Steam winter auction 2014

spronk

FPS noob
Steam Community :: Holiday Auction

so steam is doing a new thing for the winter sale, which starts Dec 18th (1 week). In addition to the normal badge crafting and achievement and crap, they have implemented something that lets them sort of clean people up out of their extra trading cards, badges, backgrounds, etc.

Basically they are putting up hundreds/thousands of steam games up for "auction", but you don't bid money. You bid gems. Which you get from converting your steam crap. There are dozens or hundreds of copies of each game too.

Personally for me its way too much effort, maybe someone will make some chrome extensions that auto convert all your crap into gems and find games on your wishlist, then I'll try. But for now, if you wanna screw around with it, click the link above, login to steam, and then click on check your inventory to see what various items are "worth" when turned into gems.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
rrr_img_84861.jpg

I guess we missed it!

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Based on my quick glance in my own inventory, even if I consumed every card I have, I'm not sure I'd have more than a few thousand gems maybe. Too much work!

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Market is fucked. Can pack 1000 gems into a bag and put on market. Endless errors trying to buy the god damn things though. Put in a few hundred gems on various games I think I'll get. Anyone trying to compete for AAA titles is probably going to wind up disappointed though.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Nevermind finally got a buy order through that filled so I have 500,000 gems now. Now to decide if I should bid or wait for market to stop shitting itself and for prices to go back up. 1000 gems should have a bottom price of .30 based on the minimum cost to generate that many b y poofing backgrounds and shit.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Because until people start placing genuine bids on the 15th instead of tracking bids it "looks" like you can get any game for less than a dollars worth of gems. When in reality once real bids are placed as actions start ending there are going to be a fuck ton of people with no games and a ton of useless gems.

spronk

FPS noob
there's apparently some bug that is letting people dupe gems but i ain't going near that shit, i love my steam account too much to risk a ban

2U9U0v7.png

^^ not mine just a screenshot someone took and posted on neogaf

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Why are people turning their cards into gems, when its a far better idea to sell them and then buy gems

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Card prices are about to plummet btw. Highest booster pack combine cost I saw was 1200 gems. All my gems/sacks are now non trade/marketable but can still be used to make boosters. Made one of everything myself but it's limited to 1 per day per game (may have been unlimited for a while dunno).

TL/DR 3 cents per 3 cards for any game to make them atm. Steam I am disappoint. Didn't they have this duping problem before? Oh well I'm fine with it since my 750,000 gems should get me a couple games I think. I'll be salty as hell if not though.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Or not haha. All my gems/bags are now gone from inv and shits disabled. Motherfuckers better give me my $15 back.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea it looks like they shut it down, the banner is not on the homepage anymore.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably the best way to handle it, although I'm sure some bought cards with gems and in turn made some money on resale. It may turn out you get your gems back on top of what you traded the gems for as I can't imagine they are going to overturn every single gem trade.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The whole system is fucky. If you've used the Steam Achievement program to get cards you probably shouldn't be complaining about prices or gems. That so many have used it has done more damage to the system to the people who earned their cards than anything else.

Not that I give a shit, I used it too for the 50 or so games I never planned on playing or got in a bundle for free. Point is, the whole system is fucked. Go GoG.com route and just give everyone a free game. But I guess Valve makes bank off all the transaction fees during these "promotions".

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Cool they are resetting it, but did they really think people weren't going to exploit the system? Eh, glad they are trying to fix it.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Eh. Kinda soured on the whole thing due to all the wasted time since I didn't jump on the make 9000 booster bandwagon before they limited creation. Would have been nice to leave a token bid of 1 gem if you had made enough to cover it though because going through their buggy ass list is a pita. Game positions flip flop for whatever reason leading to amusing shit like placing a bid and going back and the game you bid on not even being on the same page you just left. As well as less amusing things like going through all 134 pages and then having to search for games that never got displayed.

Still don't see how some of these bids can be legit unless someone spent literally hours buying low priced shit to poof on the market. Think 100,000 gems equates to $30 now based on highest conversion rate I saw @ $.03 per item. Probably about 4-5 hours on the market/poofing on top of it so not fucking worth it to save $20.

For those who might care prices are already spiraling but the following tend to be 100 gems/each. Loadout emote/background, Marvel 2015 background, Gunz 2 emote/background, Hawken emote/background, Dead Island Epidemic emote/background, Blacklight : Retribution emote/background. Have yet to see anything that poofs for more than 100 a pop except foil cards which are about 280 per from what I saw. Lots of shit from various games poofs for 80(Legend of Grimrock 2) but I didn't bother to track that stuff although it's already cheaper to buy those for .03 than to buy the 100 gem items.

Spent about $10 while the stuff was still 3/4 cents myself. Gonna wait and see how high it climbs and either resell if people are retarded or see if I can't get my moneys worth by winning a couple games. Something to kill time in the mountains I guess.