Starsector (formerly Starfarer)

khorum

Murder Apologist
When I can figure out how to resolve my 12 FPS when doing anything I'll be right behind you lol.

When you get those datapad things that buff stuff like increased shield arcs and whatnot, do they apply to your flagship when you right-click it or what?

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
When you get those datapad things that buff stuff like increased shield arcs and whatnot, do they apply to your flagship when you right-click it or what?
>.< Those just unlock mods to add to your ships in the refit screen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Still not finding a resolution to my 15FPS gameplay. Which is a bunch of bullshit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
That is super weird. Do you have a Java SDK installed for whatever reason? Might be conflicting with the JRE they ship with.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Prolly shouldn't have gone with a carrier build on my first playthrough. I have 6 colonies, a 1.6+ million/month income, my carrier fleet melts everything that floats into range and I STILL have only the vaguest idea about shooting shit and how shield flux management actually works.

• 1Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I have been following this game since 2012. It is one of the biggest hidden gems I have ever played.

It is fairly complex to get into it with so many different ships and weapons in vanilla. But once you get pass the initial learning phase, god it has so much to offer when it comes down to huge epic ship to ship combat and space sandbox exploration/conquest, especially with all the mods.

Highly highly recommend!

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sludig

I have been following this game since 2012. It is one of the biggest hidden gems I have ever played.

It is fairly complex to get into it with so many different ships and weapons in vanilla. But once you get pass the initial learning phase, god it has so much to offer when it comes down to huge epic ship to ship combat and space sandbox exploration/conquest, especially with all the mods.

Highly highly recommend!

View attachment 219616
Love the red ships, the top left tan colored one and the lockpick shaped one next to it. Which mods? I havn't dived into that yet. I havn't played in a year and a half so vanilla has lots of new content I'm exploring. Not a ton of time to play. At the awkward trying to transition into a mainly heavy cruiser/capital fleet and almost went bankrupt a few times with the increased supply/fuel costs.

Ships seem to sell for shit so I usually just loot unless they only have 1-2 D mods and I'm close to a starport. I am probably waiting too long to mess with colonies. I have one on a shitty planet with abundant rare ore and ore. Little hesitant to store all my weapons there since it sometimes gets raided, not sure if pirates can jack blue prints and stuff. But feels like I should actually leave parts of my fleet sometimes and run around with a lighter faster group when I'm not trying to fight a ISIS conquest space fleet.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Prolly shouldn't have gone with a carrier build on my first playthrough. I have 6 colonies, a 1.6+ million/month income, my carrier fleet melts everything that floats into range and I STILL have only the vaguest idea about shooting shit and how shield flux management actually works.

I took me about 12 hours to figure it all out and get to end game. Fricken awesome game and i cant wait for more updates and a fleshed out game state. Will def be coming back every update.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Love the red ships, the top left tan colored one and the lockpick shaped one next to it. Which mods? I havn't dived into that yet. I havn't played in a year and a half so vanilla has lots of new content I'm exploring. Not a ton of time to play. At the awkward trying to transition into a mainly heavy cruiser/capital fleet and almost went bankrupt a few times with the increased supply/fuel costs.

Red ships are from the Diable Avionics mod. The following faction mods are the best, they usually comes with brand new ships/fighters/weapons with unique abilities, more importanly, they are not overpower compare to vanilla ships:

Blackrock Drive Yards
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering
Diable Avionics
Interstellar Imperium
Outer Rim Alliance
Scy
Sylphon RnD
Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority
Neutrino Corp
Underworld (small upgrade to pirate ships, add another small pirate faction call Starlight Cabal)
Junk Pirates (another & less evil pirate faction)

Paired with both Nexerilin & Vayra's Sector mods then you suddenly get a brand new game!

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Red ships are from the Diable Avionics mod. The following faction mods are the best, they usually comes with brand new ships/fighters/weapons with unique abilities, more importanly, they are not overpower compare to vanilla ships:

Blackrock Drive Yards
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering
Diable Avionics
Interstellar Imperium
Outer Rim Alliance
Scy
Sylphon RnD
Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority
Neutrino Corp
Underworld (small upgrade to pirate ships, add another small pirate faction call Starlight Cabal)
Junk Pirates (another & less evil pirate faction)

Paired with both Nexerilin & Vayra's Sector mods then you suddenly get a brand new game!

'brand new'.

