Starting a New Media Business - Looking for Partners

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm ready to ask the hard hitting questions like, "Can you please explain why your game sucks so much American Inventor dick?", and "Could you please explain your design decision to incorporate so much brown?" Put me in coach!
I would read answers to these.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
There are tens of thousands of gaming websites, just like there are thousands of games. What makes the successful ones is completely missing from this thread:

Marketing.

Also, partnerships in small business are bad. You need one Chief and the rest invested but understanding of their roles.

I've written for several years for MMO and gaming sites in the early 2000s a freelancer. I'd be happy to contribute in a predefined role. I love the idea of a mature audience site. I think having a target niche and getthing clicks should be the main focus of your initial plan.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
A partnership does not discount the idea of a chief, as far as roles go.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What type of 'integrity' are you looking for in your content? If we're talking the 'standard' journalistic principles of having no cited sources but plenty of baseless assertions and emotionally charged rhetoric I'll write some amazing stuff to help you guys out.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
If the John Stewart of online gaming news wants to join with us so we can do that, please step forward.
Late response but got a kick out of this - a gaming site with a satirical bent that's willing to make fun of anything and everything would definitely have appeal.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If I was still in college and didn't have 2 kids and a job I would definitely try to do that (and fail because I'm no where near as clever).

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Understood- I'm in the same boat, though closer to empty nest than not.

Of course, with enough contributors to content it can work. Cartoonists like Bill Watterson amaze me with the quality of work they do over a long stretch.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
You mean a site like this one?
No, an actual amusing site, not a dozen angry neckbeards in a tuconets circle jerk.

Media markets are saturated. It doesn't help to have an ass name like Junkies. The only way in is to get some good adverts or have some Jewish relatives who can promote you on the media bigwig sites. I still don't see the hook even then. Mist had some good thoughts, but really without something somewhat unique this becomes akin to a pyramid website scheme.

Switch gears and do an alternative to Pantheon, but add all the ideas this site has thrown down which people actually want: i.e., dynamic content, mob camps moving, bosses changing, and open world PVP objectives. Throw up a Kickstarter and send a video to Chris Roberts to link and watch the coin roll in. Then just sell armor designs for stretch goals. Win. Heck, it worked for Age of War.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'd stick to the first of those three. As for saturation? I don't see it. Not for this particular coverage. I wish I had a default MMO source.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I'd stick to the first of those three. As for saturation? I don't see it. Not for this particular coverage. I wish I had a default MMO source.
I think there's room for niche media sites, but again you need hooks, content, marketing, and more content.

The problem is the MMO media market is dead. Mainly due to MMOs being mostly dead. Ten years ago they had huge buzz and potential, now you can't find investors if you have Everquest lead designer on your resume. Massively just cratered. The kickstarter for the new site made a bit of coin, but nothing huge and word has it most of it was from nepotism

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Are you really shocked that Brad couldn't get investers?

MMOs not named wow may be trending down but online gaming is very very high.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Nobody who knows Brad's history is surprised. That said you can't get money for games or media much anymore, as it's insular. Online gaming is mainstream. It's reporting is mainstream. The money and audiences are tough to get.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
So discussion of the viability of wow clones and debate over McQuaid has finally bled over into this completely unrelated thread too? That took longer than I anticipated.