Stellaris

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I wouldn't trust any major publication's review of a grand strategy game. They almost certainly didn't play it enough to give a well informed opinion.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Started out beset on all sides by hostile assholes. Which forced me into going down all military beneficial technologies I could get.

Once I colonized a few worlds and had some major resources in I was able to build some pretty good ships. My super long lived Space Frogs will reign supreme. Uplifting several proto-species now to join me. Luckily I am a Despotic Hegemony so they can't usurp control with their own candidates or something.

Lots of fun. Wormhole seems to be by far the best FTL method.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So how does it compare with classics like Moo2/GalCiv? I am worried it might be Sins of Solar Empire-level crap.
I like it way better than any Gal Civ I've ever played, tbh.

I never played Moo2....so yeah. I remember Sins of the Solar Empire being....okay for a playthrough with no lasting power. Its been so long I can't remember much else about it. I think this has more staying power than that.

khorum

Murder Apologist
So how does it compare with classics like Moo2/GalCiv? I am worried it might be Sins of Solar Empire-level crap.
I'm digging it quite a bit. It's basically Hearts of Iron in space...which is awesome. Not quite as much depth or complexity at CK2, but the same paradox 4x framework with a lot more abstraction.

I'd say it's close to somewhere between what stardrive 1 wanted to be and what a dumbed-down distant worlds build would be.

Rime

<Donor>
Sins of a Solar Empire was more of a combat focused 4x. This is a grand strategy 4x. You cannot control your units in combat.

Lots of mods out for it already, though most just add new races or skins. Waiting for some big Star Trek or 40k campaigns.

DLC (it is a Paradox game) will flesh things out. Probably a better Diplomacy system, maybe something bigger than Battleships.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's been too long since i played Moo2. It's better than galciv3. And I do like Galciv3. The main problem I have with galciv3 is that the game has a memory leak and crashes on large maps. The pacing on stellaris is interesting. There are for sure terraces where you struggle, then breakout, then reach capacity, the struggle again. While the mechanics of it are methodical the growth comes in bursts.

It does annoy me though. I had a atom age bird race Minor that was adapated to tundra. Well, ok, neat. There were 3 tundra worlds in my systems that I couldn't do jack shit with. So I set up an observation post and just fucking infiltrated their bird brain governments. It was altruism, it totally wasn't Manifest Destiny -- I've come across a lot of moons that were ravaged into barren rocks by nuclear war, right? But then when I finally built them a spaceport and a colony ship and took it over to the tundra world and was all "now what am I gonna name this sector? Gilded Cage?" but... "Does not have TUNDRA settlement".

THE FUCK YOU SAY, GAME? THAT SHIP IS FULL OF NOTHING BUT TUNDRABIRDS. IT ASKED ME TO PICK THE RACE WHEN I CREATED IT.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Sins of a Solar Empire was more of a combat focused 4x. This is a grand strategy 4x. You cannot control your units in combat.

Lots of mods out for it already, though most just add new races or skins. Waiting for some big Star Trek or 40k campaigns.

DLC (it is a Paradox game) will flesh things out. Probably a better Diplomacy system, maybe something bigger than Battleships.
Stellaris already has a Warhammer 40K mod | PC Gamer

There's already a working 40k mod pack. Dunno how many races it includes.

khorum

Murder Apologist
They need to mod Endless Space's UI into this game actually.

The stock UI is clunky.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
They need to mod Endless Space's UI into this game actually.

The stock UI is clunky.
Buh? Granted I haven't played Endless Space, but the UI here seems super intuitive to me. The only thing I have had trouble with was re-finding the recruiting panel. Everything flows way better than Civ5 but Civ5 wasn't the best UI either so maybe I just don't know any better.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I like this game's UI. It isn't perfect, there are certainly things to complain about. My biggest complaint is there should be a cyclable "Inhabitable Planets" list for all uncolonized, inhabitable planets in your held space.

At the same time, I barely played Endless Space so I can't recall what its UI is like at all, so it very well could be better. I dunno.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea you can't cycle through them but if you just zoom out to the galaxy map all the systems with those types of planets will at least have a symbol on them.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah its not like theres no way to tell, but a cyclable list would be super convenient is all.

1st world problems

Taho

N00b
I have a couple noob questions if anyone feels like sharing. This mostly concerns early game.

1. Do you put mining and research stations on everything you can or just the ones with the bigger yields? Seems like early on, building a station on a +2 energy isn't the best use of resources since you are only netting 1 energy.
2. Does it make sense to colonize more than one planet in a system if you have other options? I'm guessing not unless that is your only option.
3. Do you go frontier outpost or colony ship first? I think I made a mistake by going Outpost first. Now if I settle there, that outpost is wasted.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
As far as 2 goes, I would try to prioritize spreading your borders first for sure, but if there's a planet in the same system with great potential resources then no harm in grabbing it. Lot easier to protect too obviously.

For 3, I don't know what the accepted strategy is (if there is one), but while I was waiting for my colony ship tech to finish I built an outpost somewhere farther away from anything I could colonize that gave me a decent chunk of research to sit on. Don't build an outpost anywhere you plan to colonize, unless scrapping outposts gets most of the resources back? (I hadn't thought to check this)

khorum

Murder Apologist
I have a couple noob questions if anyone feels like sharing. This mostly concerns early game.

1. Do you put mining and research stations on everything you can or just the ones with the bigger yields? Seems like early on, building a station on a +2 energy isn't the best use of resources since you are only netting 1 energy.
2. Does it make sense to colonize more than one planet in a system if you have other options? I'm guessing not unless that is your only option.
3. Do you go frontier outpost or colony ship first? I think I made a mistake by going Outpost first. Now if I settle there, that outpost is wasted.

Early on I kinda wait till some government gets voted in with a mandate for a certain type of station to be built since the influence reward is pretty big early game.

IF you have a choice between expanding your border or grabbing a plush planet in a SECURED system, go expand your border.

I've rarely found the influence cost of outposts worth it unless you want to embiggen your borders around a plum system or systems.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Elsewhere someone said scrapping outposts reclaims some of the influence.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah its not like theres no way to tell, but a cyclable list would be super convenient is all.

1st world problems
It would be nice. I've had a few times where I took about 10 minutes just clicking around the map comparing worlds.

It would also be nice, something with leaders. The Planetary Governor screens are mixed up a little. It's harder than it should be to recall one and appoint a new one.

1st world problems... we're talking about 2 extra clicks. But at the same time, you hit the governor screen and maybe it should go directly to the appoint/confirm screen rather than having to go into the other menu. It's annoying because one screen shows their personal traits while the other one doesn't. But it really is pretty minor.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

1. I've just been throwing them everywhere but it probably is smarter to target the early ones to the places where they'll give you biggest bang for your buck
2. Definitely does not right now. I do have a region in my game with three colonized planets. That is a separate sector so it doesn't count towards my planet cap, and one of the planets was the one I enslaved, so I thought it would be smart to build up my racial populations on the other two planets in the region just in case there was a rebellion or something. That never panned out but that was my thinking.
3. Colony ships for sure. Outposts suck up your limited resource pool for whatever that blue thingy is that you accrue very slowly and cannot increase without engaging in like diplomacy and shit.

I've rarely found the influence cost of outposts worth it unless you want to embiggen your borders around a plum system or systems.
This is true early on, but later it can be worth it to link up sectors that are separated by just a single region or things to that effect, and the influence impact isn't too bad by then.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well shit you can survey entire areas by holding shift and clicking the different solar systems.