State Of Decay 2 - May 22nd Release

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I never played the first one and I am typically not a fan of the survival base building genre, but since I got game pass decided to try it out.

I'm about 3 hours in. Is there a main story to follow once you've got a leader or is it pretty much respond to radio/clear infestations and gain influence to open up more buildings to gather resources?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Are you able to send people out on their own to gather resources like in the first game? Feels like whenever I go out and get something, I end up down 3 other things and it's annoying as hell

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Are you able to send people out on their own to gather resources like in the first game? Feels like whenever I go out and get something, I end up down 3 other things and it's annoying as hell

No, but they will occasionally "gather" items for you. Searching for and bringing back resources it pretty much the core gameplay loop, it would be strange if they automated that.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Huge fan of the first couple of games they released. Huge non fan of the reviews this one has gotten. Have they patched the crap out of it yet?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This was today's large patch I guess.

Patch 1.2 Highlighted Changes
The 1.2 patch features significant improvements related to:
  • Increased stability
  • Improved networking interactions for clients
  • Improved networked vehicle interactions
  • Elimination of Out Of Memory crashes

Patch 1.2 Highlights
Gameplay
  • Grenades no longer get stuck and explode in front of client character’s face or behind their head while throwing
  • Fixed instances of clients dealing damage to their host’s non-active community members with explosives
  • Flashlight beams no longer cast shadows from the player’s character model (which had caused flickering shadows)
  • Characters no longer “self-shadow” when using a flashlight in multiplayer
  • Fixed issue with doors appearing the opposite of the state they are in
  • Resolved situation where, when getting into vehicles, the camera could become detached from the player’s character
  • Fixed issue where, when clients swap weapons while in vehicles, the weapons do not swap upon exit from vehicle
  • Fixed rare bug that could prevent Warlord legacy arc from being completed
  • Fixed rare bug that could block Sheriff legacy arc from starting
  • Fixed issue where player’s loot sometimes becomes invisible until their entire backpack is deposited into a Supply Locker

Networking and Multiplayer
  • Numerous networking bandwidth and CPU improvements
  • Game now exits to main menu faster when a client loses their internet connection, so players will no longer hang after dismissing the pop-up
  • Improved network vehicle interactions in multiplayer games to address weird “rubber-banding” and physics issues (including cars flying into the air).
  • Host facilities no longer appear invisible to clients during multiplayer

Zombie and Character Behavior
  • Zombies no longer become immune to the Assault Kick
  • Reduction of step height to prevent survivors popping up onto props while moving

HUD
  • Fixed issue with player HUD disappearing after NPCs are executed by zombies
  • Community advice list no longer shows up under vignette on the map

Environment and Collision
  • Fixed numerous collision spots across all 3 maps where players or vehicles were getting stuck
  • Fixed numerous collision spots across all 3 maps where players were getting stuck in an infinite freefall animation loop
  • Elimination of white line that appears when driving at night time
  • Addressed a variety of spots in world where player was not able to climb over props they should’ve been able to
  • Additional polish and reduction of LOD popping
  • Additional lighting tuning passes, reduction in glowing props

Other Fixes
  • Addressed a variety of general crash bugs
  • Updated a number of strings that were previously hardcoded in English
  • Audio mix optimizations

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
From the patch notes, the 1.2 did pretty much nothing for me, but who knows what else it fixed.

I finished my playthrough of one map, brought two survivors to a new community, spent 10 minutes rerolling a decent survivor, then quit 2 minutes into the playthrough and probably won't look back.

The game is just way too similar to SoD1 with too many of the same problems and not nearly enough improvements. I played like 100+ hours of SoD1 and <10 of SoD2. I'll check it out again in a year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
On xbox
I have three friends. Can I invite them and we all share inventory and base management? If they join my game and two nights later so the same is it just their character and inventory or is it all a shared game?

Bacislky how do I play this with friends where it’s all a shared game?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On xbox
I have three friends. Can I invite them and we all share inventory and base management? If they join my game and two nights later so the same is it just their character and inventory or is it all a shared game?

Bacislky how do I play this with friends where it’s all a shared game?
I'm on Xbox as well, and just installed this and started playing it for the first time on Gamepass. The shared games are a little weird, where things you loot are your own, but some things are for the other person? I first played a bunch with my son in his world, and when I went to my own I was surprised at all the different things you can do that weren't available when you are in someone else's game.

I've just cleared all the plaguehearts on the first map, and not sure what else there is to do. Lol

Vorph

I've just cleared all the plaguehearts on the first map, and not sure what else there is to do. Lol
Finish your leader's questline, which unlocks a boon for that difficulty. Choose three survivors to carry over to a new map and load them up with all your best guns, facility mods, some mats, and a rucksack. Start a new map on a higher difficulty, rinse and repeat until you unlock all the boons (or at least Builder/Trader as the others are pretty irrelevant) on Lethal difficulty or you're bored. Unfortunately the new maps they make tend to be way better than the old ones so it's hard to go back to a meh map like Meagher Valley or Drucker County once you've been playing in Trumbull Valley.

You should also play through Heartland at least once (preferably BEFORE you play a regular game in Trumbull Valley).

Crone

Finish your leader's questline, which unlocks a boon for that difficulty. Choose three survivors to carry over to a new map and load them up with all your best guns, facility mods, some mats, and a rucksack. Start a new map on a higher difficulty, rinse and repeat until you unlock all the boons (or at least Builder/Trader as the others are pretty irrelevant) on Lethal difficulty or you're bored. Unfortunately the new maps they make tend to be way better than the old ones so it's hard to go back to a meh map like Meagher Valley or Drucker County once you've been playing in Trumbull Valley.

