Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
i wouldn't keep a rog ally too many problems

lenovo is building their own steam deck too, running win 11. they tend to make decent hardware

deck is still the best imo right now because of SteamOS and price
Hard disagree with this. The only potential deal breaking problem on the Ally is the SD card issue, but I load everything to the nvme drive for better load times anyway so I'm unaffected.

I have the top model Steam Deck and the Ally, I can't imagine ever using the Deck again. The screen/vrr on the Ally alone makes gaming on the Deck unpalatable in comparison, forget about the fact that everything I tried on the Deck was running 30-40 fps while the same games run at 60+ on the Ally. 15w mode on the Ally is pretty comparable in performance to the Deck, probably a little better in fact, and they both top out around 2 hours of battery life (30w mode on the Ally pretty much necessitates plugging in, but performance is way better).

Yes, SteamOS is easier to use than Windows, but Armory Crate SE on the Ally is still pretty decent (unlike Armory Crate on desktop, which can eat a bag of dicks).

If you can live with 512 gb of storage (or are willing to upgrade the drive), the Ally is imo a way better experience

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hard disagree with this. The only potential deal breaking problem on the Ally is the SD card issue, but I load everything to the nvme drive for better load times anyway so I'm unaffected.

I have the top model Steam Deck and the Ally, I can't imagine ever using the Deck again. The screen/vrr on the Ally alone makes gaming on the Deck unpalatable in comparison, forget about the fact that everything I tried on the Deck was running 30-40 fps while the same games run at 60+ on the Ally. 15w mode on the Ally is pretty comparable in performance to the Deck, probably a little better in fact, and they both top out around 2 hours of battery life (30w mode on the Ally pretty much necessitates plugging in, but performance is way better).

Yes, SteamOS is easier to use than Windows, but Armory Crate SE on the Ally is still pretty decent (unlike Armory Crate on desktop, which can eat a bag of dicks).

If you can live with 512 gb of storage (or are willing to upgrade the drive), the Ally is imo a way better experience
I’ll buy your steam deck. $100 and free shipping.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am finally going to load my games from Epic on my Deck and I am curious what you guys recommend. Lutris? Heroic? I read about a proton option too.

Also, what SSD do you guys recommend?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For those of you using it with a dock on a tv etc, think I can use it for a setup to play Forza etc on a tv. My computer desk is with me backed into a wall and not really room to set up this rig I'm wanting to buy off a coworker.

It's a G29 wheel, shifter, pedal box etc rigged onto a seat. Not sure how many plugs I'm looking at hence not sure if a dock could handle routing everything into a deck, and I've never tried it so not sure how good it is at keeping decent graphics running on a tv. (Might be buying a medium sized cheapo flatscreen to pair with it. When we moved we only kept out biggest TV which wife wont share.

Aazrael

I am finally going to load my games from Epic on my Deck and I am curious what you guys recommend. Lutris? Heroic? I read about a proton option too.

Also, what SSD do you guys recommend?
I got a Samsung 1TB from Aliexpress for like 70 bucks. It works perfectly for me. Also got a 512GB microSD for emulators.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The form factor of this looks really nice.

I like that the commercial for it says “game longer” and doesn’t mention the battery life, it just shows a dead battery and being able to plug it in to keep playing. Knowing Lenovo products the battery probably lasts 20 minutes.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I like that the commercial for it says “game longer” and doesn’t mention the battery life, it just shows a dead battery and being able to plug it in to keep playing. Knowing Lenovo products the battery probably lasts 20 minutes.

I think the point is fast charging, not the fact that you can plug in an electronic handheld and battery go up.

• 1Galaxy Brain

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
The Lenovo Legion Go has been officially announced with some hands on now. The form factor still looks great with the controller functioning as a mouse really opens it up to games that dont play well on steam deck. Will wait till normal consumers have it for awhile though and see how it shakes out.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
that does look pretty awesome, i'll probably buy one for a trip in Dec if it releases before then

which is dumb, i haven't turned on my steam deck in like 2 months but itd be nice to have a windows machine and streaming tablet that plays games on vacation

looks like the release date is Oct at $699 base model, wonder if its direct buy or it'll show up at Best Buy, Amazon, etc like the Rog

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So my micro SD card is suddenly not showing up in gaming mode. However, it shows on desktop mode.

I think this happened after my deck ran dead from battery.

I've tried re-seating, restarts, etc.

Any ideas?

Edit: If anyone else ever has this issue, I found the answer in this thread

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aazrael

Version 3.5 is out on the Preview update channel. Supposedly fixing some issues and imoproves FPS in some games. It is not a finished patch though.

Needless

Toe Sucker
ended up getting one during the sale last month, the emudeck setup process is pretty nice with how easy they made it. It's nice to be able to play PS2 games again real easily

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone play Game Pass on their Deck? My understanding is that you are actually cloud gaming, so I was curious what that experience is like.

Aazrael

ended up getting one during the sale last month, the emudeck setup process is pretty nice with how easy they made it. It's nice to be able to play PS2 games again real easily
Yea the emudeck is nice. I got Ps1/2 and Switch games on mine. Even added a few GBA games I want to play.

Adding Switch games is a bit annoying but I got some loaded on the Deck for now.

PXL_20231009_133200601~2.jpg

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Does anyone play Game Pass on their Deck? My understanding is that you are actually cloud gaming, so I was curious what that experience is like.

yeah i ran it once or twice, just launched chrome inside SteamOS and opened xbox.com/play in the browser and it worked fine. Cloud gaming, so obvously need to be online with a decent connection. I just started forza horizon 5 and played a few mins, it ran fine but i didn't really enjoy it. Probably better for indie games, but all of those are on steam anyways so seems kinda pointless unless you wanna do a quick check in on progression in stuff like Destiny or other gaas games

i also have a microSD card with windows installed, its not a great way to go since apparently putting windows on a SD card destroys it pretty quickly due to the constant writes but i was able to boot into windows and launch a few local gamepass games. did it once and have never booted windows again, the deck really isn't built to run windows well, the screen sucks for it (rez) and you get dialog windows off screen, constant update reminders, not great.

If you really wanna do that kind of thing the ASUS Rog or the upcoming Legion Go is probably way better since they all run windows natively, not Steam OS

The Lenovo Go releases in 2 weeks and looks pretty awesome tbh, review embargo ends in 10 days so should see a lot of reviews soon. Its $700 though and is basically a tablet with switch controllers, I've thought about buying one (best buy will sell it and I have enough reward points to make it free for me) for a long vacation coming up but end of the day i'm not gonna sit around like a retard playing video games all day on vacation in a foreign country, and i only use my steam deck when i have to sit around waiting rooms which is rare. Instead I bought a kindle paperwhite for books and a Samsung S9 OLED tablet to watch sci fi shows and thats enough, can xcloud the tablet if i really want.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

The Lenovo Legion Go looks solid. If I did not have a Deck I might have considered it.

Really enjoying the Deck though. Bought a long 90° charging cable and now I can finally play for longer periods.