State Of Decay 2 - May 22nd Release

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This is just false, SoD2 is built in Unreal 4 and the first was Cryengine 3.1, even if they wanted to they couldn't reuse assets.

So I did some digging and that part doesn't seem to be true. This is for the map which was already created in 2015 (Supposedly) but importing assets isn't hard to do either. Makes for a good discussion.

Hi,

it is possible. What you will need to do is export your entire scene from cryengine as a single fbx. You will then need to open the fbx in 3d studio max and reapply light maps (if for static lighting/baked lighting). After that you export the objects out of 3ds max and using ts-tools (www.tomshannon3d.com) you first save as max file, export the objects out and export to clipboard the whole scene out and paste into Ue 4.6. Then you can open in Ue 4.10 and viola. I know that there are problems when you have too many actors, however a simple hack of the maxscript can output the export to a t3d (renamed text file) rather than clipboard which has a limited amount of characters it can contain and voila.. import the t3d file into ue4.6. Textures will import from the FBX files however will need reworking / unless somebody writes a script that automates that.. Good luck!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I guess we'll find out, but after moonrise anyone who buys an early access or preorders SoD2 is foolish and his money will soon part.
Utnayan Utnayan just liked this post from 2017 I don't remember making, and now I feel like a retard for preordering SoD2 last week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That was by design :) Honestly though, if you are running Windows 10 or playing on XBox, you should just sign up for Gamepass. With that said though the game is only 30 bucks... That could be a bad thing too. They charged 59 for Sea of Thieves... I'd imagine this will have a lot more content.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
This looks like the game that SoD 1 wanted to be. Co-op still seems off due to Microsoft related shit but gameplay seems solid. A few bugs and what not but not terrible like the first game.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
So I did some digging and that part doesn't seem to be true. This is for the map which was already created in 2015 (Supposedly) but importing assets isn't hard to do either. Makes for a good discussion.

Well, yea, I mean, in theory any asset that can be moved through Max is technically compatible with any other engine that is also compatible with Max, so I probably spoke too broadly and decisively.

That being said the simpler something is the better doing this works, but then you really aren't saving a whole lot of time. The stuff you would really, really want to use again because it would save you a ton of money would involve animations and animation systems, which would almost certainly break horribly if you tried to do this. At that point you don't save anything and risk your sanity so you might as well just make it new.

They might have reused raw mocap data, which would actually be a place to start reusing stuff, but that is pretty early in the process and while it will save you some I am not sure I would call that heavy asset reuse.

Having worked with all 3 of the major engines (including remaking prototypes to test differences), I find it pretty unlikely that UL would reuse 5 year old assets from a game with a completely different engine for anything other than prototyping.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Watching Lirik, shorty, waffle, and JP stream this.

It's...rough. The tethering shit is horrible.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
If this is good, I'm going to pirate the shit out of it specifically to spite the asshole devs who fucked all of us who bought the original Dead State.

Fuck these guys right in the ass.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So this game is getting its ass handed to it in the press via reviews. Unless you have gamepass it may not be even worth 30.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, even if you don't put much stock in reviews the fact that they're all saying pretty much the same thing is hard to ignore --- 'decent game, if they'd taken another six months to actually finish it.' Plus the score is actually lower with all the retarded/untrustworthy/SJW sites filtered out in OpenCritic.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looks like people are saying it's a buggy mess. Sucks! I wanted to play it next week, not wait for a few months.

I'll probably still play it next week and just endure the bugs. Then play it again in a year or so.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Why not subscribe to game pass for free for 14 days, see if you like it, and if so, purchase?

• 1Barf

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Seems like the co-op is the bad part of this games from the streams i have seen. Hopefully they can come out with a patch to fix this real soon.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Seems like the co-op is the bad part of this games from the streams i have seen. Hopefully they can come out with a patch to fix this real soon.

Doubt it. People are already in comment sections defending the game and reminding everyone that technically this is an Indie studio. :p

Microsoft just needs to follow through on what Phil Spencer said, and that is a pure concentration on strong exclusives. They have just completely lost their minds if they think anything they have released as an exclusive (Not talking timed exclusives) are any good at all. Hopefully they started that process when he said it because it will take 3-4 years to realize that.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Game looks fun. Reviewers and streamers are being overly critical, half the people bashing it are retarded and getting mad because it doesn't play how they want it to play, instead of playing it the way it should be. There are definitely bugs, but none are game breaking for a solo experience. It is a $30 game

• 1Worf

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Hahahahaha. I'm glad this game is getting skewered. Fuck these guys. Serves them right for fucking over so many people with the first game.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Been watching Cohh (I know, I know) play this, and it's basically the same game as the first.

I mean, fuck. If I wanted to play the first, I'd just play the first.

• 1Like