Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
How long after release do you all think it will take for someone to upload a mod that lets you have sex with alien wildlife?

Well it's pretty easy to import the skeletons and animations for bipedal humanoids, but I'm having problems making the animations of quadrupeds with the knees backwards work for doggystyle. If you wanna flip them over for missionary it's pretty easy to hold the ankles spread.

We will probably need a few days and some input from the rest of FoH on how to handle positions and animations for aliens with more than 4 legs. It might take a week or so to get that alpha going.

Also I'm good at animations and rigging the skeletons but I need some of you to step up on some creative, high quality textures for penises and labia. Send me your rough concepts by the end of day Sunday.

• 4Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'll be honest, I haven't played a Star Wars game since possibly Dark Forces. The prequels soured me on Star Wars, and then the more recent ones just killed any desire I ever had. I did play the original X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and maybe one or two others around there, and while I remember enjoying them, my memory puts them as being not on the same level of fun as Wing Commander in terms of the actual dogfighting. My memory could be faulty however.

I have not played Chorus, pretty sure I've played Everspace and it didn't do anything for me, but I could totally be thinking of a different game and talking out of my ass. Star Citizen...you mean it has actual good space combat? I did pledge the basic tier however many decades ago that was, and I did load up the demo a few times over the years, but I honestly don't know if I ever even got into a fucking ship, it was so confusing. Maybe I'll check it out again, since I already have it, but are you sure it has good combat??

House of the Dying Sun does look pretty good, I'll give you that. It might be what I'm looking for, although it is a little difficult to tell from that cut up trailer, but I'll check into it further. This will sound stupid I'm sure, but it almost looks too clean though. Not saying I want shitty 80s/90s graphics, but you know what I mean. Everything looks sterile and perfect. Maybe I'm just not seeing enough of the game.

Since I haven't really played any of these games, which ones are just jumping into various ships and blowing shit up like WC? I don't want to build ships, I don't want to manage bases, I don't want to establish trade routes and explore new worlds. I want to have a hottie like Angel tell me she needs me to defend the ship against some giant cats at all costs, or go blow them the fuck up, with my good buddy Maniac, now get my ass in a ship! That's it. I have a feeling that Star Wars Squadrons is probably like that, but I've never even looked at it so I'm just guessing.
Chorus was great, but not really a flight sim.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I'll be honest, I haven't played a Star Wars game since possibly Dark Forces. The prequels soured me on Star Wars, and then the more recent ones just killed any desire I ever had. I did play the original X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and maybe one or two others around there, and while I remember enjoying them, my memory puts them as being not on the same level of fun as Wing Commander in terms of the actual dogfighting. My memory could be faulty however.

I have not played Chorus, pretty sure I've played Everspace and it didn't do anything for me, but I could totally be thinking of a different game and talking out of my ass. Star Citizen...you mean it has actual good space combat? I did pledge the basic tier however many decades ago that was, and I did load up the demo a few times over the years, but I honestly don't know if I ever even got into a fucking ship, it was so confusing. Maybe I'll check it out again, since I already have it, but are you sure it has good combat??

House of the Dying Sun does look pretty good, I'll give you that. It might be what I'm looking for, although it is a little difficult to tell from that cut up trailer, but I'll check into it further. This will sound stupid I'm sure, but it almost looks too clean though. Not saying I want shitty 80s/90s graphics, but you know what I mean. Everything looks sterile and perfect. Maybe I'm just not seeing enough of the game.

Since I haven't really played any of these games, which ones are just jumping into various ships and blowing shit up like WC? I don't want to build ships, I don't want to manage bases, I don't want to establish trade routes and explore new worlds. I want to have a hottie like Angel tell me she needs me to defend the ship against some giant cats at all costs, or go blow them the fuck up, with my good buddy Maniac, now get my ass in a ship! That's it. I have a feeling that Star Wars Squadrons is probably like that, but I've never even looked at it so I'm just guessing.
You should try Rebel Galaxy. If you want Real DogFighting™ like WC/WC2, I think the sequel Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is oriented in direction, but I was hoping for the more capital ship-level combat of the original. It's story missions and random missions and you can trade and haul stuff and outfit your ship and visit different stations and sectors and that's it.

EDIT: RE: Starfield, if they get Skyrim in space, I am up for that. When the Showcase started, I was wow'ed but as it went on, (I really liked the OG Destiny vibe they giving off at the start with their design language) I got downcast because they were seeming to super over-promise in every gameplay aspect. Look, if we get Mass Effect combined with current day No Man's Sky combined with Privateer done in Gamebryo (blech) well then fine; maybe there is a 120GB version of that out there that isn't Bethesda-verse level of bug-ridden FallOut76 trash. Maybe the extra year for polish helped and Microsoft was able to provide them with programmers and QC/Xbox folks that got them across the finish line in style.

