Stellaris

khorum

Murder Apologist
Battleship
Corvette
Destroyer
Cruiser

Cruiser CAN be fitted out to tank but if you're not building them for speed why bother building them at all.

And speed is hellaciously good right now.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
im struggling to remember if cruisers and destroyers have any class specific buffs now like they had in previous expansions.

or are they totally just worthless now by the time you research battleship?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Cruisers with two tier-2 afterburners are just as fast as a destroyer with one afterburner (speed 221). With a fast admiral nd 2+ system sighting it is almost impossible to catch a fleet of them with battleships... so you can destroy anchorages (fleet cap) or shipyards or pull their main fleets away from the front then run away.

The AI generally builds planetary fortresses for jump interdiction so you'd either need to preposition them before the war or crack a choke point early to get them past.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
There is no point to Cruisers, sure you can run away from Battleships but the torpedo Corvettes will run you down and murder you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Also, and apologies if you already know this, but battle computers in 2.0 need to be micromanaged extensively. The Battle computer dictates how your ships will operate/move in combat. This is especially important for Destroyers and Cruisers, since depending on what weapon size you use, you either want your ships to get into close range or stay back and play the artillery role.

Late game combat computers also provide a pretty substantial buff depending on which one you choose. For example, picking Swarm vs Picket on a Corvette can be the difference between significant evasion (iirc 15-20% on psi computers) to significant accuracy bonus (like 40% tracking i think?). Also, I like to prioritize those computers early because the base computer each hull gets is pretty bad.

And totally agree with Khorum's ranking on ships. Cruisers right now are pretty awful to use and only have 1 function - to move quickly with afterburners and Corvettes as a first responder fleet.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
There is no point to Cruisers, sure you can run away from Battleships but the torpedo Corvettes will run you down and murder you.
Havent actually seen the AI field a all-torpedo corvette fleet, but yeah, they'd certainly fuck up speed-fitted cruisers. But then again, just about everything else will.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Is a static defense only empire viable? • r/Stellaris
TheTerriblenessAnarcho-Tribalism 7 points 2 days ago

Starbases cap out at about 80-90k. Most won't go much higher than 50k. It already a confirmed viable strategy until the very late game where you need to build ships and start using your naval capcity.

An empire of only static defenses forever is probably doomed to lose to a crisis, but a static defense focused empire is quite strong.

Wonder whats better cost-wise till late game

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Interesting, still, even if I were to go for a static defence heavy setup, I'd still like to have ships to go kill pirates and space monsters, both to open up space for surveying and the research bonuses.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I had a nice choke point on the south border of my last game. Even was the gargantua system with the best result. Built a massive space fortress there and it was enough to hold off all three of the empires bordering me there from invading.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I had a nice choke point on the south border of my last game. Even was the gargantua system with the best result. Built a massive space fortress there and it was enough to hold off all three of the empires bordering me there from invading.
Yeah once you’ve got them upgraded with three ion beam platforms and all the passives they can do a good job holding their own until a fleet can crawl there.

I get the logic of putting the bulk of the starbase upkeep costs on the platforms actually. Late game you’re gonna need dozens of citadels fitted purely with anchorages for fleet cap to counter the crises. The crises themselves could use tweaking too.... the contingency and unbidden fleets are ridiculously fast for their weight.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Three ions best for star bases? Usually drop one on at the last set of slots, never looked into the efficiency of the vs the regular things.

Hell, I won two games before I realized the "auto best" ships weren't equipping my missiles rank 5 but instead were outfitted with whatever the starter lasers were. "Oh, well that explains why I need a 60k fleet to fight a 20k fleet".

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh yeah never use the auto-designs lol. The targetting computer slot should prolly be relabeled “ship role computer” or something, since it governs that design’s behavior in battle...you want to optimize the ship’s behavior with its loadout...standoff weapons should be artillery, high-evasion for fast ships etc.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Yeah ... Didn't know that either. Figured it was just more accuracy / evasion.

Since I started rigging up my own designs, the game got a lot easier. Lol

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yeah once you’ve got them upgraded with three ion beam platforms and all the passives they can do a good job holding their own until a fleet can crawl there.

I get the logic of putting the bulk of the starbase upkeep costs on the platforms actually. Late game you’re gonna need dozens of citadels fitted purely with anchorages for fleet cap to counter the crises. The crises themselves could use tweaking too.... the contingency and unbidden fleets are ridiculously fast for their weight.

I don't remember the exact number, but I manages to keep that single station strong enough that it could actually defeat their navies by itself through mid game. It was a gigantic energy sink to get it there, but its strategic importance was just too important to effectively lock off one half of my empire from invasion.

You can actually make starbases impressively strong if you can pay the price for all those platforms. I just kept upgrading it as I saw their fleets grow. My enemies kept hovering at the boarder but eventually just went to war with each other.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah ... Didn't know that either. Figured it was just more accuracy / evasion.

Since I started rigging up my own designs, the game got a lot easier. Lol
Yeah you can design a fleet that can wipe out an opposing fleet 3x its size with the right load outs. If they have lots of corvettes, go for high rate of fire, high tracking weapons. Lots of point defense for missiles etc. PD and flak stacking can pretty much shut down a missile-based fleet for a fraction for the cost.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The steam post is pretty bad. The testing seems to anecdotally agree with my gameplay. I tend to run a heavy fleet in a strategic position while having a guerilla fleet of corvettes and destroyers for raiding and disrupting and being ready to help my bs fleet when it gets somewhere. Seems small ships are generally better, but having a fleet of heavy hitters makes sense for some situations and engagements, or in a more defensive situation.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well the beta 2.0.2 patch raises the max number of titans from 3 to 20.... so lategame fleets will be even slower and vulnerable to fast fleet shenanigans.