State of the Union

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Merlin is wilfully ignorant. He chooses to be the way he is. Astrocreep has amply demonstrated over the years that he's just straight dumb, and has no choice in the matter.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Come on, Merlin is not willfully ignorant. He learns with every engagement.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is it too much to ask for a little civility, jesus fuck. what you said is false, it doesn't say scheduled date, it has specific absolute dates listed all over the text of the bill I just double checked, also the word "scheduled" only appears twice in the whole bill btw and not for what you mentioned and "scheduled date" is in there 0 times.

Text of H.R. 3590 (111th): Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Passed Congress/Enrolled Bill version) - GovTrack.us

Authority for Mandate Delay Act (H.R. 2667; 113th Congress) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nice zinger - note I said almost always - they're still allowed to adjust dates even without the word "scheduled" being attached to them - but yes it does rather indicate their opinion of the finality of the dating - but their opinion doesn't matter. Logistics of how things actually get implemented on a "bending not breaking" level is the director's job description.

As already stated:
a) If this was a point for outrage, I can literally point out over a half dozen pieces of legislation every year for the past forty years that had one or more dates involved with them adjusted by their directors that were met with zero outrage. (Note: I'm pretty sure it's closer to 20+ a year on average - most of the years I actually know off my head had that many "slipped/adjusted dates" but padded it to cover the length of the window)

[Hell, last time I've even heard it mentioned was with the DHS being set up tons of things ran behind schedule - over a decade ago - and I know of at least fifty cases personally since (with an FDA bias)]

b) The Federal departments would cease to function efficiently if they did not have such fine controls. Either they would need massively inflated budgets to have contingencies for everything with zero flexibility (see the military budget, which doesn't have much of the same flexibility anymore since the President as their effective Director in many regards is curbed on...) or they would repeatedly have massive failures over the most trivial issues.

PS - If you want civility, learn to listen and respond to fact rather than trying to nitpick stupid corner case bullshit that isn't even accurate. Case in point "Most of the time they use the word scheduled" - HEY THEY DIDN'T USE IT! When I didn't say anything about the word "scheduled" is the allowing factor, just that they do it on purpose because they're aware dates slip. (And again, it probably does indicate how likely they feel it is to slip - and they might prefer "scheduled dates" to be the only ones that slip - but there is no restriction on a Director adjusting a date for a "scheduled date" versus a normally listed date - it's formality not law that the term is used)

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Come on, Merlin is not willfully ignorant. He learns with every engagement.
He never learned how to count Navy Seals.

fanaskin_sl said:
...the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
And it's paved even faster with bad intentions. And it's bulldozed and replaced by light-speed rail with incompetent, partisan meat heads who think only in terms of their "team".

moontayle_sl said:
Wow. Over/Under on his resignation?
He won't resign. Politicians have said the same or worse to reporters and nothing came of it. Very long odds anything at all will happen from it.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
a) If this was a point for outrage, I can literally point out over a half dozen pieces of legislation every year for the past forty years that had one or more dates involved with them adjusted by their directors that were met with zero outrage.
who says there is 0 concern, there's always been strict constitutionalists argueing these points for hundreds of years, since the country was founded, to act like nobody cares is complete rubbish. People like lysander spooner would like to have a word with you.

and yeah i've said it's a "grey area' more than once, but when you are reworking 1/5th of the entire economy you get held to high scrutiny, hiding in the grey area's doesn't win you any favors.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Most tards are still busy raging about Obama's executive orders (least of any president since they started counting them through his first 4 years) because of that bullshit chain email that went around claiming he had issued 900 of them and nobody else had ever used more than 5. Go ahead, try to link them snopes.com. Facts are just liberal lies.

That or each one counts 10x when it's an uppity negro doing the ordering. Which is the only way I can explain the hate and venom directed at him. There is no goddamn way he is that much worse than any other President in our lifetime. Sure, it's partly because we needed God Himself after the shitpile Bush administration, so that ups the focus on Obama a bit, but this shit is just absurd. I am seeing people who never even discussed politics in their lives get literally (yes literally for reals) red faced with rage at any mention of Obama.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
There's literally no room in your head to believe that somebody can dislike both parties.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
who says there is 0 concern, there's always been strict constitutionalists argueing these points for hundreds of years, since the country was founded, to act like nobody cares is complete rubbish. People like lysander spooner would like to have a word with you.

and yeah i've said it's a "grey area' more than once, but when you are reworking 1/5th of the entire economy you get held to high scrutiny, hiding in the grey area's doesn't win you any favors.
It's not a grey area - that's a modern invention - the foundations of the modern Federal agency system was done with strict Constitutionalists setting it up - and to do so and be Constitutionally sound they set it up like a corporation or other large business operates.

This isn't executive overreach like you've MANUFACTURED it's not even part of the executive at all - he made a suggestion that the Director could've deemed appropriate or not as he saw fit. They saw fit - but RECOMMENDATIONS are perfectly legal for anyone to make in any position - President has Freedom of Speech as much as the rest of us.

But just like most people claiming to be "strict Constitutionalists" these days, you're completely oblivious to many things like Constitutionally our P/VP should almost always be opposite parties under the Constitution. And ignoring things like Federal agencies don't fall under any wing of the government from a "checks and balances" standpoint because they're considered civilian in nature (outside of the military) not government and are held to the same standards as other non-government agencies when they don't think they can comply with a law yet or it doesn't make sense to. (i.e. the business asks for a waiver - just the agencies represent millions otherwise besides the scope the same thing happens for many CEO's, CFO's, and business owners)

Hell, 90% of people claiming to be "strict Constitutionalists" can't even understand what they're reading as you demonstrated earlier with your "Don't see anything here that says that" nonsense while it's stating that the Director makes the final decisions in 4 places on that page alone. (Additionally note how wishy-washy they are about things - they convince themselves both sides are wrong - look at yourself with a year or so back when the meme was that the mandate was unconstitutional you went with that, now that the conservative meme is that he's not allowed to do it [when he didn't even do it at that... just suggested - Freedom of Speech] is that it's legal and should be put in place on schedule that's now your take... hypocrisy thy name is Garglechimp)

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Go take a science class you ignorant fuck.
Can he take the same one 0 needs? I don't see how that observation is any worse than 0 mocking perry for denying global warming while his state was spontaneously combusting around him.

Got the loudest clap/shout, for sure.
Really? I thought the biggest/longest/loudest applause came when he introduced that soldier who was blown up by an IED.

That's a question. I didn't watch, just repeating what I heard on the radio this morning.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
TJ is the missing link between humans and monkeys.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can he take the same one 0 needs? I don't see how that observation is any worse than 0 mocking perry for denying global warming while his state was spontaneously combusting around him.

Really? I thought the biggest/longest/loudest applause came when he introduced that soldier who was blown up by an IED.

That's a question. I didn't watch, just repeating what I heard on the radio this morning.
Who is 0?