Stellaris

Grez

Molten Core Raider
If it's the AI empires, it's decent and in my opinion way better than Civ VI or some other 4X games. On the other hand if it's your own sector AI, it's downright retarded and needs to be babysat all the time.

I set core sectors to 500 and just micromanage my entire empire. Fuck the sector AI, it brings out the Imperial Commissar in me.

iu

Last edited:

Rime

<Donor>
I would recommend picking up all of the gameplay DLC (Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, Leviathans, and Apocalypse). Each adds something to the game that makes it better.

However, I am not sure I am going to be playing this much as the Apocalypse DLC really, really messed up Traditions/Ascendancy. It is so very, very slow - It is also 'impossible' to go Tall now. Previously, Traditions went up based on colonies/population. Now it is based more on territory.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I would recommend picking up all of the gameplay DLC (Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, Leviathans, and Apocalypse). Each adds something to the game that makes it better.

However, I am not sure I am going to be playing this much as the Apocalypse DLC really, really messed up Traditions/Ascendancy. It is so very, very slow - It is also 'impossible' to go Tall now. Previously, Traditions went up based on colonies/population. Now it is based more on territory.

Wouldnt basing it on "territory only" make tall gameplay even more attractive? The fewer star systems you control, the cheaper the traditions?

khorum

Murder Apologist
I've gotten all the dlc's so I don't have a lot of context versus vanilla, but I can say I usually DO try to scoop up one or more of the leviathans tho. The fortress tech is usually pretty killer.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
bunch of sales on them right now until 2/26

probably wont see a better deal for a long time

upload_2018-2-24_4-18-45.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Wouldnt basing it on "territory only" make tall gameplay even more attractive? The fewer star systems you control, the cheaper the traditions?

Under the old system, where you plop down a base and it gets you 3+ star systems, yes. But in the new one, EACH star system needs it's own individual base and each individual base increases the traditions cost.

With the change to ship stacking (Each stack can only be so large, based off of admiral level - Plus Naval Capacity is more strongly tied to population and number of starbases), you have to colonize outwards or you are going to die forever to 800 strength pirate/random monster stacks.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's definitely a different game. It's suspicious that they didnt discuss slowing down the early game so much, which is the first and biggest change veteran players will experience.

I enjoy it, but not at the cost of forcing the starlane-only border creep on everyone.

Rime

<Donor>
Going to agree that they really messed this up. Everything is so slow. I am getting repeating tech and my fleet cap is around 500. Which lets me field three fleets of 38k and one of 15k. But enemy empires all seem to have 8-10 fleets of 20k... Which makes every battle one of attrition. And it is so slow to respond to anything in the galaxy due to hyperlanes.

Look at the Steam ratings. People HATE this update. Probably the worst ratings the game has ever been given.

Rime

<Donor>
Nevermind. I doubt I am going to finish this game. Hyperlanes make responding to enemy attacks way, way too difficult/bothersome to play.

You can research Jump Drives (Dangerous Tech, blah blah blah) late in the game. But they have a 120 Day cool down and while it is on cool down, you have -50% damage and movement, meaning that the only reason to use it (to emergency jump to defend an area) is nerfed into the dirt.

Not to even start on it now requiring influence to start a fight and the fact that war exhaustion means they can force you to a white peace at any time if the fight drags on long enough (which it will, due to Hyperlanes being so slow + a fully upgraded Starbase being 30k+ strength), even if you are winning.

You can build Gateways, but they require a hefty (not by the time you get them) resource investment, but they take a very long time to build.

Last edited:

Grez

Molten Core Raider
It's going to need a lot of tweaking, but I think they're on the right track.

Ground combat is still dumb. They should just adopt Endless Space's ground combat system where you position a fleet of a certain minimum strength over a planet and, over time, depending on bonuses and fleet strength, the planet is slowly conquered. So it might take years, which makes sense, imo.

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Under the old system, where you plop down a base and it gets you 3+ star systems, yes. But in the new one, EACH star system needs it's own individual base and each individual base increases the traditions cost.

With the change to ship stacking (Each stack can only be so large, based off of admiral level - Plus Naval Capacity is more strongly tied to population and number of starbases), you have to colonize outwards or you are going to die forever to 800 strength pirate/random monster stacks.

I see now what you mean, ive been playing the base version until now

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm kinda warming to it. The hyperlane thing I thought was pretty blah. But its not too bad early b/c your empire is small, jump drives cut out a large part of it, and gateways finish it off (as a problem).

Havent really played this in a year or so, learning it all again and giving myself a break from They are Billions.

Having an issue where I took the Colossus perk, and now I cant claim planets? What the fuck is this nonsense . . . is there a way around this or did I fuck myself taking that ascendancy?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah it's definitely a new game so it took some getting used to the new ideas in place. I'm pretty close to winning with my first new game, but I can see where all the old assumptions are either obsolete or dramatically changed.

The slower pacing goes waaay beyond the early game. If anything Cherryh smooths out the pacing by making the early game as ponderous as mid- and end-game. It's a legit gripe if you play militaristic/exterminator races like I did this run. You can't expect to rush and steal tech to bypass the early development like you would before.

I have a feeling xenophile/pacifist builds are going to be much stronger in 2.0 too, the new pace rewards organic/migration growth.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The war exhaustion mechanic is complete garbage. The losing side being able to dictate terms of surrender even when suffering massive tactical and strategic losses is infuriating. Luckily it looks like they are rolling back the idea of all wars ending arbitrarily for the winning side.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah it's definitely a new game so it took some getting used to the new ideas in place. I'm pretty close to winning with my first new game, but I can see where all the old assumptions are either obsolete or dramatically changed.

The slower pacing goes waaay beyond the early game. If anything Cherryh smooths out the pacing by making the early game as ponderous as mid- and end-game. It's a legit gripe if you play militaristic/exterminator races like I did this run. You can't expect to rush and steal tech to bypass the early development like you would before.

I have a feeling xenophile/pacifist builds are going to be much stronger in 2.0 too, the new pace rewards organic/migration growth.
So a simulator for modern day Europe? ;)

Did the tutorial get updated/changed at all for the new changes? I'd spent 30mins in tutorial pre patch so if changed should be ok to start fresh without knowing how it "used" to be.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
The war exhaustion mechanic is complete garbage. The losing side being able to dictate terms of surrender even when suffering massive tactical and strategic losses is infuriating. Luckily it looks like they are rolling back the idea of all wars ending arbitrarily for the winning side.

While not ending the war is nice, that penalty is very harsh.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Im about halfway through the game and thats very much its how panning out for me.

i actually like the slower earlier game and I generally tend to avoid war until mid game, mostly because early war can be pretty debilitating on ironman if you fuck up just once and also because Stellaris war in general is one of its weakest and most boring aspects. This new pacing works really well for me. i feel like it makes diplomacy much more viable too

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
May give it another try when the War Exhaustion change comes in. But it does not change how incredibly slow the early game is and how unbalanced some of the events/factions are (Hi Great Khan!).