Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Definitely worth rotating your companions so that you can get deeper into their stories, too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Do the randos from the bars have stories, or are they just place holders? Not like I have a big ship right now, using the Razorleaf, was just wondering mainly where more unique companions come from, whether they're all constellation related or you pick up some from various story lines.

Don't want to miss out on companion quests if I can help it.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
The 4 primary ones are from the Constellation quest line as far as I know. Pretty quick to get them.

Randos in bars with names have like 2 skills, npcs with just a "X specialization" only have 1 skill. I don't think these ones have any quests or real stories.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Man, the Magsheer rifle seems REALLY good. Thing fucking melts enemies even without skills in rifles/ballistics.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Magshear is really strong (especially right at the start of the game when you can go to Hopetown and steal an advanced one) but it eats through an insane amount of very expensive ammo to do it so you really only want to use it against robots and human enemies that spawn much higher level than everything else around them. Give it to a companion with their free ammo and you'll have to work to even get in 25% damage (the req. to get xp) on whatever they target.

I found a legendary advanced Magpulse (furious/corrosive/shattering) too which isn't quite a fair comparison since the Magshear is just a white gun, but I prefer the Magpulse's ammo efficiency. Fully modded, it's right up there with a Pacifier shotgun for clearing out enemy ships you've boarded or any other tight spaces. Still best to use a Grendel or Beowulf for wide open areas though, since 7mm ammo is practically unlimited and free.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Starfield is now my favorite Bethesda game ever.
You fucking moron. You're just lapping up the dog shit they give you when you don't even like the game at all if you could really be honest with yourself. You know you hate it but you can't admit you made a mistake buying it. Thanks for ruining gaming, sheep.

• 6Worf
  • 3Truth!
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 9 users

DickTrickle

Just had an amusing (bugged) experience. I was fighting a spacer jackal, took out its engines, and boarded it. However, no one was aboard. I looted it and when I undocked it started attacking me again. The spacers have some pretty good AI piloting, I guess.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm doing the Ryujin faction questline. I have mixed feeling about .

On one hand the missions themselves are fun because they mostly rely on stealh/social rather than be combat focused which is a nice change of pace. On the other hand, the first half is just mission that are not really connected together, there's no story to speak off, until about the halfway point where something happens and it suddenly becomes interesting.

It's my least favorite of the faction quest so far, aside from being stealth focused which makes it fun, it is pretty weak.

I haven't been able to complete the Freestar Rangers yet since it bugged out on me, but it was more interesting than this one.

I'm at the last step of Ryujin, I should be able to complete it tonight. Then I think I will do stuff for XP to get a few points I need for some crafting stuff. I may then try my hand at outpost building.

It sucks being back at work and only have 3-4 hours to play compared to last week being on vacation. :)

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I'm doing the Ryujin faction questline. I have mixed feeling about .

On one hand the missions themselves are fun because they mostly rely on stealh/social rather than be combat focused which is a nice change of pace. On the other hand, the first half is just mission that are not really connected together, there's no story to speak off, until about the halfway point where something happens and it suddenly becomes interesting.

It's my least favorite of the faction quest so far, aside from being stealth focused which makes it fun, it is pretty weak.

I haven't been able to complete the Freestar Rangers yet since it bugged out on me, but it was more interesting than this one.

I'm at the last step of Ryujin, I should be able to complete it tonight. Then I think I will do stuff for XP to get a few points I need for some crafting stuff. I may then try my hand at outpost building.

It sucks being back at work and only have 3-4 hours to play compared to last week being on vacation. :)
I think I'm maybe 5 or so missions in on that line. Agree, it's not the strongest, and I guess I haven't hit the event that you referring to. Mainly been random corporate espionage missions, which is neat to change up the game some. Guess I'll see how it pans out.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone made any giant warships with good success in combat? I've been using the Razorleaf and it kills great but I want to have a ship with a lot more cargo space. Plus, since I moved to very hard I've had to reload some of the encounters multiple times to beat them. Just wonder if I can built a fortress and not have it get chewed up (since I imagine the mobility of a large ship with huge cargo space is terrible).

