Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Would you think it was weird if video game characters, in every single game, started asking you if you have 10 fingers and 10 toes at the beginning of each conversation, and told you how many they have? Would that seem weird and unnecessary to you, especially if it's in every single game and isn't even remotely relevant to the story?

Do you think it's weird that male and female is no longer an option in most games? That characters ask and report pronouns? That gays are overrepresented in every piece of media?

This stuff would have been laughably out of place and absurd 10 years ago. But today, you're handwaving it away because "it was barely noticable" or whatever.

That's fine. Enjoy your game. But I don't know how you can shrug it off AND say this isn't evidence that the Overton window has shifted.

You can't. Its all true.

I just ignore it. Hell I didn't even realize you could change pronouns here until someone pointed it out a while ago. Just not something I noticed at all in character creation.

Though for example bg3 was a lot more in my face, but for an RPG having horny companions/npcs that will sleep with anyone(sex or race doesn't matter) was normal to me. I can remember multiple RPGs that did it and much farther back then 10 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Would you think it was weird if video game characters, in every single game, started asking you if you have 10 fingers and 10 toes at the beginning of each conversation, and told you how many they have? Would that seem weird and unnecessary to you, especially if it's in every single game and isn't even remotely relevant to the story?

Do you think it's weird that male and female is no longer an option in most games? That characters ask and report pronouns? That gays are overrepresented in every piece of media?

This stuff would have been laughably out of place and absurd 10 years ago. But today, you're handwaving it away because "it was barely noticable" or whatever.

That's fine. Enjoy your game. But I don't know how you can shrug it off AND say this isn't evidence that the Overton window has shifted.
bell%C3%ADsimo-tit%C3%ADfern%C3%A1ndez.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
That gays are overrepresented in every piece of media?
For video games I think this one is completely bullshit. The fact that romanceable characters in an RPG will adapt to the player's preference is not the same thing. That is just the game accommodating the story the player wants. Outside of open-ended RPGs specifically built to accommodate player agency/preference, gays are actually underrepresented. And no, one or two series having a LOT of queer characters (probably too many in the case of at least one series that shall not be mentioned) does not offset the fact that the vast majority of story-driven games have none.

Most of your complaints seem to be that games, particularly open-ended RPGs where players get to create their own character, have more OPTIONS now. If you don't choose those options, and just play a standard soldier brodude with he/him pronouns, like >60% of players will choose automatically (60% of Mass Effect players choose male shep with 40% picking soldier despite being the most boring of 6 or 7 classes) then the existence of additional options does not affect you in any way. You are literally complaining that people who are not you have additional buttons to click on in a character creator that they did not previously have.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Player sexual NPCs works better anyways. Remember all the complaints in Cyberpunk because everything was hard locked?

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
So, I did the Vanguard simulator missions and after those... I have a fucking asteroid field attached to my ship?

rocks.jpg

I can't even get all of it on the screen. The blue dot in the lower left is my ship location.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rofl.

Just have to go back a save before and try again. I've only used the simulator a few times to get the pilot skill up.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Player sexual NPCs works better anyways. Remember all the complaints in Cyberpunk because everything was hard locked?
It really depends on the developers intent. If these are deeply developed characters with rich backstories, especially ones that are supposed to exist in our modern or historical real world, then giving them distinct preferences is correct. If they're just fantasy bimbos and himbos for the players to toy with, then just give the player whatever they want.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
For video games I think this one is completely bullshit. The fact that romanceable characters in an RPG will adapt to the player's preference is not the same thing. That is just the game accommodating the story the player wants. Outside of open-ended RPGs specifically built to accommodate player agency/preference, gays are actually underrepresented. And no, one or two series having a LOT of queer characters (probably too many in the case of at least one series that shall not be mentioned) does not offset the fact that the vast majority of story-driven games have none.

Most of your complaints seem to be that games, particularly open-ended RPGs where players get to create their own character, have more OPTIONS now. If you don't choose those options, and just play a standard soldier brodude with he/him pronouns, like >60% of players will choose automatically (60% of Mass Effect players choose male shep with 40% picking soldier despite being the most boring of 6 or 7 classes) then the existence of additional options does not affect you in any way. You are literally complaining that people who are not you have additional buttons to click on in a character creator that they did not previously have.
Blah blah blah. The conversation was about whether or not the Overton window has shifted. I'm not interested in debating with you about how more gays = gooder. But you are a legitimate fucking retard if you think gay "stuff" and crazy gender shit in games was present 10 years ago at anywhere close to the same prevalence as it is today. I don't care if you like it or aren't bothered by it or think it's an accurate representation of the world or whatever. You are a stupid human being if you think this was normal 10 years ago and the only thing that's changed is people got more sensitive to it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
You are a stupid human being if you think this was normal 10 years ago and the only thing that's changed is people got more sensitive to it.
What I'm saying is that 10 years ago it was normal to have way less options. And you are being stupid for saying that less options is somehow better. The availability of options does not harm your experience aside from how you imagine it does.

Meanwhile a game like BG3 you could legitimately say is harming you, since the characters go out of their way to approach you sexually regardless of your/their gender. Yet nobody seems to really care because that's a good game. I personally found it annoying as shit, though it turns out some of it is a series of bugs.

But for 99% of games that aren't BG3, the fact that you CAN pursue a same-sex romance or you CAN specify pronouns different from your body type at character creation has no negative impact on you if you choose not to utilize those options. It's like being mad because a game has too many character classes when you only want to play 1 or 2.

