. Wow. Entered Cohhs stream just as he started a main mission about 10 hours in.

- Quest said to listen to a log. Did that, then it said to go to a planet.
- Planet didn't show up on quest tracker, was wondering if he hadn't unlocked the planet. But that was odd, considering he could see the names of all other star systems/planets when hovering over them, including ones he hadn't been to.
- Looked at a few names, and lucked out. Found "Basel" which he needed to go to. But it wasn't marked for a quest.
- Traveled there. Still no quest marker. But the quest registered having traveled there, and it now showed the next part of the quest which was "Rescue X"
- But still no quest marker, so quicksaved and quickloaded.
- Marker now showed up. But.. The marker was at his ship.
- Ran back to ship, and at the entrance to the inside of his ship was a guy. X. Talking to him it was obvious he was having a conversation with someone else looking into space. Dialogue was to pay ransom, attack and so forth. But there was nobody else there. Clearly you're supposed to encounter him somewhere else.
- Reloaded a previous save. On a different planet. Before even listening to the log asking to go to Basel. X still at the back of the ship.
- Quit the game.
- Loaded back in. X still there.
- Did dialogue. Tried attacking whoever was there. On a different planet. Nothing happens.
- Reload. Traveled to Basel. X still at back of ship. Didn't talk to him.
- Looked around, found a base and entered that. Found person who was having a supposed conversation with X. Paid his ransom. Traveled to next quest area. Thankfully quest finished.

That is bonkers. The quest bugged, with the NPC. And the quest bug actually spread to ALL previous saves. How the heck are the saves compiled when you can get a quest to potentially break, and it spreads backwards? That is some next level breaking. Encountering something that makes you reload a past save is one annoyance, but having that something spread to saves you did way back is just... How?

• 8Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 10 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
saw a bit of that as well, pretty sure that was main story stuff and ya, it basically forced him to do it, no matter what save he loaded.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Unless he loaded a save from all the way before the quest was initiated at all, you can't say it's "infecting" other saves. The jankiness probably happened the instant the quest began (since it sounds like listening to the log was simply a step in an already existing quest). I would bet the update time on the save files did not change.

Another possibility is it might try a preload of the last save to make a continue faster and that load leaves something in memory that future play has to deal with. That's assuming those reloads were complete game quit outs; a quick load or just going back to the menu could still be affected by the game state not being properly cleared.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Unless he loaded a save from all the way before the quest was initiated at all, you can't say it's "infecting" other saves. The jankiness probably happened the instant the quest began (since it sounds like listening to the log was simply a step in an already existing quest).

X wasn't in the back of his ship when he listened to the log the first time. Traveled to new planet. X was not at the back of his ship. Quicksaved. Reloaded. X was at the back of his ship. Reloaded save before he listened to the log, where X wasn't there at that point. X was now there.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
X wasn't in the back of his ship when he listened to the log the first time. Traveled to new planet. X was not at the back of his ship. Quicksaved. Reloaded. X was at the back of his ship. Reloaded save before he listened to the log, where X wasn't there at that point. X was now there.
Reload being a load from inside the game after it was already in the bad state or a complete restart?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well. Wow. Entered Cohhs stream just as he started a main mission about 10 hours in.

- Planet didn't show up on quest tracker, was wondering if he hadn't unlocked the planet. But that was odd, considering he could see the names of all other star systems/planets when hovering over them, including ones he hadn't been to.
- Looked at a few names, and lucked out. Found "Basel" which he needed to go to. But it wasn't marked for a quest.
- Traveled there. Still no quest marker. But the quest registered having traveled there, and it now showed the next part of the quest which was "Rescue X"
- Ran back to ship, and at the entrance to the inside of his ship was a guy. X. Talking to him it was obvious he was having a conversation with someone else looking into space. Dialogue was to pay ransom, attack and so forth. But there was nobody else there. Clearly you're supposed to encounter him somewhere else.
- Reloaded a previous save. On a different planet. Before even listening to the log asking to go to Basel. X still at the back of the ship.
- Quit the game.
- Did dialogue. Tried attacking whoever was there. On a different planet. Nothing happens.
- Looked around, found a base and entered that. Found person who was having a supposed conversation with X. Paid his ransom. Traveled to next quest area. Thankfully quest finished.

That is bonkers. The quest bugged, with the NPC. And the quest bug actually spread to ALL previous saves. How the heck are the saves compiled when you can get a quest to potentially break, and it spreads backwards? That is some next level breaking. Encountering something that makes you reload a past save is one annoyance, but having that something spread to saves you did way back is just... How?
todd-howard-whos-laughing-now.gif

I think I'm done with this thread till I beat it, don't want spoilers or whatever. SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE

• 1Double Worf

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Reload being a load from inside the game after it was already in the bad state or a complete restart?

saves.jpg
guy.jpg

Timestamp of saves there. Reloaded 15 minutes back. Before activating stage of the quest. Quest at that point was to travel to location. Guy is now at the back of his ship. Quicksave was when he did the save/load to get his quest marker activated and when he first showed up.

Otto

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Caliane

- Quit the game.

its not that unusual really. kenshi and iirc skyrim was known for this. big open world games. the world is not saved in the same way as quests/objects. its not feasible to do a snapshot save in the way something like say doom would do. so when you save/load in kenshi/skyrim the world is not actually reset or anything. things are just despawned, and respawned with the save. so you get buggy things occasionally. with things not despawning on a load from the previous savestate.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
its not that unusual really. kenshi and iirc skyrim was known for this. big open world games. the world is not saved in the same way as quests/objects. its not feasible to do a snapshot save in the way something like say doom would do. so when you save/load in kenshi/skyrim the world is not actually reset or anything. things are just despawned, and respawned with the save. so you get buggy things occasionally. with things not despawning on a load from the previous savestate.

kenshi was made by one dude…

• 1Truth!

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Can't beileve this game doesn't have a local map for the big main city.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Damn, I visited my parents and they have a display of condoms right there on their kitchen.

1693598028644.png

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So playing now. Seems to be around only 30% CPU. That 100% must of just been a spike. GPU is around 70% in a open world planet.

Also forget who, but the loading screen thing. I couldn't comment at the time, because I honestly couldnt even remember a loading screen. Testing now though, I get maybe .5 second to 1 second of a load screen and then it loads? Maybe he was on a console or old SSD? I am on a brand new m2 NVME. So I barely notice them.

Everything is on medium with crowds on low. FSR , ambient occlusion, depth of field all off. ~70 FPS on in open planet, 80 to 90 in a building. Native 1440p, current screenshot on first planet I am still on:

20230901133439_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

just a side note: BG3 has more than double the players on steam right now

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
IMG_3543.jpeg

just to let you guys know I can’t play so keep giving reports. I’m at wineries getting sauced 👍👍😃

• 1Like