Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
At no point during the 10 year long development cycle did no one, not even a summer intern, raise their hands and say 'ummm this is Mass Effect...'?

• 2Worf
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
My son and I are both huge Fallout and Skyrim fans but we were always suspicious about what was being said and what was likely the case about Starfield. Interestingly, it is exactly lacking in the key department (meaningful, open, unguided exploration) that would make me get into it. Both of us have lost complete interest. I downloaded it on Gamepass and haven't even launched it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
The company literally said you would have the freedom to fly around where you want. Review embargoes to release date and hands you this pile of shit. It doesn't even matter if there are some decent parts of the game. In fucking 2023, a SPACE game hyped up to be this super explorable, freedom flying game, and you can't even fly your ship off of the ground, or fly to an object in space, or fly to a planet. Just pressing fast travel after fast travel. Combined with a gameplay system that is about 25% as good as fallout or skyrim, dogshit storyline, no charm, no immersion, bad gunplay, barren landscapes, uninspired towns and npcs, no diverse enemies, a tacked on gathering system. Fuck them if anyone spent money on this they should do a refund.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

just a side note: BG3 has more than double the players on steam right now
Not surprising, some of that is the Game Pass effect.

288k viewers watching Starfield on Twitch, less than 18k watching BG3.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
288k viewers watching Starfield on Twitch, less than 18k watching BG3.
This has everything to do with the way Twitch works and the fact the internet has an attention span of 2 weeks max. If BG3 is a 10, Starfield is a fucking 3.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This has everything to do with the way Twitch works and the fact the internet has an attention span of 2 weeks max. If BG3 is a 10, Starfield is a fucking 3.
No one says it was a metric for game quality. It's just silly to cite Steam stats when Gamepass obviously would have a ton of users and the game isn't even in full access yet.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Much like Twitter, the world would be better off if we pretended Twitch didn't exist.

• 5Like

Otto

I'm not that far but I'm loving the game so far.

369688996_10161431787654783_7995956018479020682_n.jpg

• 13Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 15 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Think about how for most of the crowd in their early to mid 20s Skyrim was a pivotal game of their childhood. Comparatively Morrowind was more of a niche game to the PC nerds a decade earlier.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The company literally said you would have the freedom to fly around where you want. Review embargoes to release date and hands you this pile of shit. It doesn't even matter if there are some decent parts of the game. In fucking 2023, a SPACE game hyped up to be this super explorable, freedom flying game, and you can't even fly your ship off of the ground, or fly to an object in space, or fly to a planet. Just pressing fast travel after fast travel. Combined with a gameplay system that is about 25% as good as fallout or skyrim, dogshit storyline, no charm, no immersion, bad gunplay, barren landscapes, uninspired towns and npcs, no diverse enemies, a tacked on gathering system. Fuck them if anyone spent money on this they should do a refund.
Holy fuck the amount of BS negativity here. While I have a fair number of things I would criticize about the game, its not a flying simulation; its an RPG game in Sci-Fi setting where you can fly space ships. Is this just counter-hype? Not just Brodhi, I mean everyone who feeding the impression that since Starfield didn't personally give you a handjob IGN was too generous at a 7/10.

It's very much more like Mass Effect with No Man's Sky Elements, than Star Citizen or No Man's Sky with RPG elements, SC which has had a troubled Dev process that needs to recounting and NMS, which if anyone remembers had an ALL-TIME shitty launch that rivaled Cyberpunk's; it nearly destroyed Hello Games and almost ruined Sean Murray's reputation. It took years of free content releases and updates to make it anything like it was promised to be.

EDIT: It looks way better than any Creation engine game (Creation 2? whatever) has a right to look; hopefully BGS does a CD Projeckt RED and go over to the Unreal Engine for Elder Scrolls. Planetside combat is good. The little bit of space combat I did was good/OK Fwiw. Need more time with it obviously.

Things I don't like:
I don't think I like the skill tree; It goes from specific to general in my reading so far, while I believe it should be the opposite, and if I have heard it correctly it takes a ton of points to unlock the upper ranks of each skill? Edit Part 2: The Video I was watching was discussing Rank 4 SKILLS (like the fourth row of skills in each tree, physical, social, combat, etc, and not the 4th rank of EACH skill) as far as the number of points required to reach. Oh thank goodness. I am still fairly low level (only level 6 now) but I think preferred the Skyrim/Morrowind method of leveling by doing, and getting skillpoints in the things you use contributing towards your level.

There seems to be too many ammo types? So many so far. It doesn't seem to be any reason to take combat skills, all of my points have gone into other things.

Nothing is very well explained. I had to watch tons of videos today to figure of how to not show my space suit in town, put stuff in my ship's inventory rather than carry it in missions, sell from inventory, all kinds of things that should be readily explained.

My 7900XTX/7700X/64GB runs everything at 4K ultra and at least 60FPS with no sweat. I had a couple of AMD driver crashes on Mars until I realized I hadn't checked for new drivers, once I updated no further issues.

All kinds of control issues on the PC aren't explained well; XBOX didn't have any of these issues, as my daughter was playing the XBOX series X version in 4K, which looked great and with the Starfield controller, it was a breeze for her.

Hopefully with the game out and the hype bubble burst, people's expectations will be returned to normal and people will be restored to sanity.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity

Caliane

"I'm working!"
I'm a bit surprised they didn't have something for this, since it was such a meme in skyrim. Even if they didn't have the npc react.. have the audio get muffled, and echo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Game started agonizingly slow to me, now that I've gotten a dozen or so hours in it's really coming together and feeling like a classic BGS game. If that's your thing, you'll like this game quite a bit I think - if you are just kind of "meh" on Skyrim/FO this is not for you.

Biggest complaints so far - no HDR settings/adjustments and impossible to get it to work on my monitor, in fact to get a decent image I have to overlay GEFORCE and adjust brightness, etc in game. Loading screens - I get that they had the ambition to make the "biggest world we've ever made" which is akin to Larian saying "we have 162000 endings!11" - Horseshit. If all your endings suck (BG3) and all of your massive world is locked behind invisible doors, your ambition outstretched your ability (technically or otherwise).

Also, no mini map for cities? No vendor names? The fuck? It's annoying as all hell to have quests in a city (they look pretty great btw) and have no idea where to get to get lock picks, whatever.

Space combat - probably my least favorite part of the game so far. It's basic but rather difficult unless you're spending a ton of $ upgrading/buying ships, and it's not fun enough for me to feel compelled to mess with.

All that said, I was having decent fun up to now, but last 2 hours I've been having a blast following main story and getting in a rhythm - for a lot of people, 10 hours+ is WAY too long to get you introduced to the systems and find your footing I fully understand that. I'm a BGS homer though, so to me Skyrim/Morrowind in space is great but having everything broken up so much does lose that grand sense of scale from those games. I have had a few Morrowind "awww fuck yeah" moments the past few hours though. Music is great, but feels like its too spartan - could use more space opera. Not sure how to rate this yet, should have 30 hours by end of weekend and will report back.

This game has the potential to be insane with mods, and time but at the moment I get all ends of the review scoring spectrum. Hopefully this is the last game these guys ever make with their POS in house engines and they make their lives easier going forward. Game actually kind of feels like CP2077 to me at launch - a game I loved at launch (running on high end pc) and improved tremedously over time.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users