Steam Events (Next Fest, etc)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Starting a thread to discuss the demos, recommendations etc from the recurring Steam events that typically churn out a lot of demos and content on new/in development titles.

Thanks for the idea Caliane Caliane

Current Next Fest landing page: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/nextfest

Have heard good things about Pacific Drive and Final Factory.

Have those and the following installed to give a try:

- Stellar Settlers
- Global Conflagration
- Homeworld 3

Also re-downloaded Entropy Survivors. It is kinda nice looking and co-op, but the controls were a bit offputting, going to give it another go.

Tribes 3 has a demo worth checking out, too, if that was ever your thing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Feb 06-feb 12, 2024 next fest.

nice I was, typing up a post myself. I was n't originally, since I've not had a chance to play any, so no recommendations..
But, some youtubers/streamers have. so, can just repeat them.

Here's mortismal making some recommendations to check out. ALSO check out the comments, as viewers left some notes.
I'll be checking out soul mask, maybe crown wars.

Pacific drive comes up a bunch.

Dungeonborne as well. dark and darker clone.

acg recommending survive the fall.
Survive the Fall on Steam
I Loved Survive the Fall on Steam Next Fest

ardenfall. morrowwind at home.
I think this demo is just always up. But this one was really neat last nextfest,
Ardenfall on Steam

so, anyone else check anything out and think others should too?

looks like Neverlooted Dungeon demo is back up too. check that one out.
"Dive into the depths of Neverlooted Dungeon, a first-person dungeon crawler immersive sim that embraces atmospheric exploration, treacherous deadly traps, and outstanding freedom of action, drawing inspiration from classics like Thief, Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, and Dark Souls"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

soulmask got a laugh out of me pretty quick

jiggle physics. notice, the D cup is also the SMALLEST breast size. can make super fat characters too. which actually are modeled well for real fat people. jaw gets fat, belly gets full.

soulmask-boobies1.jpg

Actually playing it. pretty janky, and rough at first.
two things stand out
1. very deep crafting it seems.
you cut down a tree, you get bark, logs, hardwood logs, branchs, premium hardwood, nuts, bugs, resin..
2. Village/tribe building/automation. you don't just build an empty base in this. you recruit villagers, build a tribe. they craft, farm, etc for you. looks VERY robust atm. almost too much so. I could barely make heads or tails out of the a.i. and my villager just kindof sat there at the bonfire...

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This game is hilarious and I highly recommend. Do yourself a favor and watch the gif on the steam page.

4 player co-op dungeon crawler.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Played around in this some, movement co-op old school shooter vibes.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Dungeon Borne is...not bad? The level design is light years ahead of Dark and Darker, and the combat is significantly less plodding/1992 feeling. The latter is maybe good or bad depending on your perspective. Classes are cool but relatively bare bones.

It has a classic RPG leveling system though that just comes with more stats/hp as you level, which kind of torpedoes the entire idea of making a PvP game like this? I played a couple hours and by level 5 had ~20% more hp and primary stats than I did at level 1, which meant anyone that was still level 1 was just chaff to be reaped at my leisure.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Further Dungeon Borne nonsense:

If you played the demo double check your system cause it probably left Tencent anticheat (spyware) garbage on your machine:

in system32/drivers both ACE-BASE.sys and ACE-GAME.sys will linger and autorun as system services unless you go remove them manually, along with some other mostly useless garbage in programdata

• 3Like
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

From chat in mortismal's thread.
Guild saga is pretty interesting so far. pixel art divinity: os2.
This one I think is worth a watch if you like jprgs, or divinity.

Caribbean legend.. the jankiest thing to ever jank... I'm not sure if I'm being trolled seeing so many people mention it.

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Two in the Bullet Heaven genre. Both have some potential, but the control schemes completely ruined both for me. I only played each for 5-10 minutes, and I know they are demos so it is possible shit gets fixed, but right now I'd never play them simply because of the controls. To be fair, one didn't have controller support worth even attempting (I did for a few minutes), so maybe full support would change my attitude. But they both had very annoying "you are attacking (in a particular direction no less) so you stop/slow movement" which is, in my opinion, completely contrary to the whole genre. Directional is fine, but movement is key in all of these games, and to have to practically stop every time you swing/shoot is annoying, if not deadly. Not to mention, auto attack should be an option, and while the extra attacks you pick up are auto, your starter/main attacks aren't. Which might be due to the fact that it fucking stops your movement.

If they had full controller support and eliminated the movement stutter when attacking, and auto attacked with everything, they might be worth $3. I have a feeling they will cost more than that to start, however, and even with those fixes I don't see enough there to justify it.

Uninstalled Dungeonborne within 5 minutes. Didn't realize it was fully online/pvp, was thinking I could just adventure on my own. And maybe picking the pyromancer made it harder, but the cooldowns were so shitty that I was trying to melee with my staff most of the time. And then someone nukes me with their pyro from long distance, when I didn't even realize there were other players. No thanks. Give me PVE Carebear/solo servers and maybe I'll try it on super sale.

Survive the Fall could have been mediocre, but honestly the whole "have your party members doing shit at the same time" is a gimmick, not an actual useful feature. At least for me, maybe I'm just terrible at multitasking (I am). It seemed like I was only doing it to do it, but it wasn't really saving me any time because you still have to cycle to them and loot whatever they were harvesting, and then hit ctrl to join back together. And in combat/stealth, the other characters either stood by and did nothing or they ran in ahead of me. It seems like that "multi-action" stuff is a big part of their intended gameplay, and it just didn't work for me at all. I could be retarded though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Itsa visual novel! Really good though. I'm not really sure where the story is going, but so far it feels like a slice of life anime kindof. Very comfy game.

Really nice art and music. The only negative I can say about the writing is it was tricky to figure out what people's names were. I didn't know my character's name, and there was a girl that seems to have like 5 nicknames.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Itsa visual novel! Really good though. I'm not really sure where the story is going, but so far it feels like a slice of life anime kindof. Very comfy game.

Really nice art and music. The only negative I can say about the writing is it was tricky to figure out what people's names were. I didn't know my character's name, and there was a girl that seems to have like 5 nicknames.

hahgay.gif

• 6Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Maybe tell your wives about it? :D

I guess there's a reason most of these games have a female protagonist, though this one is male.

BTW did anyone try space truckers? That one looked interesting but is it really VR only? I still have an old oculus and it is a pain to get all the sensors out and plugged in.

Last edited:

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Maybe tell your wives about it? :D

I guess there's a reason most of these games have a female protagonist, though this one is male.

BTW did anyone try space truckers? That one looked interesting but is it really VR only? I still have an old oculus and it is a pain to get all the sensors out and plugged in.

Slice of Life is definitely a chick thing. That shit bores me to tears, but my wife enjoys them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nextfest formatting suddenly fucked up for anyone else? Instead of being able to install a demo directly from the Nextfest page, I have to go to the individual page for the title.

1707445608120.png