Steam dun fucked up

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No because it isn't money, it's credit. Most of them are pretty reasonable if you are a long term customer and have records.

It's very unlikely you'll have CC fraud by someone buying random like services/items in the same geographical area as you.

Getting your debit card stolen is a lot worse because the actual money is gone by time you catch it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
With all these fuckups everywhere, I am so glad I have never had a credit card. Is it a nightmare if your money disappears through it?
I'm no expert but I feel like there's actually a lot of protection with using a credit card. Not only because banks in the US compete with each other to offer identity theft protection and insurance, but when you pay via credit you're using the banks money. And if there's some theft, that's the banks money and they have to ask you to pay for it. You can decline and they can sue you and may win in court, but it's a costly process banks often take the high road and eat the loss.

Compare that to a checking account where if someone cashes a check, that's your money and it's gone. Maybe the bank will compensate you, maybe they won't. But you're the one whose money is on the line.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I've had my card number stolen before. I got a new debit card with the RFID chip on it and the second I activated it someone 100 miles away used it to buy a grand worth of stuff. I went to the bank the next day and they gave me my money back 6 hours later. It wasn't really a big deal.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Using a credit card is infinitely safer than using a debit card/cash. The money isn't real until you pay the bill and there are more safeties in place and monitoring.

This is US, strictly speaking - I don't know about Germany.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure how it is in the US, but here the one who accepted your stolen credit card is the one getting screwed. Banks will not pay him and you will not get charged (if you complained of course, otherwise you're fucked).

sebur

Bronze Squire
Actually what use to happen is credit cards were safe as ya'll described above (banks have to eat the loss/take off fraudulent charges or the business eats it) and debit cards usually the best you could do put a hold and stop the stealing process and maybe, maybe 6+ months down the road you get your money back.

That being said, from my understanding the new RFID chips are to combat exactly that. If an RFID chip enabled card is stolen (debit/credit doesn't matter) and the vendor does not use a RFID card reader then the business is liable, if the vendor does use one then the bank is liable, either way it is suppose to protect the consumer all around.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Actually what use to happen is credit cards were safe as ya'll described above (banks have to eat the loss/take off fraudulent charges or the business eats it) and debit cards usually the best you could do put a hold and stop the stealing process and maybe, maybe 6+ months down the road you get your money back.

That being said, from my understanding the new RFID chips are to combat exactly that. If an RFID chip enabled card is stolen (debit/credit doesn't matter) and the vendor does not use a RFID card reader then the business is liable, if the vendor does use one then the bank is liable, either way it is suppose to protect the consumer all around.
The chip protects against a very small subset of fraud (at least in the US) with that being counterfeit credit cards. This would be where someone gets your credit card number, and then prints a fake magnetic stripe card to use in stores. It has zero use in online sales. The only currency you'll find in my wallet is a credit card. You can contest charges online, get rewards, and have no exposure if you lose them. Not to mention other small perks like Amex 90 days return for small items, rental car insurance, etc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also in this case, you wouldn't have gotten your CC numbers stolen. Only thing that could have happened is some idiot buying a bunch of steam games on your account. Then you could just have contacted steam and refunded everything. However it doesn't seem this even happened to anyone, probably cause even though it showed someone else's account, you couldn't just buy shit off a cached page. So really nothing happened other than your personal info potentially being stolen, like your name/email/adress/phone number(if using a CC and linking the phone number to it)/paypal email(if linked to paypal).

And yeah the chip shouldn't do anything for online purchases, assuming that's the same chip we've been using for years. It mostly prevents people from using your card or a copy of your card in a real shop without your personnal code, assuming they use the system.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I changed from debit to credit in 2010. Credit is so much safer and I have one of those premium cards that give me 2% back every purchase. Using debit is dumb unless you have no self control to pay off your credit bill every month.

spronk

FPS noob
The problem is not the money gone when dealing with online systems like steam, PSN, xbox, Blizzard, etc. The problem is that (1) you will need to waste time talking to your bank/CC to reverse the charges, and more importantly (2) steam/sony/microsoft can and will ban your account if they get charges reversed on them. Steam especially can be brutal since they have like 2 tech support people so getting ahold of anyone to fix the problem is like beating a level 200 raid boss solo.

