Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Uplay sucks but its not as bad as it once was. At this point its no different from Steam, or EA's Origin. You can unlock some stupid bullshit in each game with points you earn in previous games, and it has a storefront, and it integrates all your Ubisoft game installers. It also gets reasonably decent DL speeds now.

Its stupid and unnecessary, but its not as awful as it was when it first launched.
It's a matter of principle at this point. I'm not buying a game on Steam only to have it run through Uplay. Small as it is, not buying their games is my protest at their asinine anti-consumer behaviour.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Playing Steam games through Nvidia gamestream has almost always worked flawlessly even when a game or steam needed updated. Not so much with uplay, which always seems to need to update/check something, and every time it does it breaks shit and I have to remote-access my PC to close windows and restart the game, which then still only seems to work some of the time. But hey, the ad windows it pops up all the time when leaving a game is great!? And AC:Black Flag was really fun replaying the first 30% when the uplay cloudsave function overwrote/corrupted all my saves.

This was all within the last year or two, so unless you mean they've fixed it last month I'm calling bullshit. Uplay is shit and should be avoided if possible. The only games I've ever tried to play through uplay where ones I got free with hardware purchases, and they still weren't worth the zero-dollar price I paid.

Steam can be annoying and I understand the people who have reasons to loathe it, but at least Steam works.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Playing Steam games through Nvidia gamestream has almost always worked flawlessly even when a game or steam needed updated. Not so much with uplay, which always seems to need to update/check something, and every time it does it breaks shit and I have to remote-access my PC to close windows and restart the game, which then still only seems to work some of the time. But hey, the ad windows it pops up all the time when leaving a game is great!? And AC:Black Flag was really fun replaying the first 30% when the uplay cloudsave function overwrote/corrupted all my saves.

This was all within the last year or two, so unless you mean they've fixed it last month I'm calling bullshit. Uplay is shit and should be avoided if possible. The only games I've ever tried to play through uplay where ones I got free with hardware purchases, and they still weren't worth the zero-dollar price I paid.

Steam can be annoying and I understand the people who have reasons to loathe it, but at least Steam works.
You left out the massive security flaw they had in Uplay that functioned as a rootkit. Who knows what other vulnerabilities are coded in by those incompetents.

Ubisoft Denies Including a Rootkit in Uplay Service, Blames Security Exploit on a 'Coding Error'

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I just view it as another form of Games for Windows Live.

Its superfluous and pointless, but not a show stopper at this point.

Also, instead of buying Ubisoft games through Steam, I tend to purchase keys cheap when they're on sale at GMG and just activate them directly with Uplay.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never played Civ 4 and never bought Civ 5 so I assume that the complete edition on Steam for $12.50 is a must buy, yeah? I've started to get the itch to play again...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I mean at 12 bucks you can't really regret it too much, but its pretty much "meh" in my mind. Definitely not a must buy, but if you're bored you might get some reasonable enjoyment out of it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Civ5 was boring. Not a bad game, just boring. Had some good new tech/development/interface/graphical stuff, though. Hopefully Civ6 will be 10% 5 and 90% 4, but the direction they're going doesn't bode well as the demo for the space expansion was just as boring (and actually just prompted me to install Final Frontier again which is good fun). Lots of fun to be had if you never played Civ4 with maps and scenarios and mods and stuff.

Sulrn

Deuces
Dandain would disagree, but I'd say no. I got it at release and would still take the 9.00 if they offered it to me.

I haven't played any of the HOMM games for comparison, but AoW just doesn't excel at anything. Units are bland and limited, spells are limited, crafting is limited, and the AI is pretty weak. One match and you'll have seen the entire game and it's lack of depth. Supposedly the DLC makes it better per what I remember from Dandain, but after wasting cash on the base game there was no way I could justify buying DLC to make the game fun.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Civ5 was boring. Not a bad game, just boring. Had some good new tech/development/interface/graphical stuff, though. Hopefully Civ6 will be 10% 5 and 90% 4, but the direction they're going doesn't bode well as the demo for the space expansion was just as boring (and actually just prompted me to install Final Frontier again which is good fun). Lots of fun to be had if you never played Civ4 with maps and scenarios and mods and stuff.
The thing about the game is that on more difficult settings there is really only one way to play, Food Growth + Science, Food Growth +Science, plus Food Growth + Science! Push population growth more and more and more. It makes early wars worthless unless you are Assyria. If you get caught up in an early war you may just reload the game because it breaks any snowball you may have. But its a great game to play while i figure out what I want to play kinda deal. 12 bucks is worth it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's a matter of principle at this point. I'm not buying a game on Steam only to have it run through Uplay. Small as it is, not buying their games is my protest at their asinine anti-consumer behaviour.
That means you're missing out on Anno 2070 and Settlers7 which are two of the best games on Steam out of blind "principals"

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Is it just me or did Black Friday and Cyber Monday blow this year? I can't find any insane deals like there normally are.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Has anyone played the Game of Thrones game from Telltale? I liked the Walking Dead ones and was curious is this was any good and it's only $14.99.

Thinking of picking up Age of Mythology for $7.50 too.

spronk

FPS noob
Has anyone played the Game of Thrones game from Telltale? I liked the Walking Dead ones and was curious is this was any good and it's only $14.99.

DO NOT BUY THE TELLTALE GAME OF THRONES ITS A TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE SERIES. The last episode is utter shit with all kinds of technical issues. The story for the entire thing is utter crap too. I wish someone had told me not to play it, I finished the entire thing. I do still like and enjoy the TV show, you pretty much have to have watched the entire TV series to understand whats going on in the game too.

I love the rest of the telltale games though, TWD was fantastic and I loved Wolf Among us even more. I'm told Tales from the Borderlands is also quite good, while the Minecraft one is crap. Telltale regularly sells their entire catalog at deep discounts, I picked up the PS4 versions of all their games for $36 last april and their entire catalog has gone up on humble I think once.

Telltale's biggest problem is that their engine is utter shit now, it looks goofy and fucked up when compared to all their story competition like Until Dawn, Life is Strange, etc.

Sulrn

Deuces

My girlfriend and I got my money's worth out of it even though we haven't been able to get together yet to play the finale episode. I thought WD was harder to sit through by far, but some of the choices in the game seem somewhat meaningless(as a gamer that's disappointing, but the gf hasn't really picked up on it/cared) on our respective runs.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
DO NOT BUY THE TELLTALE GAME OF THRONES ITS A TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE SERIES. The last episode is utter shit with all kinds of technical issues. The story for the entire thing is utter crap too. I wish someone had told me not to play it, I finished the entire thing. I do still like and enjoy the TV show, you pretty much have to have watched the entire TV series to understand whats going on in the game too.

I love the rest of the telltale games though, TWD was fantastic and I loved Wolf Among us even more. I'm told Tales from the Borderlands is also quite good, while the Minecraft one is crap. Telltale regularly sells their entire catalog at deep discounts, I picked up the PS4 versions of all their games for $36 last april and their entire catalog has gone up on humble I think once.

Telltale's biggest problem is that their engine is utter shit now, it looks goofy and fucked up when compared to all their story competition like Until Dawn, Life is Strange, etc.
Tales from the Borderlands is their best game imo. Even topped Wolf Among Us, which surprised me quite a bit.

Still not as good as Life Is Strange though--Telltale has real competition in their little niche genre now and needs to play catch-up badly.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Its pretty Meh, It is probably worth $15 if you have nothing else to do and really need more GoT content.