• 1Faggotry

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Nothing in games "harms" you, but you sure do bitch about games often as well.
A bunch of gay shit is annoying. Tranny stuff is downright retarded. These lessen my enjoyment of the game, just like characters missing eyelids does. I could give a fuck less if it makes sense to you because the world is full of retards that don't share my opinions.

again, the comment was "the Overton window has shifted". I am correct, and you like gay shit. Write your response in your diary and Move on with your life.

• 1Solidarity

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What I'm saying is that 10 years ago it was normal to have way less options. And you are being stupid for saying that less options is somehow better. The availability of options does not harm your experience aside from how you imagine it does.

Meanwhile a game like BG3 you could legitimately say is harming you, since the characters go out of their way to approach you sexually regardless of your/their gender. Yet nobody seems to really care because that's a good game. I personally found it annoying as shit, though it turns out some of it is a series of bugs.

But for 99% of games that aren't BG3, the fact that you CAN pursue a same-sex romance or you CAN specify pronouns different from your body type at character creation has no negative impact on you if you choose not to utilize those options. It's like being mad because a game has too many character classes when you only want to play 1 or 2.
Did you parachute into the BG3 thread? It certainly felt like a lot of us were complaining, in the first few days, about the faggot romance pickup option, from every single character, breaking immersion.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So, I did the Vanguard simulator missions and after those... I have a fucking asteroid field attached to my ship?

View attachment 490780

I can't even get all of it on the screen. The blue dot in the lower left is my ship location.
I've got a couple following me now, but not the entire field like you do. I've not had any weird bugs the entire time I've been playing, and I wonder if the patch they did the other day screwed with something. I'm also not running any mods. I haven't seen any characters float off into the either. Just weird.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've got a couple following me now, but not the entire field like you do. I've not had any weird bugs the entire time I've been playing, and I wonder if the patch they did the other day screwed with something. I'm also not running any mods. I haven't seen any characters float off into the either. Just weird.
Wasn't is linked earlier in the thread about someone's ship, on reddit, flying around attached to The Eye and maybe the Wolf station?

• 1Worf

DickTrickle

Yeah, it's strange since PC should have only gotten three minor big fixes. I had my only two crashes after the patch, too.

DickTrickle

Wasn't is linked earlier in the thread about someone's ship, on reddit, flying around attached to The Eye and maybe the Wolf station?
I kind of chalked that up to people using console commands to get Reddit attention, but maybe they were legit. Saw another post about the rocks sticking to the ship today, too.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I kind of chalked that up to people using console commands to get Reddit attention, but maybe they were legit. Saw another post about the rocks sticking to the ship today, too.
[Insert National Lampoon's Vacation joke about Asteroids] I was going to Simulator my way to Piloting rank 4 tonight but I get its those bounties/Ranger targets unlucky night instead.

We did this earlier in the thread so not to repeat myself: It's not so much about having gay options in romances for the PLAYER, its the whole spectrum of Gender Ideology and Left-Wing "California-ism" as Az put it in his rant. The number of the gay marriages of NPCs stands out to me; I don't care about Barrett waxing on about his long dead husband but by the time I am on the fourth mission where I am dealing with a different same sex couple, this time trying to recover stolen gay engagement ring for UC police in New Atlantis, it feels a little like The Message™.

And while you have a good point about giving a player options/choices in responses isn't a bad thing, its a terrible look to say how "it doesn't harm your experience aside from how you imagine it does": One's experience is a subjective thing; it's hard for someone else to say what does or doesn't harm it. By some measure it could just be the totality, the cumulative effect the little things adding up, as we saw in the previous discussion. The Overton Window movement is there, no doubt. For me, if its player choice its fine; its the <Current day politics> stuff that is in the game that detracts from the escapism that pushes many to make those comments.

For me, as politically strident and as ideologically sensitive as they come, a larger problem I have is with Constellation and the lack of morally grey companions. I typically at least on a first run paladin/boy scout it up but these MFers are ridiculous. Forget the critics, has CONSTELLATION never played a BETHESDA game (YOURE IN ONE). Constellation doesn't have a need for a single anti-hero/ shrug-and-get-things-done-rogue-with-a-heart-of-gold-pre-A-New-Hope-Han-Solo? No Good/Bad-I'm the guy with gun Ash? There are a thousand ways to make that work but seems like they didn't want to have even a slightly morally complex character in Constellation. Sarah will bitch about my taking items marked as stealing from a guy who just tried to melt our faces off. "Shut up, Sarah, you would be plasma resin if that asshole had anything to say about it. He isn't going to miss these credsticks."

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it's strange since PC should have only gotten three minor big fixes. I had my only two crashes after the patch, too.
I've had one, but apart from the asteroids and the one crash, everything has been fine, apart from the game not being optimized. Only other deal is the lag with switching weapons if you've got crap in your inventory.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I was going to Simulator my way to Piloting rank 4 tonight but I get its those bounties/Ranger targets unlucky night instead.
I finally went back and finished the mission to repair the colonists satellite and fight off the spacers. When I originally did it it was pretty early in the game and I got my ass handed to me. Now that I've got the razor leaf and I've upgraded it, went back and completed the mission. The nice part is you end up killing a lot of ships, which allowed me to get the fourth rank of piloting, maybe 15 or so. If you're looking to rank up the skill you might want to go check out that particular deal. I don't remember how I got it it may have been a random communication when I went into the system, but it's in one of the starting systems.

Fun little side quest though. You end up picking up quite a bit of loot at the end, and if you're fairly early in the game, probably find some upgrades and a good chunk of cash, also some chances to maybe steal a ship or two.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I really need to dump my cargo hold. I keep adding more cargo capacity to it and the game is just bitching to me about my maneuverability constantly when I'm in the ship builder.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Only thing that sucks about having no cargo hold space is you can't loot destroyed ships in space while flying around

• 1Like