You should also play through Heartland at least once (preferably BEFORE you play a regular game in Trumbull Valley).
Ohhh so that's how it works. I'm terrible and keep forgetting to enlist a follower, and so I'm down to like 2 dudes in my base. Lol

Juggernauts are a bitch!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You should also play through Heartland at least once
fuckin

I was near the end of a Heartland playthrough when I lost my follower to juggernaut animation/stun lock. I was so angry I rage-uninstalled. I enjoyed the higher threat of Heartland up until that point.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I dunno what it is about this game but it just fails to grab me. On the surface, it SHOULD be better than SoD1, but it's just...I dunno, more of a fucking chore. It's not really fun. Juggernauts are not worth the time, plague hearts are annoying, blood plague is just a resource grind to avoid. Combat isn't super great

I dunno what's not clicking. I really enjoyed SoD, but I'm having a hard time playing this for longer than 15 minutes at a stretch.

Vorph

fuckin

I was near the end of a Heartland playthrough when I lost my follower to juggernaut animation/stun lock. I was so angry I rage-uninstalled. I enjoyed the higher threat of Heartland up until that point.
Yeah, Heartland is weird. The map is locked to normal difficulty (which is a complete joke after you start playing on lethal), but then you get to the plague wall gauntlet and suddenly it's like LETHAL+++++. And yeah, taking a follower to a plague wall is pretty much RIP. I lost IzzBee that way on my first playthrough of Heartland and just started the whole thing over (I had also ignored Vicente's mission because it was in the ass end of the map, only to find out that shit times out super fast and once he leaves you can never recruit him or Isaac in that playthrough, so that was already grating on me.)

plague hearts are annoying
They're pretty easy really, just have to figure out what works and what doesn't. On anything below lethal just dump bullets into it; even on nightmare it only takes 40 .22 or 9mm which is easily done without having to reload if you have some of the better guns. On lethal, one road flare followed by 3 bloater grenades kills it and that takes like 5 seconds total. Road flares are an extremely limited resource though, so I normally just drop a C4 next to it, dump a mag of .357 (most efficient ammo type) from my MPX, blow up the C4 and reload, then it takes like half a mag more to finish it off. Total time maybe 10 seconds including the time to run up and plant the C4.

Of course the thing that actually trivializes the whole process is ScentBlock. With it active you can even just melee them down and spend almost no resources at all if you really want to.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, Heartland is weird. The map is locked to normal difficulty (which is a complete joke after you start playing on lethal), but then you get to the plague wall gauntlet and suddenly it's like LETHAL+++++. And yeah, taking a follower to a plague wall is pretty much RIP. I lost IzzBee that way on my first playthrough of Heartland and just started the whole thing over (I had also ignored Vicente's mission because it was in the ass end of the map, only to find out that shit times out super fast and once he leaves you can never recruit him or Isaac in that playthrough, so that was already grating on me.)

They're pretty easy really, just have to figure out what works and what doesn't. On anything below lethal just dump bullets into it; even on nightmare it only takes 40 .22 or 9mm which is easily done without having to reload if you have some of the better guns. On lethal, one road flare followed by 3 bloater grenades kills it and that takes like 5 seconds total. Road flares are an extremely limited resource though, so I normally just drop a C4 next to it, dump a mag of .357 (most efficient ammo type) from my MPX, blow up the C4 and reload, then it takes like half a mag more to finish it off. Total time maybe 10 seconds including the time to run up and plant the C4.

Of course the thing that actually trivializes the whole process is ScentBlock. With it active you can even just melee them down and spend almost no resources at all if you really want to.
nothing beats the firework gun for plague heart destruction.

Vorph

I see people say that a lot, but I've never found pyro launcher to be worth the bother. On lethal it's something like 180 shots to destroy the heart using it and I could be halfway to the next heart in the amount of time that takes. Pyro launcher is great for killing all the z's (and especially the blood ferals) that come to defend the heart, but you shouldn't care about those anyway because you have ScentBlock.

Kill it in like 5-10 seconds using flares + bloater grenades or C4+ammo, jump out a window and drive to the next heart. Come back to loot the one you just killed later (next patch even marks unlooted hearts on your map with their contents, so you won't forget where they were and don't even need to bother if there's nothing interesting).

Crone

I see people say that a lot, but I've never found pyro launcher to be worth the bother. On lethal it's something like 180 shots to destroy the heart using it and I could be halfway to the next heart in the amount of time that takes. Pyro launcher is great for killing all the z's (and especially the blood ferals) that come to defend the heart, but you shouldn't care about those anyway because you have ScentBlock.

Kill it in like 5-10 seconds using flares + bloater grenades or C4+ammo, jump out a window and drive to the next heart. Come back to loot the one you just killed later (next patch even marks unlooted hearts on your map with their contents, so you won't forget where they were and don't even need to bother if there's nothing interesting).
Next patch? Still, patching this game? that's kinda cool.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The prolonged support is even weirder when you consider that the game is much more of a 1.5 than a 2.

Vorph

Next patch? Still, patching this game? that's kinda cool.
Yeah, Undead Labs support for SoD2 is among the best in the industry. Trumbull Valley was just added as a map for the main game last month, plague hearts creating influence zones was a major change to core gameplay back in the spring, they add new weapons all the time, etc.

I just hope that SoD3 doesn't take as long as SoD2 did to reach a 'not just playable but actually really good' state.