I never, ever attach any payment methods to online systems anymore. I only use wallet cards, which I purchase at best buy, gamestop, amazon, etc with my credit card. That way even if something fucks up and someone else tries to use my account, the max they can purchase is whatever i currently have funded up on those systems.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I changed from debit to credit in 2010. Credit is so much safer and I have one of those premium cards that give me 2% back every purchase. Using debit is dumb unless you have no self control to pay off your credit bill every month.
Quoted for truth. 2% cashback on everything is basically free money for me. I've paid 0 interest on this CC and get all points that I just redeem on Amazon.

The problem is not the money gone when dealing with online systems like steam, PSN, xbox, Blizzard, etc. The problem is that (1) you will need to waste time talking to your bank/CC to reverse the charges, and more importantly (2) steam/sony/microsoft can and will ban your account if they get charges reversed on them. Steam especially can be brutal since they have like 2 tech support people so getting ahold of anyone to fix the problem is like beating a level 200 raid boss solo.

I never, ever attach any payment methods to online systems anymore. I only use wallet cards, which I purchase at best buy, gamestop, amazon, etc with my credit card. That way even if something fucks up and someone else tries to use my account, the max they can purchase is whatever i currently have funded up on those systems.

This happens often?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Using a credit card is infinitely safer than using a debit card/cash. The money isn't real until you pay the bill and there are more safeties in place and monitoring.

This is US, strictly speaking - I don't know about Germany.
Amex/Discover get at me. But for real, they are amazing. I have lost products before, and they have replaced them (under Amex).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This happens often?
Not sure which part you mean, but it happens relatively often yeah, like when people get "hacked", which is generally reusing passwords/having trojan of some sorts/forgetting to change your pass after you played at a "friend's" house and shit like that.

The result varies depending on which platform you get fucked on though. PSN is notoriously fucking shit at refunding stuff, and if you chargeback, they'll just close your shit no question asked and basically all you digital games are gone forever, even the ones you bought. That's even if it's fucking obvious that there was an issue cause all of a sudden you bought 300$ worth of games at once. The problem is even more insidious because a "hacker" can create a subaccount on your account and you can't refund anything on that because whatever fucking weird ass reasons. So quite often you'll get refunded A PART of what you spent, and still have to pay the rest if you want to use your account. Whole system is fucking shit, and anyone with a bit of info on you can sometimes get the PSN support to give them access, which is even more fucked. Definitely don't keep any form of automatic payment on PSN if you use it a lot(or at all really).

I don't know about Xbox, but I'd assume it's similar shit as PSN. Same for Blizzard I don't know how it works, however Blizzard has more complex security in general(authenticator, IP based verifications etc) and I don't think you can buy that much on a Bnet account anyway. Maybe WoW shit I guess. Also Bnet requires ID to do any account level modifications, so it's harder for anyone having access to your account to transfer ownership or whatever. On the other hand if you're a retard and typed random shit on your Bnet info and you get in trouble, you're not getting it back, so don't do that.

