Stellaris

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just played a 7 hour game, got my ass handed to me. But I learned a lot. Starting another tomorrow! I'm looking at the long-lived trait and thinking that might be worth getting, damn. Not only do you have really experienced guys, but you aren't wasting influence left and right replacing them when they die. Def going to try that next game.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I've been taking my second whack at this slower and more methodical. I didn't end up pushed right up against a superior enemy from the start like I did with the previous game, which helps.

To maybe give an idea of what's so neat about this game, I just marched a huge mob of ships and three ground armies into an unclaimed sector which had a planet with a small population of iron age aliens on it. Did I mention my race is some weird hydra mollusk thing? Anyway, I bombarded these spear chucking retards into submission and conquered them, now I'm slowly bringing them up to speed with my species, developing their planet as if it were my own, and incorporating this alien species into my nascent empire.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its great. I did the same thing again later, but I enslaved the entire species on that planet because they were pacifists and fuck that noise. Fucking pussies.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've tried playing Crusader Kings II in the past, but that shit is just hard and so tedious. This game is much easier to get in to.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it...but I will say I ended up staying up until 3 AM last night, engaged in a war with a neighboring faction. Time just flew by, and I couldn't bring myself to get off before the conflict was resolved.

I am concerned for the replayability, but I think that will be fixed to some extent with expansions and mods.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah it has a lot of flavor like that which makes it very appealing in a Dwarf Fortressy/create your own silly stories about shit that happened in the game sort of way.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
How easy is it to get into this game? I have very little experience in this genre, pretty much only:

actraiser 1
Black and white
fallen enchantress, which i really liked
civilization 5, which I tried to play but was really overwhelmed and gave it up before I finished one full game.

Will I be too dumb to play this game?

Rime

<Donor>
How easy is it to get into this game? I have very little experience in this genre, pretty much only:

actraiser 1
Black and white
fallen enchantress, which i really liked
civilization 5, which I tried to play but was really overwhelmed and gave it up before I finished one full game.

Will I be too dumb to play this game?
The learning curve is not huge, but there certainly is one. Considering how SLOWLY you research at the start of the game (and how it is random what you can research), bad luck or ignorance can hamper you.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Game is awesome. One thing I love is how they actually have multiple types of weapons in each of the three paths. Granted it is not the ridiculous breadth of weapons Sword of the Stars 2 had, but it is way better than Gal Civ's Laser 1 to 10, Missle 1 to 10, etc. I also like how point defense is actually something that requires a weapon slot to equip and actively shoots down missles instead of just being a passive resistance to missle damage number (again, Gal Civ).

I went Ballistics for this first game I am playing, and in addition to the standard Mass Driver to Rail Gun line, I also have a couple of levels of autocannons (shorter range, less accuracy, higher overall dps), the aforementioned point defense weapons (including a pretty sweet Flak Gun I just unlocked which is Large slot only but has better accuracy, longer range and higher damage than the standard PD line) plus another one that I saw but didn't research. While the combat is still very Paradox in that you throw your doom stack at the enemies doom stack and see whose is better, the mechanics behind the combat and what is going on is infinitely more transparent in this title. Both from the more detailed battle screen and from the pewpew lasers actively frying ships. I was worried as combat in their games is usually a few behind the scenes dice rolls and some other less than obvious mitigating factors but they absolutely nailed it. Also appreciation for the different space menaces giving you weapons tech options when you kill them (Void Cloud lightning and Crystalline Entity shard throwers, mining lasers).

And of course it has the good old Paradox make your own story element. While lacking in the fantastic absurdity of CK2 random character events, it is still really fun. I am still in my first game and essentially have become a hanger on to the now strongest empire. I started in a medium elliptical with 11 races. I got put in the galactic north east, closer to the center than the rim. Flanking me to the north east and east was two fallen empires who went right to the edge of the galaxy, so no go there. To my south was a dick head xenophobe who got the advanced start benefit that I chose for two random races, so no expansion there either. To my west was a guy I was about equal with who had another empire just to his west. The obvious plan was to make friends with his rival to the west and pincer him, expand from there. Unfortunately they went to war before I was ready and my neighbor won handily and became larger than I could now handle, with the other empire reduced to just his home system and a single frontier outpost. So I decided to become an enabler. Set up an embassy, research agreement, nonagression pact, rivalled my neighbor's rivals, everything to get in an alliance with him. And from there...we started to conquer. We now have almost the entire northern half of the map between our actual empires and vassals (plus those fallen empires on the rim). Next stop, galactic south. The AI is smart enough that all the warring empires to the south actually got over their problems and formed a federation to oppose us after we slapped one of them around a bit. That's pretty awesome, I love smart AI.

Game will only get better with expansions.

Taho

N00b
Downloaded this morning and went in blind. First game very early on, some rebels spawned in my home system (for a quest called The Fellowship I think). The rebel fleet is doing damage to a mining station of mine, so I recruit an admiral for my starter fleet and send them in that direction. They engage in battle and lose... lol. Not sure what was the best course of action. If i waited to try to build a bigger fleet, I would have lost stations. I didn't expect that so early in the tutorial. I guess I should have been patient and sacrificed the mining station, but the tutorial wasn't very specific about what to do with the rebels. Maybe I was supposed to just let them chill. Oh well, restart. Anyone else get this Fellowship quest early on? How did you react to it?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You just need like two or three more ships than they have to kill them basically. Losing a mining station or two isn't a big deal either, necessarily. They aren't too expensive to replace.

But yeah, just buff up your initial army by 2-3 ships at the start and you'll have that covered.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I seem to self destruct or get rolled by anther civilization well before I have 5 systems, haha.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My thoughts are we have 20 different reviews from many different review sites, but for some reason, IGN gives a non triple A strategy game a 6.3 and that's the review everyone gives a shit about. Sorry, just irritated by the 4chan regurgitation of the 6.3 over and over again while Destructoid gave the game a 90, and at least two other IGN sites gave it better scores than a 6.3.

The AI wiped out my first empire, and I'm playing on normal difficulty. I attacked them first, but they declared war on me first.

The lack of action in mid game is directly related to how you design the game to play yourself, meaning that you can choose to make a large universe with fewer competitors, which means there will be lots of room for growth and not a lot of action until you start butting up against other empires. You can also make a smaller universe with many competitors and be fighting for every system you can grab.

The game is so customizable that the problem is with the reviewer, imo, not the game. You can literally build a game where every one of your competitors is the Nazi war machine, or Ghandi's fanatically pacifist children, or you can mix the two. How you construct the variables setting up the game will alter your experience fairly significantly, imo.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
IGN is notorious for giving triple A games high marks and all other games lower marks. It's literally their M.O. so I don't see why anyone would be surprised at this point. Their reviews haven't had weight in years.

I played an hour or so last night and enjoyed it, having never played a 4X before. Although supposedly this isn't a full on 4X or Grand Strategy (ala CK) but somewhere in the middle. As someone who played a bunch of Civ5 it's very approachable so far.