Stay at home dad advice

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If your life is 100% your children, part of you disappears.

This is also how helicopter parenting goes off the rails. You need to model being a well adjusted adult with independence so that your kids can become one.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't see why this is so hard to figure out. Took me 7 seconds to come up with an idea

1685227705427.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks, she’s actually 13 and half months now and not just walking but sometimes breaking into a sprint and then taking a tumble ; lots of head bumps to the point I’m worried she’s gonna mess something up in there. Her mom almost went pro in tennis so I have high hopes for her in sports, already been having her watch while i shoot bball but there’s a good chance watching me is just going to make her worse, though she seems to enjoy it . Maybe I’ll try taking her to tennis just to see people play and see how that goes.

the gaming just isn’t possible, I actually got a steam deck but I mostly end up using it when I’m at gym on a bike or something. There’s just no way to do any productive gaming while trying to watch her, she’s just wayyyyy too quick
Like the other guys are saying, this phase passes. My older kids are in college now and I'm the one trying to get their attention to talk to them about stuff. When they are little and just rolling a ball back and forth with dad is fun, thats the most amazing time. They will be asking to take your car and asking for money and bringing home questionable friends/dates before you know it.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So she’s 14 months now, and for the past few weeks or over a month really she’s been on this ‘throwing food’ tear and it’s driving me insane. Kitchen looks like a slaughterhouse and what’s worse is she is eating less and less. Was always super picky but it’s getting harder and harder to get her to swallow anything. My wife and I are constantly wondering where her poop is coming from, or her ridiculously high energy levels, as she barely eats anything now. I guess that milk does pack a lot of calories.
Anyone have a picky eater and find a trick that works on them? Or atleast, get them to stop throwing food?? She’s understanding some stuff but still too young I think so I’m not able to get her to stop. I’m half tempted to just skip a meal next time she throws anything and hoping she will eat properly if she gets hungry enough, but then I always end up getting anxious and give her fruit or some other snacks which she tends to gobble

Vinen

God is dead
I’ve recently semi retired and was wondering if any other dads out there with a baby (mines almost 10 months old) have tips on how you can be a misanthropic gamer while not neglecting your kid

Man. My Daughter watched me binge Octopath Traveler 2. She just sad there and watched. Long as she was fed it was fine. It will change as they get older. Just hand them the controller as soon as they can hold it. Avoid them becoming a loser who can't even hold a Nintendo controller without being confused like my son. He is like WHY NO SCREEN ON CONTROLLER.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So she’s 14 months now, and for the past few weeks or over a month really she’s been on this ‘throwing food’ tear and it’s driving me insane. Kitchen looks like a slaughterhouse and what’s worse is she is eating less and less. Was always super picky but it’s getting harder and harder to get her to swallow anything. My wife and I are constantly wondering where her poop is coming from, or her ridiculously high energy levels, as she barely eats anything now. I guess that milk does pack a lot of calories.
Anyone have a picky eater and find a trick that works on them? Or atleast, get them to stop throwing food?? She’s understanding some stuff but still too young I think so I’m not able to get her to stop. I’m half tempted to just skip a meal next time she throws anything and hoping she will eat properly if she gets hungry enough, but then I always end up getting anxious and give her fruit or some other snacks which she tends to gobble

I had a similar issue with one of mine. Eliminated ALL snacks between meals. He ended up eating everything at meal time because he was genuinely hungry. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying starve your kid, but they need to treat food with resect, and throwing it is not that. When you put it in front of them, they need to eat it. Never to early to learn that lesson.

• 2Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I had a similar issue with one of mine. Eliminated ALL snacks between meals. He ended up eating everything at meal time because he was genuinely hungry. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying starve your kid, but they need to treat food with resect, and throwing it is not that. When you put it in front of them, they need to eat it. Never to early to learn that lesson.

This. (Healthily) hungry kids magically become less picky. We recently had my daughter's friend over who apparently only eats white food (at age 8, wtf). Well, we were serving steak and veggies. After about a half hour of staring at dinner, we achieved conversion. Her parents were amazed when they picked her up.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Throw her in the camel clutch. She will be eating in no time.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This. (Healthily) hungry kids magically become less picky. We recently had my daughter's friend over who apparently only eats white food (at age 8, wtf). Well, we were serving steak and veggies. After about a half hour of staring at dinner, we achieved conversion. Her parents were amazed when they picked her up.

Only eats white food? WTF???! That was something that Eric Satie (French composer) did in the early 20th century as part of the Dadaist movement. Cheese, pasta, white wine, blah blah. It was a total mental bullshit thing, but there you go. This daughter of your friend is apparently quite refined.
lol

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Only eats white food? WTF???! That was something that Eric Satie (French composer) did in the early 20th century as part of the Dadaist movement. Cheese, pasta, white wine, blah blah. It was a total mental bullshit thing, but there you go. This daughter of your friend is apparently quite refined.
lol
If she ends up writing something half as amazing as Gymnopsedies then I am all for it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If she ends up writing something half as amazing as Gymnopsedies then I am all for it.

I play those on the piano just about weekly. Favourite of my family. Yeah, imagine your kid accomplishing that!

Did you know that the Gymnopedie were one of the first successful pieces that had sustained, repeated unresolved dissonance that people accepted? Major 7ths for measures at a time.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Ours is almost three and it boggles my mind that most people just graze their children all day and then wonder why they get all weird at meal time - we do three meals a day plus a miniscule snack after nap. She understood very quickly that if you don't eat you ain't getting shit later and eats just about anything we put in front of her.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like