For Steam, it's A BIT better, in the sense that it has better security also, and they're usually pretty easy with the refunds(hell if the games aren't played you don't even need to contact support, although if you try to refund 300$ worth of games they might flag your account for some shit), however they'll sometimes fuck some shit up, and since it takes like 3-4weeks to get an answer to an email to their support, it takes fucking forever to have a back and forth to fix anything they might have fucked when reverting the account. So for Steam you better hope they don't fuck up, or your only solutions are literally emailing Gabe or trying to get Reddit sharpening their pitchforks which generally gets someone important to check it. Steam has easily the worst customer support of pretty much any online platform, even the shit like Uplay and Origin.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've had my card number stolen before. I got a new debit card with the RFID chip on it and the second I activated it someone 100 miles away used it to buy a grand worth of stuff. I went to the bank the next day and they gave me my money back 6 hours later. It wasn't really a big deal.
I don't think the new chips are all that much of an improvement. The rest of the world uses chip and pin, we use chip and sign.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
My case it was obviously someone on the inside of the company making the cards or in the post office. I live out in the middle of no where and my neighbors on both sides are nosy as fuck 80 year old couples. I know no one was opening my mailbox or they would have said something. When I broke my legs they called me to tell me some strange man (my Father) was cutting my lawn.

My debit card was due for expiration so they sent me a new one with an rfid chip on it. I got it out of the mail, opened the envelope, got in the car and drove to the bank and activated it. Literally within a minute of when I activated the card someone used it to make a purchase 100 miles away at a Macy's. I would feel more secure if it was chip and pin. I honestly don't understand what advantage the chip has. It's not like rfid chips are unable to be forged. Heck, this way the person at the counter doesn't even see your signature on the back of your card to match it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
For Steam, it's A BIT better, in the sense that it has better security also, and they're usually pretty easy with the refunds(hell if the games aren't played you don't even need to contact support, although if you try to refund 300$ worth of games they might flag your account for some shit), however they'll sometimes fuck some shit up, and since it takes like 3-4weeks to get an answer to an email to their support, it takes fucking forever to have a back and forth to fix anything they might have fucked when reverting the account. So for Steam you better hope they don't fuck up, or your only solutions are literally emailing Gabe or trying to get Reddit sharpening their pitchforks which generally gets someone important to check it. Steam has easily the worst customer support of pretty much any online platform, even the shit like Uplay and Origin.
Yep. I'd rather be dealing with fraudulent charges at this point instead of waiting for a response from Steam's support team on my not receiving verification emails. Security is good, but their systems shit the bed often enough it's a pain in the ass. Meanwhile all 6 of the platforms I've installed Steam are requiring a verification code from an email they can't seem to send. Used to preach against Steam and DRM for these reasons, but finally caved. And now I can't play most of my games because Steam can't manage to send an email and idiotically doesn't have the option to send the code to your phone instead unless you log into your account that you can't log in to.

Edit: what a shit show. Without logging in I can 'recovery' my account by prompting it to send me a code to my cell instead of email, which let me change my password and emil. But, once recovered, it still only lets you send the code to an email. How hard is a 'send code to my fucking phone' button for when Steam can't manage to send an email. And I changed my email, but it's still saying it auto-generated the verification code to the original email.

Yeah, would rather someone steal my credit card as that's usually resolved fast and with actual people to call to fix the problem.

spronk

FPS noob
I don't think the new chips are all that much of an improvement. The rest of the world uses chip and pin, we use chip and sign.
Chip is fairly secure, duplicating it in a new card is insanely difficult. HOWEVER, America allows you to completely bypass it and just use the magnetic stripe on the back of the same card. So even if you have a chip card, the stripe is valid and usable at any merchant. The stripe is super easy to dupe, any moron can swipe your card on their homemade machine and get an exact dupe of your stripe and the 3 digit code (and your name, etc) which is all they need to build a fake credit/debit card.

As of last month, merchants are responsible for fraud if they did not use the chip dip. So more and more merchants are going to move to payment systems that will not allow swipes, but until that happens a chip card is more or less only as secure as its weakest link - the stripe. In Europe nobody allows the swipe anymore and as far as they are concerned no cards have magnet stripes, you have to do the chip input.

Sulrn

Deuces

I think TB did a pretty good job summing up my feelings. I doubt the goodwill is going to change anytime soon, but between the Skyrim mod thing, July, the flash sales leaving, and now this - I think we could be seeing a plateau leading to a slow reversal.