Steam Deals and Digital Sales

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I picked one up recently and used it a little.

Works fine. Even though I was on wireless connection and it recommends wired, I had barely a hiccup playing pretty intensive shit like Witcher 3 when I tested it.

Others probably use it way more than me can comment more on it, but I think its fine.
Used it for this long too, very impressed, have recommended it to others who had a need and everyone's been really happy.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Steam link is pretty great, especially for that price. We use it to play games in the living room because the wife doesn't like sitting at the computer upstairs. It has a free quirks that aren't hard to work around but it helps me that I can quickly move the wireless keyboard from my NAS to the Stream Link to fix without having to go up and down the stairs constantly.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I made out like a bandit. Got pretty much everything I wanted.
Primordia
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller - Season One + OST Vol 1
Underrail
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Blackwell Epiphany
Darkness Within 1: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage
Technobabylon
Astray
Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
Subterrain
The Silent Age
Uncanny Valley
Stairs
Victor Vran
Victor Vran: Original Soundtrack and Art Book
The Blackwell Bundle
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter
The Sea Will Claim Everything
Claire
DreadOut
The Last Door - Season One
The Old City
DreadOut Soundtrack &amp; Manga DLC
Prisoner of Ice
The Moon Sliver + The Music Machine
Shadow of the Comet
The Park
The Last Door Season 2
DreadOut: Keepers of The Dark
The Town Of Light

Still on my wishlist, but the price just wasn't right:
Homeworld Desert of Kharak
call of the Starseed

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It was terrible, barely even a game and almost less of a umm.. hentai thing or whatever that would be called.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I wound up with:

7 days to die
Bioshock Infinite (got it for only $5 because I had the other two)
Euro Truck Sim 2 DLC
Pinball FX DLC
Rocket League DLC

I haven't loaded up 7 days yet but I'm interested to see how that is. It is mildly satisfying to me playing ETS 2 for some reason. Just rolling down the road listening to music may not be much of a game but it's relaxing anyway.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
"BioShock Infinite is not being remastered on PC because it already meets current-gen console standards and runs smoothly on high visual settings."

I'm curious if the remasters are being ported to UE4 or what. Bioshock and Bioshock 2 were UE2 games, so they pretty much have to be. Infinite was UE3, and it would suck if consoles get a UE4 upgrade and PC is stuck with shitty UE3.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Templar Battleforce is awesome, thanks for the referral. I don't know how they aren't getting a Cease and Desist letter from Games Workshop though.
Haha I finally got around to playing it, and now I see what you mean. I thought you were referring to GW being pretty lawyer happy, but this isn't just a homage, it's damn near a straight ripoff of 40K/Space Hulk.

spronk

FPS noob
RIP to the old steam sales format, looks like the new way is more successful for devs. can't fault steam/devs, but i do miss the fun of the old steam sales

oNn9GgE.png

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Posted some similar thoughts to this on NeoGAF, but honestly I think most non-hardcore people (and even some of those) prefer the consistent sale over the flash/daily mess. Also don't have people waiting until the last day and then forgetting to actually buy anything, for whatever that helps. I bought the most this sale in years and it was almost all indie games that are normally $15-$20 that were 40%+ off, almost all at new historic lows (aside from 1 or 2 I think). Ghost 1.0, Axiom Verge, 20XX, Hard West, Thea, Immortal Defense, Ball/Solus bundle, and probably 10 more.

The games that had really steep discounts had them because they've been that cheap before, and/or are older. I think moderately priced quality indie games at moderate discounts is where the big money is going forward, althoughaccording to unconfirmed sales data, a lot of the regular heavy hitters that we tend to believe everyone already owns were still in the top. So you've still got plenty of gamers new to Steam or PC picking up classics on the super cheap, and you've got old foggeys like me picking up newer moderately cheap smaller titles. And then you've got people who only buy things 75% off or higher complaining that the sale is the worst ever despite all evidence to the contrary :p

A lot of the games that are at steep discounts are YEARS old, and a lot of the games everyone is talking about wanting cheaper are only months old, or less. I think the lower pressure for crazy discounts is good for the smaller developers (which tends to be what I gravitate towards anymore) because it lets them make more and fund more projects ideally and progress their price at a more comfortable pace. It also encourages people to actually play the games they buy, instead of overloading their backlog.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am still a bit disappointed about stardew only being 20% off and I had no chance of seeing a flash. A ton of things I had in my wishlist weren't even discounted. I would have to have taken a lot of fliers on 3-5 dollar games that will most likely be in a humble bundle in the future.

Things like Axiom Verge I looked really hard at, but then I was like...thats going to be 75% off in the winter or next summer, and I am in no hurry to play it. Even though it looks great. Plus i almost always go GOG now if they are in two stores.