I am in the same boat - I love Razorleaf and that was a great quest line too. It's also hilarious how everyone is afraid of the ship. I have ran into systems where "OH SHIT IT'S THE MANTIS!" :p

With that said, I really want a ship with more cargo too since it is the only universal way to pull resources from it for my house I have and I do not want to use the Lodge for that. I found this which may help and we have a lot of choices when it comes to more cargo ships.

I was looking at Silent Runner. That thing has 6,000 cargo space. :) Class C though so have to have the points in that. So for crafting, mining, etc take that ship out and then it pulls all resources from there, and when doing combat missions can always switch back to the Mantis.

Also, is there as way to respec skills? (Gogoled it - Nope)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I am in the same boat - I love Razorleaf and that was a great quest line too. It's also hilarious how everyone is afraid of the ship. I have ran into systems where "OH SHIT IT'S THE MANTIS!" :p

With that said, I really want a ship with more cargo too since it is the only universal way to pull resources from it for my house I have and I do not want to use the Lodge for that. I found this which may help and we have a lot of choices when it comes to more cargo ships.

I was looking at Silent Runner. That thing has 6,000 cargo space. :) Class C though so have to have the points in that. So for crafting, mining, etc take that ship out and then it pulls all resources from there, and when doing combat missions can always switch back to the Mantis.

I think just through the console. You could tally up your points, and just reallocate them the only problem is the various tasks and if you're okay with not having to complete them when you're leveling up your ranks. There might be a mod out there, but I don't believe there's an in-game system.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>

No respec, which I think they justify because there is no level cap. Fake Edit: I see you and others found this out already. The only good thing about using the Lodge is it lets me work on my weight lifting challenge by loading up resources and then sprinting back to the Lodge super over burdened.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No respec is kinda lame, but understandable given that much of the skill tree unlocks research or outposts options. I wouldn't trust Bethesda to have a respec that would delete outposts or remove researched items.

I went hard on outposts and research and am pretty sure that's not advised, the cost vs benefit compared to just using items you find in the world and investing in combat skills is not good.

I don't really care though, the combat is still easy and the outpost mechanic is fun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That "Dishonored" video displays one of the issues I have with stealth in this game. Making my fucking gun invisible. Some of them, like the gun he's using, are iron sights only. Even rifles often don't have a targeting reticle. So I'm trying to line up a sniper shot and I can't see my own fucking sights. I get that camouflage makes you sort of invisible, but even to yourself?? Obviously I just need to git gud because that guy has no problem with it, but he's also not really lining up long distance shots which I do all the time from stealth.

On a different topic, I'm now an expert at stealing ships on planets, and I still don't have the ship I want. Since I'm bored at work I'll give some of my findings if anyone cares. At this point I could just buy my own ship, but I'm going to keep at it until I get the fucking ship I wanted! Most of you won't care about stealing mediocre ships on the ground (as opposed to piracy in space), so just skip the rest if that's you.

The original video clip talked about landing on the moon Wellish, in the Cheyenne system. I forget the planet it is next to, but it is towards the right of the system map. He said you need to land at the Abandoned Bionics Factory to initiate the events. I have since determined that is bullshit, he just got lucky that it randomly happened at that spot.

If you pick a random spot (or a PoI) on a planet and land, outside of scripted events there is a random chance that another ship will land somewhere nearby. They will almost always appear within 10 seconds of you stepping outside of your ship, and you can hear them very distinctly, but I always wait at least a minute or so. And it is entirely possible that some can land later, but unless you are actively exploring why wait? Just take off and land in another spot and do it again, it will be apparent whether or not it worked in 10 or so seconds.

Sometimes the ship just drops 4'ish guys off and then takes off again, and it is always too far away to get to before that happens. However, if it doesn't take off again within 30 seconds or so, it will likely stay and you can try to sneak on. It has nothing to do with Abandoned Bionics Factory or anything else, as I found one of those on another planet and tried saving and landing on it a dozen times and the event never happened.