I want to believe. I want to believe so much I bought a stupid controller.

I am not going to take a week off of work for a Bethesda game, though.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Lol

Bethesda and Gamebryo (We can call it that because that is exactly what it still is regardless of name) regardless of bolt on marketing spun systems, is a train wreck of epic proportions.

I liked what I saw in the gameplay trailer, and it's on Gamepass (I would get it anyway) but these idiots damn near had to cancel space all together because of it.
I want to be mean and call you a negative nancy trying to rain my hype parade but tbh Gamebryo is broke and old and Bethesda should've done something with the 50 years since Skyrim's release to put it out to pasture finally.

Imagine a world where Bethesda ditched Gamebryo, built a new Creation engine on top of Unreal, and open-sourced the tools for massively deep mods.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

I do understand why they stuck with it: Super modable, the in-house devs are familiar with it, and they own the code

FO76 at least evidenced how you can do a really large outdoor setting in the engine after they tweaked it. Since this is single player and you don’t need to worry about rendering the world beyond the player’s FOV, they can probably push that even further

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I want to be mean and call you a negative nancy trying to rain my hype parade but tbh Gamebryo is broke and old and Bethesda should've done something with the 50 years since Skyrim's release to put it out to pasture finally.

Imagine a world where Bethesda ditched Gamebryo, built a new Creation engine on top of Unreal, and open-sourced the tools for massively deep mods.
Of course, if they had decided to build a new full engine rather than upgrading the current one, we would probably still be multiple years out from Starfield, to say nothing of future titles.

I'm pretty patient by nature, but I'm not sure I'm down for a 20-year gap between Elder Scrolls titles, even if it means a better engine.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would be more excited if I could play this with friends.

• 1Picard

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Of course, if they had decided to build a new full engine rather than upgrading the current one, we would probably still be multiple years out from Starfield, to say nothing of future titles.

I'm pretty patient by nature, but I'm not sure I'm down for a 20-year gap between Elder Scrolls titles, even if it means a better engine.
Why not both a 20 year wait and an old engine. We’re most of the way to 20 years already, and I see no sign of es6 releasing in the next few years.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Why not both a 20 year wait and an old engine. We’re most of the way to 20 years already, and I see no sign of es6 releasing in the next few years.
Having an old engine - or a new engine that looks old (I'm talking pixelated like Starsector) - does not have to be bad if you either have a good modding community or dev team. Freelancer is an example of a 20 year space game engine that is still viable today thanks to the modding community. And if they were to hand over the source code, as happened with both Open X-com and Open TTD, then the communities can create fantastic things with it.

• 1Like

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
I did notice the characters looked like they were from 15 years ago in that video. Surprisingly ugly and low detail for 2023.
Bethesda the master of game feeling old, shit I will never for get the first time I play FO4 and my muscle memory kicked in and I tried to slide; I was like “this feel old”

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
And if they were to hand over the source code,
I saw a twitch streamer playing some heavily modded Freelancer the other day. Crazy people are still playing it. I do still have some of my old source from my time working there, but it is several years before freelancer was released, and only some of the library team tools (petal and rose stuff).

Microsoft is getting good at open-sourcing stuff, has anyone asked them for it? They should be warned that it is some fairly gnarly ++ stuff. Lots of comlike stuff and weird templates and confusing inheritance.

• 1Like

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider

Oh 20-year gap between elder scrolls tell that to the fallout fans on the thread. It’s about to be 10yo

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would be more excited if I could play this with friends.
You saying this after 76
computer rage GIF

• 1Salty

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I'm holding out (very possibly vain) hope that it'll end up being closer to 15 than 20. Hopefully Starfield will've seen them knock out most of the engine updates for the next little while, and TES6's development time won't be measured in geologic epochs.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I saw a twitch streamer playing some heavily modded Freelancer the other day. Crazy people are still playing it. I do still have some of my old source from my time working there, but it is several years before freelancer was released, and only some of the library team tools (petal and rose stuff).

Microsoft is getting good at open-sourcing stuff, has anyone asked them for it? They should be warned that it is some fairly gnarly ++ stuff. Lots of comlike stuff and weird templates and confusing inheritance.
I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone who could do that, or failing it, recode it. I think that most of the X-com and TTD stuff has by now been recoded, mainly to ease mod support. I mean, in the end, all you really need are the media files (graphics, sound..) and the formulas for how things interact with each other and then you can code the game anew for modern engines.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Did they ever mention mod support at all? Creation Kit coming launch or something? Paid mods support this time for real?