SteamOS - SteamWare

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
So I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them chop it down, but if they didn't, we'd finally have a situation where there could be console games that aren't as easy to recreate for the PC market.
Finally ? How is that a good thing ?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think we'll ever get to a point where we need to upgrade our graphics card every year like in the early/mid 2000s. The speed at which technology is advancing has slowed way down - and I don't know that game graphics really need to get much better before they enter the Uncanny Valley range of realism.
I agree with the first part and completely disagree with the second. Artists can do much better with a higher polygon/texture size budget.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think technology is still advancing just fine, but consumers just aren't as interested as they used to be, and gaming companies aren't shoving the next level of graphical entertainment up their asses as much as they did with games like Crysis.

A lot of people have gravitated to cheaper games, for whatever their reason. Which is great, because now they have to make good games that are still eye-catching for the limited hardware of things like cell phones.

You know, with this console and others, they could always have an upgrade slot. They did that with the Nintendo 64 and its memoryExpansion Pak.

Not that I'm particularly thrilled with the idea of having to add-on new hardware later to a console just to play better games, but it beats having to buy a new one.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PS4 rumors I've seen have said 2GB with devs asking for 4GB (just like I'm sure they asked for 1GB last time around, and look how that turned out).

8GB is a pipe dream IMO, and frankly it'd be overkill for console gaming anyway.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Why would it be a pipe dream? Ram is like $30. There's absolutely no reason not to.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'll believe it when I see it. I put nothing past any of the companies when it comes to being cheap with hardware.

Sean_sl

shitlord
That was true at some point maybe, but not for this next gen. This upcoming generation is, SUPPOSEDLY, made up of mostly off-the-shelf parts with not much special engineering. At least for the PS4, I think the X360's CPU may be a bit more custom engineered.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
1394826197-steam-controller.png

guess it wasn't working out so well

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you look up the steam dev days channel on youtube there is a video on the controller. This has design has been the plan since late last year, and the video has a really good explanation as to why they went this route. From the descriptions of people who have used the current model, this looks like a decent improvement.

Szlia

I hope for them that that D-pad is a single piece of plastic masquerading as 4 buttons and not, in fact, 4 buttons.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Seriously. Why do companies keep dicking around with the D-pad? That shit was perfectly fine on the NES/SNES controller. Stop trying to update the damn thing.