Starsector (formerly Starfarer)

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Starsector

Really fun top down indy space ship shooter/sim. Combat is amazing with small ships being able to do a lot of fancy manuevering while big ships focus on managing energy/heat/shields.

Been in dev for a long time like 1-3 man show. Gets updates sometimes months apart. But pretty cheap and something I find myself keep returning to every major update. And what I think is kinda nice, is he's not afraid to make some fairly major revamps in way certain weapons work etc.

Looking for a good demo video have this, A bit long but I like this guys overview though it's several updates back. But easy to listen to/slightly funny and explains a fair bit. Oh, and the AI is pretty damn good to fight against. Demo'd in the guys second fight.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Threadromancing this thread. I've never heard of this shit until today. But this kind of this is exactly the kind of game my form of autism gets a major hard on for. khorum khorum Gavinmad Gavinmad might be equally as interested.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel like the main thing Khorum and I have in common right now is both being triggered at being lumped together like that.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Threadromancing this thread. I've never heard of this shit until today. But this kind of this is exactly the kind of game my form of autism gets a major hard on for. khorum khorum Gavinmad Gavinmad might be equally as interested.

I remember following this back when it came up in the SPAZ subreddit years ago. Is it on steam EA now?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I feel like the main thing Khorum and I have in common right now is both being triggered at being lumped together like that.

Both of you fags like Oxygen Not Included just as I do. So shut your pie hole. khorum khorum you still gotta buy it on their website with a payment site built in 2001 and never updated. Like buying a game from a quality back alley dealer.

• 1Worf

Sludig

Didn't expect this to be bumped. Love the shot out of it. Need to email them for my key again

Sludig

Watched video, really come a long way since I touched it a little over a year ago. Some of the modded ships near the end are hilarious or very nice looking.

Forget emailing old key, think I'll just re-buy at $15. Funny because of that video they basically got DDOS'd though.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I watch all this guys vids prob one of the most brilliant youtubers in existence

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I bought this game. Started on normal difficulty doing the tutorial. Got to the step when you had to liberate the inner jump gate (after you build a fleet from salvage) and am getting my ass handed to me. If I'm having troubles this early...

I assume I need to grind a little? Thoughts/Tips?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I bought this game. Started on normal difficulty doing the tutorial. Got to the step when you had to liberate the inner jump gate (after you build a fleet from salvage) and am getting my ass handed to me. If I'm having troubles this early...

I am starting it tonight. Like anything, just keep at it boyo.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Robbaz is streaming this on twitch right now if anyone wants to check it out. Imma buy this shit tonight

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sseth really likes games with complexity, which is what I really like about games most of the time too. These kind of open ended batshit games just mean you can do some awesome awesome shit in them if you're creative.

My Merry Band of Pirates will begin their journey tonight! Will be in Discord to commiserate.

Last edited:

Sludig

I havn't played the new tutorial. But the game certainly requires a learning curve on fighting well. Knowing how to maintain ideal distance that is good for you/bad for enemy and allows better dodging of some fire. Knowing when to safely vent and not just leave your shield up all the time. What weapons work well and what don't. When I last played some of the starting ships were really rough choices. (no shields or just otherwise requiring a lot more skill)

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I havn't played the new tutorial. But the game certainly requires a learning curve on fighting well. Knowing how to maintain ideal distance that is good for you/bad for enemy and allows better dodging of some fire. Knowing when to safely vent and not just leave your shield up all the time. What weapons work well and what don't. When I last played some of the starting ships were really rough choices. (no shields or just otherwise requiring a lot more skill)

It's not very clear, but I figured it out.

There are 2 groups of pirate ships. You essentially kite one group away from the other and engage which makes it much more manageable. Once you kill that group the other group will run away.

I just let the AI (for now) control all ships and I just directed the fleet who to attack.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm getting absolutely terrible sub 30FPS on this game... can't figure out why. Upgraded my entire PC earlier this year and it isn't exactly like this game is hard on graphics.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Goddammit, TJT TJT .... I'm already behind on savage raiding in FFXIV because Oxygen Not Included released and now I'm fucking balls deep into this shit.

I'm getting absolutely terrible sub 30FPS on this game... can't figure out why. Upgraded my entire PC earlier this year and it isn't exactly like this game is hard on graphics.

It runs on java lol.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Goddammit, TJT TJT .... I'm already behind on savage raiding in FFXIV because Oxygen Not Included released and now I'm fucking balls deep into this shit.

It runs on java lol.

When I can figure out how to resolve my 12 FPS when doing anything I'll be right behind you lol.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
had to take a few day break to go camping but i'm loving this game so far, what a hidden gem, thanks seth!