Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
GameFly Winter Sale day 4 has Saints Row IV for $16, Civ V: Brave New World for $8, Witcher 2 for $6.40, and my personal favorite, Silent Storm Gold for a mere $2. Fantastic game if you like squad turn-based strategy (Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout Tactics, etc.).

[Those prices are with coupon code GFDDEC20 applied.]

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else not able to connect to steam, keeps saying im offline, even though im posting now, and watching twitch, restarted my pc and everything.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Anyone else not able to connect to steam, keeps saying im offline, even though im posting now, and watching twitch, restarted my pc and everything.
Same here. It tells me I'm not connected to the internet, or that my connection is not properly configured for Steam.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Same. I didn't see scheduled downtime so I tried deleting the Steam folder except for SteamApps and Steam.exe - no luck. Just an unscheduled downtime I guess?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Same. I didn't see scheduled downtime so I tried deleting the Steam folder except for SteamApps and Steam.exe - no luck. Just an unscheduled downtime I guess?
Yeah i guess so, i tried doing the same fucked with the regedit to force no offline etc.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Was L.A. Noire worth $5? Never played it 1st time around but remember looking forward to it.
Gameplay isn't that great and I recall thinking some of the clue choices or reactions to interrogation tactics didn't make sense, but I think it has a great atmosphere, a really engrossing story and good voice-acting.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I liked it enough that I got 100% completion on the PS3 version at release and then just bought the complete pack a couple days ago for $6 to play through it again on PC with all the DLCs. I'm a sucker for anything related to that era though; I've read everything James Ellroy has written, L.A. Confidential is my favorite movie, I'm loving that new Mob City show on TNT, etc. ...so YMMV there.

It's far from a perfect game though, even to a huge fan of the genre. You play a character who is sort of an Ed Exley type, except considerably more of a douchebag at his worst. The plot has a 'wtf moment' about 2/3 of the way through in which he does something incredibly stupid. You have no control over either of those things, it's just how it plays out, and I found that irritating. Another complaint I had was that the city has an absurd amount of wasted space in it. If you take the time to collect all the movie reels after beating the game, you quickly realize that there's a ton of locations in the city that you never had any reason to go to. It's not a particularly short game but given all the troubles Team Bondi had while making it I had to wonder just how much got cut out in order to finally ship it.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I enjoyed LA Noire, but I think it's the type of game you have to know you're going into primarily for the story. A lot of people seemed to assume it was just going to be GTA set in the 1940s when it's more like a GTA/adventure game hybrid that has a much heavier emphasis towards the adventure side. Like Vorph, I'm pretty much of a sucker for that era and a lot of my enjoyment from it came from the detail they spent creating a very authentic world. The game isn't without it's flaws, but I think if you enjoy the time period and like adventure games, it's worth the $7.50. (If you get it, I'd recommend just getting the DLC too. It adds four extra missions that fit into the game pretty seamlessly, and a couple of them were actually among my favorite missions.)

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I didn't find the story engaging. The majority of the characters were dull, and most of the cases were mediocre.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I also heard (I wouldn't know I quit before) that the first few mission sets are amongst the worse. Once you get promoted out of traffic it is supposed to pick up but I got so fed up with the seemingly randomness of the clues and just taking shots in the dark with my questioning I gave up.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the feedback all, think I'll skip it this go round and maybe pick it up in a Rockstar pack or something later if it becomes available.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
One of the nice things about Steam is that you can skip a sale and be sure the same item you skipped will be on sale again in the future, possibly for less.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I also heard (I wouldn't know I quit before) that the first few mission sets are amongst the worse. Once you get promoted out of traffic it is supposed to pick up but I got so fed up with the seemingly randomness of the clues and just taking shots in the dark with my questioning I gave up.
Yeah, that's true. The patrol and traffic desks appear to mainly be designed as a way of getting you familiar with how the game works and its characters. Once you reach homicide, the story really picks up and the missions become a lot more interesting.