Starsector (formerly Starfarer)

Caliane

So first mission in the tutorial the station commander lets me turn my transponder off to go pick up a msg from a mining outpost. Watched that vid and knew black market avoids tax and is a decent money maker, and you need your transponder off to trade there--so decided to check it out. With the transponder off, I notice I can trade on the black market freely with no suspicion (Which I'm guessing would normally get me fucked by the patrol fleet without this tutorial allowing me to have it off). See organs on the mining station and see I can get like a 20% profit for them back on the main station...then I see the drugs. Which sell for a ridiculous profit.

Have made 100k, pretty sure I can make a bit more running back and forth abusing the 'allowed to have transponder off' with no risk (Can fly literally into the patrol fleet). Is this an exploit or is gaming the system like this generally how the game is played? I don't want to shit on the experience by abusing a tutorial mechanic.
Part of the game. Different factions have different laws on Transponder, and what goods are illegal. none enforce Transponder on in hyperspace.

there are ships designed more for smuggling. keep an eye on and understand sensor profile. Sensor profile is the circle around you, that gives away your location, and fleet composition to others. transponder increases, savaging, pulses, etc. all increase. civilian ships, bigger ships, etc all have bigger profiles. going dark reduces. holding s, to min burn reduces. A number of stealth ships have reduced profiles.

holding S, turns on the "move slowly/min burn" mode. This ALSO, allows you to fly through hyperspace storms, without being tossed around like a ragdoll.

shift toggles "high speed". this accelerates time.

Fuel consumption is purely a issue of DISTANCE traveled. speed has no effect.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I really want to try this out, but I keeping opening it up and deciding I don't have the time and mental energy to give it a proper go and it doesn't seem like the sort of game to play casually.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I really want to try this out, but I keeping opening it up and deciding I don't have the time and mental energy to give it a proper go and it doesn't seem like the sort of game to play casually.
A day free for initially fucking around. Can easily be a long time sink but by its nature totally could play in 30 minute increments

velk

Trakanon Raider

It's very easy to get into. There's an unbelievable shitload of depth there, but you don't get to it right away, you can more or less pick up a starter ship with drones and let them kill shit for you while you get used to stuff and just cruise around randomly.

Caliane

Been playing this for a day or two now, pretty fun game. Thumbs up!

My addition to the thread, some ship and gun infos.
not sure if these are up to date..
"Document details
Created on Aug 4, 2019" dont know if it gets updated when revised.. if not, these are def out of date. "Unused in 0.9.1a and 0.95a." well I see that note, so must be relatively up to date. but not necessarily the most recent.

one thing I noticed on review, it doesn't clearly mention that different faction versions of ships, are often different.
some are just paintjobs. but others have very different stats/loadouts/mounts.

for example. the Brawler.
notice here under "brawler" you can click "base", Tri-Tachyon, and Luddic path.
And they have different Ordinance points, armor, special hull features, and mounts.

The Legion is very notable for this. The regular Legion, you can buy, is.. ok. the newest patch actually buffed it. not sure how good it is now.
But the 14th Battlegroup Legion, which can only be found, and its blueprints found, is S tier and MUCH stronger.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The luddites are sort of like Pirates, they salvage ships and make changes to them as they see fit. This is why some ships have different configurations, luddite, pirate but the base is always the base, for your example its a tri tach ship.

And yeah some of that stuff is prob out of date but still relevant, especially the weapons sheet. Some weapons are just better than others, and harder to find.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Cant wait. Played so much modded will be nice to run through vanilla again

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Always hard to go back to manual save games especially when you kinda can have rather fast gameplay etc, really got to spam that shit. /sigh.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
One of these days I am going to have to dedicate myself to a full playthrough of this great game. I've installed it on every computer I've bought in the last several years but never got very far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

ha thats funny. As ultimately, like pretty much every sandbox game, it lacks an endgame or finale.

faille

Molten Core Raider
One of these days I am going to have to dedicate myself to a full playthrough of this great game. I've installed it on every computer I've bought in the last several years but never got very far.
Same. I don't think I have more than an hour in it yet.
I do with it was on steam though since it would be closer to front of mind for me, though still no guarantee of being played.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
ha thats funny. As ultimately, like pretty much every sandbox game, it lacks an endgame or finale.

I'd say vanilla has a decent 12 hour playthrough if you're goal is to have created your own secured / profitable system. It's quit the juggle to build that up to profitable. After that you can set some other goals but it does start to get stale. Mods help a lot and make it so factions take systems and get mega powerful as you're trying to do the same thing, so that gets interesting.

Caliane

So.. apparently theres some major modder drama going on in Starsector.
I don't know the full details. the mods are too infested with furries, weebs, and massively OP custom fleets/ships for my tastes..

So, a modder named, presidentmattdamon created a mod called take no prisoners, tnp, a while back.
lets you take officers prisoner, bribe/ransom them or something.

Forking of mods is common practice. Presidentmattdamon himself inherited a number of older mods no longer being maintained by the original author, and was keeping them up to date.

Someone forked TNP and added more content to it. headpats, romance, harem rape slaves, birthdays, etc.
Now, it was like this for quite a while.
there is an unoffical discord where much of the modding community hangs out I think, and presidentmattdamon is a mod there as well.

Apparently from what I understand,
someone made a starsector video review. included footage of the mod, with headpats, and possibly non-consensual headpats.

presidentmattdamon then proceeded to loose his shit.
first, banned the mod author from the discord, and modding sites. deleted the forked version. this was a week ago or so. people were pretty pissed about this abuse of power, and overreaction to someone elses content. He also removed his own version of TNP. He and the discord team, and other modders, BAN the guy who made the youtube vid.

yesterday the nuclear option dropped. presidentmattdamon, updated several of the mods he was maintaining, and added malicious code to brick the saves of any game that was running mods he doesn't like.

he is not the author of Diable Avionics, he was just keeping it updated.

so, now hes banned from reddit aggressively. Banned from USC discord. although, the talk is the mods had to be forced to do this. They didnt want to..

however, Heres the reddit mod official response, to the previous rape mod discussion, and blowout.

Grievous69's original response was "keep it civil", I'm going to lock threads that start shit flinging, personal attacks, or are just inflammatory. Asked for help.

new mods, thought going full sjw was a great idea. even so much as mentioning the the rape mod via headpats, etc is now "rulebreaking content". the entire post is directly referencing the rape mods existence as being bad, and nothing about the other modders reaction to it.

Caliane

so, yeah, the drama hasn't stopped. that new reddit mod powerchicken seems to have a history with presidentmattdamon, and was a mod at USC (unofficial starsector discord). where, he was laughing about the malicious code, banning people that brought up the other mod, and otherwise encouraging PMD and his malware.

Alex himself did respond on the official forums and banned PMD.

Last edited:

Sludig

So many fags. I never got heavy on mods because they quickly get out of control and did notice the heavy weeks and woke tards years ago in discord/ forum. shame, even the base game has kinda expanded to the point where I don't think I enjoy early as much and the full game just gets way too big/ sprawling and can spend days just trying to accomplish relatively little because of combat time x number of huge fleets x how huge even standard map is. Good luck responding to half the shit you might want to and maintain your stuff.

Like If I want to do a play, I know I need like a month at aside, not a nostalgic weekend. So I kinda like the state of the game a few years ago. wish I knew what I could do modding to almost pick newer systems but revert a good chunk to simpler times.