Nex feels very bare bones/incomplete, but I suppose that's because it's trying to shoehorn 4X mechanics into a game that itself is a work in progress where the colonization feature was just recently added. Sadly Diable got itself eliminated before I could commission for them and buy any of their ships, but hopefully I can snag a blueprint or two from the freeport. Dunno if it's just random or what but Hegemony seems wildly out of whack in Nex, they start out big and start immediately pushing the rest of the core worlds around. I started out Tri-Tach and was astonished at how early the Hegemony conquered Culann, which fucked 90% of the reason for starting with Tri-Tach in the first place.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I suck at this game and I love it. I completed the tutorial, salvaged a small fleet. Picked up two derelict scanning missions on the fringe. I loaded up with fuel and supplies and crew and 20 seconds into the voyage through hyperspace a giant scavenger fleet attacked me and broke all my toys. I managed to get a single Sheppard drone ship to escape.

Went from 400 crew to 30, barely any fuel or supplies.

I decided to just keep going. Fuck it. I get to the system and it's crawling with more scavengers. I manage to find my derelicts by going dark 70% of the time and salvaged a research station that had like 700k worth of stuff in it. With the two completed missions I got like 900k for my trouble.

I am just going to salvage my way into glory.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
banned from the Starsector discord for making a joke in the meme bilge because one of the mods is a snowflake. lovely.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did you suggest suicide there too?

I might have said 'Slobodan did nothing wrong, change my mind'. But it was their equivalent of the rickshaw and people were saying all sorts of shit. He was one of those 'Nazis are everywhere' types.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not just a 'nazis are everywhere' type, but a fucking furry who thinks calling Antifa terrorists (topical to a conversation being had in an off-topic room of the discord) is "gaslighting trying to paint antifascists as dangerous terrorists and sneering at modern fascism".

Gaslighting being one of those buzzwords that clues you in that someone is a braindead leftie cultist. Shame because there were good conversations about the actual game, I regret letting myself get drawn into a political discussion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Not just a 'nazis are everywhere' type, but a fucking furry who thinks calling Antifa terrorists (topical to a conversation being had in an off-topic room of the discord) is "gaslighting trying to paint antifascists as dangerous terrorists and sneering at modern fascism".

Gaslighting being one of those buzzwords that clues you in that someone is a braindead leftie cultist. Shame because there were good conversations about the actual game, I regret letting myself get drawn into a political discussion.
I have no idea where the creators feelings lay, as small as it is etc, a email or forum post that is sanely layed out and omitting the furry fuck needing to kill themselves *might* have some traction. Depends how long and how big the tool has been around. (or worse is a big mod maker or something) /redditforummodimage

Sludig

I have no idea where the creators feelings lay, as small as it is etc, a email or forum post that is sanely layed out and omitting the furry fuck needing to kill themselves *might* have some traction. Depends how long and how big the tool has been around. (or worse is a big mod maker or something) /redditforummodimage
Disregard. If it's the "unofficial starsector" discord. 5 seconds in the server rules showed me it is a safe space.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

I mean really it was my fault for letting myself get sucked into a political discussion in discord...again.

More on topic, I just found an XIV Conquest on prism freeport's high end seller and my inner pokemon trainer forced me to buy it. I've also restarted Diable 2-3 times now and they immediately get crushed again every time. If I legit want to bring them back I'll have to carve them out a few systems, maybe even personally defend them til they're back on their feet. I sorta wish I'd included more extra factions than just Diable, SCY, and Shadowyards in this playthrough, cause after two vanilla playthroughs and now this run with Nex, I don't see myself going back until the base game has gotten more content, which could take 2-3 years.

At the very least I wish I'd included every faction that has its own IBB fleet so that I'd have more shit to collect. That full phase ship fight was kinda ridiculous, I had to change both my battle settings and max fleet size, AND build/refit an entire pack of tempests to be able to beat it. The others have been pretty straight-forward fights. The fuckin unique cabal astral is ridiculous, 7.1m if i want to remove the 10 d mods it came with.

*edit*

Another funny thing is that I'm STILL non-hostile with redacted due to starting out with Trihard, but since I haven't spent any time farming them, I dont have many beta cores and only a couple alphas.

Last edited:

faille

Molten Core Raider
I've seen a lot of people that like this gush over this game, might be worth checking out.

cheers for the recommendation. Quite enjoying it so far, though I've barely scratched the surface

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
cheers for the recommendation. Quite enjoying it so far, though I've barely scratched the surface

I added this to my bottomless unplayed game list in Steam as well, sight unseen, purely based on reviews and the feel that it has shades of Starsector and Darkest Dungeon. Will try out this weekend.

Still haven't been able to come to grips with Starsector yet. I hate getting older, my attention span for most (edit complex) games is getting thin.