Starting a New Media Business - Looking for Partners

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
MMOs are pretty much a dead topic. It would have to be gaming in general with a focus on online gaming, or dare I saw, online gaming culture.

Vitality

HUSTLE
You would totally sub for that on twitch and you know it. (so would I)
I'd sub twice, I'm already trying to get this in the works my man. Just need to get Rescorla to show up for a game of Monopoly this saturday at 9pm pst.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Draegan, Teljair, I see you're looking at potentially having some tech/dev types involved here, but since that's kinda what Teljair already does here, I'm wondering what would be involved. I have little to no interest in creating content. It's not my thing, and with a lack of interest comes a lack of creativity. I'm good with the tech side of things, though, so I'd like to hear more.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kickstart it as a new totally politically incorrect gaming site network. Promote it on RedChanIt using us as sockpuppets, labeling it as a protest vote and bulwark against the coming gaming Sarkpocalypse.

Make a good Kickstarter pitch and the money should come with the right promotion.
This is totally how I would do it. You can easily spread the word out among possibly interested communities.

You don't need some retarded established figurehead.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Draegan, Teljair, I see you're looking at potentially having some tech/dev types involved here, but since that's kinda what Teljair already does here, I'm wondering what would be involved. I have little to no interest in creating content. It's not my thing, and with a lack of interest comes a lack of creativity. I'm good with the tech side of things, though, so I'd like to hear more.
Email me and Teljair with what you're good at and you guys can talk. I'm always giving him idea for tools and other things that require a lot of tech and development and he only has so much time as one person. But we would definitely consider bringing in people on the tech side of things.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
What can a Molecular Biologist do for you? I can try and genetically engineer a centaur or somecrap like that for you guys.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's a gap in decent boss guides for WoW raiding. Fatboss has turned from decent guides to 20 minute long shit-fests where they try to be like that stupid british caster that no one gives a fuck about anymore - inserting witty banter and bullshit ideas no one gives a shit about. There's these guys doing 2 minute guides, and they're ok, but there is some work that could be there.

Someone needs to make something like tankspot used to be.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This thread has some great ideas. The tried & true shit just doesnt work anymore. MMOs are dead. "info" sites require too much tech setup and are already done by others for every game already.

The "mature gaming" site is sorta being done already:Esports Express | The train that never stops

I do believe there is room to grow that area and there is certainly plenty of drama to report on.

The problem is getting the people who have enough time to do the research & write. Good luck!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, I don't know about MMOs being dead. Wannabe Youtube celebrities have taken the idea of providing decent guides and reviews and have sprinkled in all this other bullshit, trying to be the next big thing. It wouldn't be too hard to imagine the success of a site that doesn't allow that and just sticks to the material that people want to hear -- and knows how to separate fact from opinion.

Nothing ruins a good guide more than someone's irrelevant opinion. You know, in my opinion. Which I hope is shared, and therefore isn't irrelevant.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh, I don't know about MMOs being dead. Wannabe Youtube celebrities have taken the idea of providing decent guides and reviews and have sprinkled in all this other bullshit, trying to be the next big thing. It wouldn't be too hard to imagine the success of a site that doesn't allow that and just sticks to the material that people want to hear -- and knows how to separate fact from opinion.

Nothing ruins a good guide more than someone's irrelevant opinion. You know, in my opinion. Which I hope is shared, and therefore isn't irrelevant.
Yeah you're basically saying what I said a bit more eloquently and with less profanity.

Wowhead is alright, but their guides come out slow and aren't always fully accurate.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We just need to come up with the Serial of gaming podcasts. Shouldn't be too hard.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Name the site No clickers allowed. If you ever do a stream or review with someone clicking you should burn in hell.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I just want to throw out some questions that you don't need to answer in public. I haven't kept up with gaming with work and a baby on the way, so I want to try and help on the business side(I work for a large franchise company):

1. Have you owned your own business before?
2. Do you have your business plan down in writing?
3. Do you have a rudimentary understanding of the financial side of the business? (Can you look at a P&L and balance sheet with your accountant and understand where your business is at and where it's going? )
4. Have you calculated out your expenses and what your break even is each month? A basic formula is (BE = OE + (sales ? COG)) break even = operating expenses plus your sales times cost of goods (don't know what goods you will have... different industry).
5. Do you have enough working capital until you break even and start making a profit? How many months until you break even?
6. Are all partners on the same page as owners? Businesses can be harmed by miscommunication or unstable relationships; a partner going through something like a divorce on the side can be a problem.
7. How are your management skills? If you can't manage people well, then you'll be doing most of the work (we have franchisees that work 80 hours a week and take home 50k a year, and others that work 30 hours a week and rake in 200k+ a year, and it isn't luck.)
8. "If you can't measure it, you can't manage it." AKA the exact opposite of Smed. Set goals and record metrics with your employees. Most employees don't like their performance recorded at first, but if you can sit down in 6 months and show them how they've improved (articles getting more page hits, more viewers in stream) or that things are demonstrably better when they do things the way you want, it tends to work out.
9. "Sales feeds egos, profit feeds families." Would you rather sell 500k and make 50k profit, or sell 300k and make 60k profit? Less work for more money, right? Many new business owners are losing money and they start to get scared. They lose sight of their vision and make deals to close a sale when it isn't in their best interest or even worth their time.
10. If you are starting to think about whether or not you should let an employee go, then you probably should have let them go already.

Just FYI I'm learning the business consultant side so I'm no know-it-all. This is mostly stuff I learned from spending time with our successful franchisees. I've never owned my own business.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You should listen to all the episodes of the podcast StartUp. It's a podcast about starting a podcasting company, which isn't too far off from what you're doing.

Even though a lot of the things won't apply directly to you, it does give you some idea of the process.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I'm ready to ask the hard hitting questions like, "Can you please explain why your game sucks so much American Inventor dick?", and "Could you please explain your design decision to incorporate so much brown?" Put me in coach!