It also seems that the planet/moon itself, and the location in space, has some effect on the chances of ships landing. I tried it a bunch of times in UC space and nothing ever happened. Maybe I just got unlucky, but I have way better luck with planets in the Freestar Rangers territory, which Wellish is in. Other locations may have good chances too, but I limited my scope a bit because I didn't want to stray too far, and the video happened on Wellish so I know it can spawn there, just have to get lucky.

I tried a bunch of other planets in those systems, and ships landed, and often totally different ships than what I see on Wellish. Again, could just be RNG since I don't really have that big of a sample size (maybe 50 total landings, with many of those just taking off again), but it is always possible that different planets/factions have different random ship landings. Could account for why I don't see Ecliptic or Va'ruun landing in UC space. And according to the video, Ecliptic is the ship I want. I've gotten a smaller one several times, just not the one I want.

It also seems that I get more landings if I choose the night side of a planet, but again, could be RNG. I also seem to get more on icy planets, but again, who knows.

Long story short, they might be able to land anywhere, but if you want the maximum number of chances go to Wellish and pick the night side, somewhere random, doesn't seem to matter. I've stolen like 15 total ships, a couple of UC, one colony ship even, many Ecliptic and Va'ruun, and my latest is called a Raptor and is pretty decent aside from the absolute shit cargo hold (220 maybe?). Of course I also took over a couple of pirate ships that attacked me, one is a Spacer Coyote that has something like 2250 cargo space, but is underpowered and slow. Still, holds more shit than anything else I have.

If you've seen the video talking about stealing the ship I mentioned, he says that you have to sneak on without the guards outside seeing you or it will take off immediately. That's mostly true. One ship I couldn't sneak past no matter what because of the excessive number of guards (seems to randomly be 2-7 or so, usually around 3-4). So I just sprinted to the hatch and clicked it (by the way, sometimes you have to lockpick it, but since it freezes time during that it is fine). It let me on, but since the guys had seen me, as soon as I loaded into the ship it took off and I had another blip black loading screen and now we were in space. I assume that if I hadn't clicked to get in, I'd be flying across the surface like that video above. Once you're on the ship you just kill a few guys and the ship is yours if you have the piloting skill for it. All the ones that have been on the ground first were the lowest level (is A the lowest, or C? I think A). One that attacked me in space, the Spacer Coyote, was a B and I had to leave it and go kill ships in the simulator then come back with improved skill so I could fly it away. It was actually still there, but slightly bugged with a turret activating out of nowhere and I had to leave and come back a couple of times to get the quest to steal it to pop up again.

One last thing. I see why they don't make it more lucrative, as you would quickly become stupid rich doing this, but it is kind of bullshit that I steal an entire fucking starship and can't sell it for as much profit as a couple of decent guns. You'd think there would be a stellar chop shop or something that at least pays for unregistered ships to part out. I often get more straight credits from the captain's safe. Oh, and once you sell one, make sure to immediately go to the Trade Authority kiosk nearby and sell the hundreds of foam containers and bowls and cups and shit that suddenly got dumped in your home ship's hold. Literally everything on the ship that can be looted gets dumped into your home ship after selling. Not entirely positive about safes that aren't picked or such, but cargo hold definitely moves. Nothing like trying to pick up shit in space but you can't because you didn't realize that your hold is now full of 500 notepads.

The only other thing of note is that if you get a ship you want to keep, you'll be flying around with dead bodies and blood stains until you modify the ship and move parts around to sort of refresh them. Not a big deal but kind of amusing.

I know, tl;dr, but I am bored and I have dedicated the last two nights to this. And will again tonight since I still don't have the ship in that video. I'm sure I could have completed some quests for a better ship by now, or even just earned enough credits to buy/build one, but I figure why not obsess about something like this now when I can actually use some of the ships, as opposed to later when I won't use any of them?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Quick question, is there any skill or a way to be able to scan a planet from orbit, and show you the randomly generated points of interest? I know you always see the pre-established ones and then just kind of explore from there, but if you take any of those scanning skills up high enough do they allow you to see the random by the lab or abandoned military facility?