Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Apocalypse just released to Steam

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Not sure if it is delirious with the flu, but this really, really feels like a 'whole new game'.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I have to wait until next payday to get it, bah. At least I get to play with the changes, minus the new ships and whatnot until then.

So, what's the verdict with the purchased version vs. just the update?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Is there any DLC worth getting besides Utopia?

Dioblaire Dioblaire

Thats kinda what I'm trying to figure out. Played the base version for a long while, and Utopia looks like the only DLC with real content. The others look like skins, some races, etc. But nothing of real merit.

Last edited:

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Leviathan is the other DLC with some content iirc. Not as big as Utopia, but it adds some new encounters, independant stations you can interact with and I think FE fighting each other as a possibilty.

I think it is worth it when it is on sale. Gives you more to do in mid game.

faille

Molten Core Raider
synthetic dawn has a lot of stuff to do with robots and synths which is interesting

• 1Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
What the fuck, forced starlanes?

Spent a few hours playing around with all the DLCs . . . not sure if I like the forced starlanes thing or not . .

Its the single reason I never picked up the recent MOO game

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Grez

Molten Core Raider

Spent a few hours playing around with all the DLCs . . . not sure if I like the forced starlanes thing or not . .

There are jump drives and stuff that you can unlock later.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I havnt looked but I bet a mod was made to enable old wormholes/warp about 5 minutes after this dlc came out.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Spent a few hours playing it, and still not sure how I like it.

It's been a while since I played this. So prolly take a few weekends to get adjusted to all the changes etc.

Damn mercs were breaking my balls.

Rime

<Donor>
Game is much, much slower early with forced Hyperlanes. There is a toggle to speed up tech advancement in the game set-up at the start of a campaign, but I have not fiddled with it yet.

Got the 'Rise of the Machines' achievement (remove all biological entities from the game) just by starting a game. Turns out, the other four empires were all robots as well. GG Random AI.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Looking forward to play robots or swarm again. Genociding my way through the galaxy is just my cup of tea.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Drat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looking at purchasing the game. It looks like from the post above I should consider Utopia and Leviathans or just get the discounted bundle.
Would it be best to pick up Apocalypse straight away too?

How good is the AI in this game?

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
How good is the AI in this game?

If it's the AI empires, it's decent and in my opinion way better than Civ VI or some other 4X games. On the other hand if it's your own sector AI, it's downright retarded and needs to be babysat all the time. Forcing hyperlanes removed some of the silly jumping around all over the place trying to catch their fleets part, especially now that you have to travel inside the systems to the other edge. But like someone said, it also slowed down travelling by a lot. Even thought I had a lucky gateway that went from one end of my empire to the other, when a Fallen Empire declared a humiliation war (I turned into perfect machines and they were holy guardians), they took 5 systems before I got my fleets there to meet them. It was kind of silly also that I had 4 fleets of 32-40k power with 5-6star admirals and the galactic contender tradition thing and lost 33% of my ships to a 99k fleet that lost only 3 ships but fled when their power was at 50k, all because of the new running away during the fight thing (of course they had tech edge but only a tier or two). Thought I could take them on because I had just kicked the khan's ass (the new mid game crisis, they stood no chance).

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The AI in this gets very predictable once youve learned what to look for. They seem to be coded around triggers, once you pop one the AI has an immediate response based on that trigger and their government.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Not enjoying the update at all.

They've slowed the early game down to a crawl, if you get no space minerals in your close systems you're just completely fucked because the mineral sinks are enormous now.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I like it.
The early game does feel a bit slow. They should probably make a few early game purchases drastically cheaper for your first few buys to help things at just the very beginning. ATM some early game randomness can have significant long term consequences.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Is it worth getting Utopia, Leviathans or Synthetic Dawn at this point? Or should I just skip straight to Apocalypse?

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I picked up Utopia and Syn. Dawn in Dec. I like them both. Especially making a homicidal robot race.

I skipped Leviathans, though. Didn't really feel necessary.