Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is stardew valley good? I was thinking about picking it up but I know literally nothing about it. Just looked cool.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Is stardew valley good? I was thinking about picking it up but I know literally nothing about it. Just looked cool.
I wasn't really interested until I saw this video:

Now I intend to buy it, but I'm willing to wait for it to be offered at a big discount.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've never played a Harvest Moon game, which is what Stardew is compared to most, but I loved Stardew. Was all I played for a couple weeks. Edit: Bought at 10% off I think? Or full price. It's cheap enough where I didn't really care. I think I have 60 hours in it so well worth $15

I am still a bit disappointed about stardew only being 20% off and I had no chance of seeing a flash. A ton of things I had in my wishlist weren't even discounted. I would have to have taken a lot of fliers on 3-5 dollar games that will most likely be in a humble bundle in the future.

Things like Axiom Verge I looked really hard at, but then I was like...thats going to be 75% off in the winter or next summer, and I am in no hurry to play it. Even though it looks great. Plus i almost always go GOG now if they are in two stores.
I think this way of progression for indie games has fallen down a lot. Most of the more desired ones, even after being out a while, don't hit bundles or 75% off. Axiom Verge has been out over a year and just now hit 40% off, it's still widely regarded as the best Metroid since Super/Prime (depending who you ask), and it has done well without dropping to $5 or whatever.

My whole approach is... if a game isn't worth it at 40% off, I probably won't ever play it. I almost grabbed DOOM, but that WILL probably be cheaper by the end of the year and I knew I wasn't going to play it now. Axiom Verge I bought, installed, and am like 4 hours in (and it is indeed awesome aside from some of the sound effects being a bit terrible). A handful of the other games I bought I will load up and dig through in the next couple weeks as I wrap up Talos Principle and AC:Syndicate.

Like I said, the change to sales going from no-brain-buys to actual considerations really makes me stick to what I'm going to play. That has the benefit of the developer making more per sale, but also if I actually PLAY the game and enjoy it, then it spreads word of mouth too. A lot of the most vocal complainers about the Steam sale on other sites are people who have backlogs of hundreds of games and will never get around to playing the games they are wanting to buy. Fewer sales at a higher profit with more free advertising is arguably superior to that model.

GoG has been adding a lot of great games but there's still a lot of ones I want that are only on Steam or Humble Store so far. And their GoG connect thing refuses to work for me yet, it's been giving me the "high demand" loading error since the first hour of the program when I signed up. Obviously they don't even have to offer that program, but it is something they're using to try and pull in higher market share and it's failing me so eh.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm hooked. If Terraria hooked you I imagine Stardew will be the same. It is all about doing the same thing over and over but incrementally better.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm hooked. If Terraria hooked you I imagine Stardew will be the same. It is all about doing the same thing over and over but incrementally better.
I love Terraria but Stardew didn't hook me at all, though I never did the combat side, waiting for multiplayer version.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Stardew is great. I don't understand how or what it would even bring to the table as a multi-player experience. Seems like a purely single player game to me.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
He's adding co-op to it anyway.
I mean, why not at this point. He wouldn't have to work another day in his life if he didn't want to from the crazy success, give the people what they want and it's just more dumptrucks of cash for him. Hell, arguably better dev support than Minecraft ever had already.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Farm simulator, or mining simulator, or fishing simulator, or friendship simulator, or mega-corp-small-town-crushing simulator, or lumberjack simulator. Probably some other options in there as well that I don't even know about. You can pretty much do whatever you want and experience progression which is novel.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
What is it? A farm simulator?!
Its a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory clone, essentially, without all the Weaboo faggotry.

Farm simulator, or mining simulator, or fishing simulator, or friendship simulator, or mega-corp-small-town-crushing simulator, or lumberjack simulator. Probably some other options in there as well that I don't even know about. You can pretty much do whatever you want and experience progression which is novel.
Its literally just a Western one man made Harvest Moon/Rune Factory without all the anime crap.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I mean, why not at this point. He wouldn't have to work another day in his life if he didn't want to from the crazy success, give the people what they want and it's just more dumptrucks of cash for him. Hell, arguably better dev support than Minecraft ever had already.
I mean yeah sure. I just don't understand why people want it. I can't see how any of the game mechanics even allow you to interact with another player in a meaningful way. I mean what is there to do? Go to the mines together? Help someone clear their farm? Is going to allow player romances and add a sex mini-game? I don't understand what there is to do.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I mean yeah sure. I just don't understand why people want it. I can't see how any of the game mechanics even allow you to interact with another player in a meaningful way. I mean what is there to do? Go to the mines together? Help someone clear their farm? Is going to allow player romances and add a sex mini-game? I don't understand what there is to do.
You've pretty much covered it. Farm together. Mine together. Go to the events together. I dunno.

The farming side is infinite, I don't see why it wouldn't work co-op

It doesn't interest me, but since he's also bringing the game to consoles now, I imagine it is in part to appeal to kids.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
All of that stuff. Why not have two farms and help each other? Why not dungeon together? People want less interesting things in other games and mod them in so whatever. I'm not gonna play co-op I imagine but I can understand people wanting it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
God of War 3 remaster $8 for PS+!

I've been playing them on EMU. So good.

/nowhere else to put this

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory clone, essentially, without all the Weaboo faggotry.
Back in my day Harvest Moon meant clearing land, planting/harvesting crops, tending to animals, and maybe marrying a bitch if you weren't going for the millionaire ending.

old.jpg

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone got any good recommendations for a game to play with my wife, who is not a gamer at all? Stardew kind of looks like something that might be close, but a little boring.

I picked up Subnautica during the sale and if that had coop, it might be decent.