SteamOS

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't see anyone suggesting it replaces Windows. I do see a lot of people hoping that relevant features of SteamOS are brought into the nix community and enable Ubuntu/Fedora/Centos etc to further replace windows.
Umm it is an OS, it replaces Windows.

How long have you been gaming? You don't remember custom Win98 installs that were streamlined for games?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Wait, are you faggots seriously arguing about whether Steam OS will replace windows or not when we've basically got full confirmation that Half Life 3 is well into development and on its way to completion?

What the hell is wrong with you guys?

HALF LIFE 3 BITCHES HALF LIFE 3

LIFE AT HALF TIMES THE 3RD POWER FUCK

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Khalid, graphics wise it's fine. HL1's gameplay is a little plain these days but HL2 should be very enjoyable.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
.53is not 3. Stay away from maths you silly biology/chem major.

Never played HL or HL2, would these games hold up right now or would the graphics just be too bad?
HL1 is dated but playable. 2 is still playable definitely. Graphics probably aren't even that bad even now.

My math was off but it was off for a PURPOSE!

But yeah if you're gonna go back and play them, get them all on a steam sale at once for like super duper cheap.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Picked them all up on a steam sale a few months back or something. Just never got around to playing them. Will check HL2 out when I finish GTAV, which should be tonight I think.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I didn't get around to playing Half Life or Half Life 2 until like 2009(thanks to a decade of EQ/WoW). HL1 was pretty dated, but HL2 was still great, definitely play HL2 and it's expansions. One of the best games of the past decade for sure.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, not sure how Half Life 2 wouldn't hold up, it's pretty much the basis for every single player FPS that's been released in the past 9 years.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
HL:Source might not look to incredibly dated, but yeah, the gameplay is 15 years old. I think it would be worth a play through, if only because it's one of the best video games of all fucking time and you're a heathen if you haven't played it. Compare the gameplay in it to that of the N64 Golden Eye, which is only about a year older. It holds up extremely well in that regard.

HL2 and the Episodes should be fine. Again the gameplay is getting dated, but the graphics themselves actually hold up quite well IMO. Very clean, crisp textures help in that regard. Character models not as much.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
SteamOS isn't attempting to replicate the feature set of windows.
Yeah not too sure about that when they started adding in productivity apps into the store. It is heading that way.

Gamers will run this as their OS though. The "true" gamers. It will replace their windows install and they will have a cheap laptop for MS Word or whatever.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
If you want HL1 with better graphics, get Black Mesa, it should be even downloadable on Steam for free, it's HL1 redone in source, but I'm pretty sure they cranked up the difficulty level a bit. I think both of them still hold up really well, but I really hate 90% of modern gray/brown shooters with their linear corridors of explosions, 2 weapons and cover systems. I like to zip around and land headshots, not duck behind cover and wait for the concrete to heal up my ass.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Does "true gamer" just translate to poopsocker now? I can't be a true gamer if I don't use SteamOS full time? lol GTFO

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah not too sure about that when they started adding in productivity apps into the store. It is heading that way.

Gamers will run this as their OS though. The "true" gamers. It will replace their windows install and they will have a cheap laptop for MS Word or whatever.
It's not like it's hard to dual boot. You can setup the dual boot for Windows/Ubuntu by checking a single box in the Windows-based installer for Ubuntu. I'm sure the SteamOS installer will be the same way.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I don't see anyone suggesting it replaces Windows. I do see a lot of people hoping that relevant features of SteamOS are brought into the nix community and enable Ubuntu/Fedora/Centos etc to further replace windows.
Yeah, I'll never bother with a dual-boot on my machine. That's just too much hassle for a little extra performance. Anymore, I don't care about getting 100fps instead of 80fps in a game. But, once the Steam OS can 100% replace Windows with all the same functionality and program compatibility, I'll be happy to make the switch. Not having to pay $100 for a new version of Windows every few years will be nice.
Sorry Tuco. Hug it out brah.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Does "true gamer" just translate to poopsocker now? I can't be a true gamer if I don't use SteamOS full time? lol GTFO
Not at all, I am talking about people that have their PC for two purposes, web browsing and gaming. Those are the ones that will install SteamOS as their only OS and replace windows.