Stellaris

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yea, I feel like something needs to be done to help big ships vs little ones. Even something simple like a high upfront cost with a relatively lower maintenance per power might make up a lot. From a rp perspective I feel the need to always have a big guns fleet, but generally it's a dumb as fuck idea. I'll probably play my next game as a gestalt consciousness and build nothing but corvettes to see how easy life is.

I really wanna try an energy focused race to see how much better that is as well.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I feel like something needs to be done to help big ships vs little ones. Even something simple like a high upfront cost with a relatively lower maintenance per power might make up a lot. From a rp perspective I feel the need to always have a big guns fleet, but generally it's a dumb as fuck idea. I'll probably play my next game as a gestalt consciousness and build nothing but corvettes to see how easy life is.

Battleships already have a strong position in that they suffer vastly lower casualties than corvettes against any non-trivial opposition - their extra health means they are more likely to jump out than be destroyed, so you get them back at end of combat.

They are also waaay better for assaulting starbases because they outrange everything but ion cannons and can destroy them without even being fired at.

I usually keep at least one heavy fleet and a bunch of corvette only fleets - you kind of have to if you have a large empire, if you get some prick invading at the other end of the empire while you are at war it will take 10 years for a battleship fleet to get there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
I don't see a lot of value in a fleet that is forced off the field but "wins" the casualty metric. A retreating fleet is gone for a long time and while it's gone you're not repairing it, you're not using that fleet capacity. If you're a big empire with no gateway/wormhole stuff yet, then it can reappear massively out of position as well - to the point that you might as well just scrap it.

I'm getting to the point where I'm blitzing over people so fast in 2.0 that their fleeing ships are reappearing behind my lines because it takes so long for them to come back onto the board.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I really wanna try an energy focused race to see how much better that is as well.
You gotta play Exalted Priesthood + Corporate Dominion. Building Trading Hubs and Offworld Trading Company is so good. Then you can televangelize the Galaxy!

velk

Trakanon Raider
I don't see a lot of value in a fleet that is forced off the field but "wins" the casualty metric. A retreating fleet is gone for a long time and while it's gone you're not repairing it, you're not using that fleet capacity. If you're a big empire with no gateway/wormhole stuff yet, then it can reappear massively out of position as well - to the point that you might as well just scrap it.

There's some advantages, like ship experience, but that situation wasn't what I meant - for ships that ftl out, if you win the battle they just pop straight back up in the fleet. Obviously it's better to win with corvettes than lose with battleships, but a win with 50% casualties to corvettes is going to be pretty close to a permanent 50% casualties, where 50% casualties to battleships is often much lower afterwards.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I played through a devouring swarm game where I played with absolutely nothing but autocannon corvettes.
Ran everything the fuck over. All the fallen empires slaughtered before they woke, great khan also got run the fuck over. Your ability to rampage around fast is just silly.

That said, titans are surprisingly fucking fast. Next game I'm going to be a deviant race of federation builders. I'm gonna go diversity as fuck, ignore military other than starbases and see how long I can survive before I get europed.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Grez

Trakanon Raider
I played through a devouring swarm game where I played with absolutely nothing but autocannon corvettes.
Ran everything the fuck over. All the fallen empires slaughtered before they woke, great khan also got run the fuck over. Your ability to rampage around fast is just silly.

That said, titans are surprisingly fucking fast. Next game I'm going to be a deviant race of federation builders. I'm gonna go diversity as fuck, ignore military other than starbases and see how long I can survive before I get europed.

Pure autocannon corvettes or autocannon+torp corvettes?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So, no other military ship types? Just load up on autocannons and afterburners? Did you go over your ship force limit?

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So, no other military ship types? Just load up on autocannons and afterburners? Did you go over your ship force limit?

No other ship type, most of the game I was below capacity, sometimes by a lot. The worst thing about the build was the fact that clicking the corvette build button hundreds of times was annoying.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
No other ship type, most of the game I was below capacity, sometimes by a lot. The worst thing about the build was the fact that clicking the corvette build button hundreds of times was annoying.
Why wouldnt you just reuse an existing fleet comp for each new fleet and hit the replenish button?

But yeah, I used a mix of corvettes with picket/swarm/artillery AI for most of my exterminator build. I think it only really works because the AI is NOT aggressive at all, even at the highest aggressiveness and very hard difficulty.

Really no idea why either. The crises and the khans absolutely play aggressively enough.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Why wouldnt you just reuse an existing fleet comp for each new fleet and hit the replenish button?

But yeah, I used a mix of corvettes with picket/swarm/artillery AI for most of my exterminator build. I think it only really works because the AI is NOT aggressive at all, even at the highest aggressiveness and very hard difficulty.

Really no idea why either. The crises and the khans absolutely play aggressively enough.

Probably should have set that up but honestly no idea how it works and merging fleets always caused the default replenishment button to go away. I had one admiral that got the three best sub light speed traits an was constantly making sure his fleet was best, while leaving other corvettes to bitch bombardment duty.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
played yesterday for a while, can confirm that pure autocannon corvettes just chew through everything

also first time playing as machine empire, and that felt extremely overpowered. without a food component (more space for mines, plants and labs), without a happiness/unrest component, leaders that are eternal and a whole bunch of other perks (frequent robot mod point techs) - i won the entire game without getting into a single war with anyone, despite being negative 1000 in relations with everyone for being a "Murder Machine". the biggest advantage was that machines ignore planet conditions for colonization. doesnt matter if tomb or tropical, its always 100% habitability. am i overlooking something? why are machines so OP?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
played yesterday for a while, can confirm that pure autocannon corvettes just chew through everything

also first time playing as machine empire, and that felt extremely overpowered. without a food component (more space for mines, plants and labs), without a happiness/unrest component, leaders that are eternal and a whole bunch of other perks (frequent robot mod point techs) - i won the entire game without getting into a single war with anyone, despite being negative 1000 in relations with everyone for being a "Murder Machine". the biggest advantage was that machines ignore planet conditions for colonization. doesnt matter if tomb or tropical, its always 100% habitability. am i overlooking something? why are machines so OP?
It was the diplomatic component prior to Cherryh. My favorite build is an aggressive rogue servitor build and pre-2.0 organic empires would routinely declare war on me if I got too close. Nowadays I'm not even sure how you'd provoke an aggressive war without totally gimping your fleet and giving them every casus belli.

Technically machine civs are supposed to ramp up much slower with their slow build times and 100min cost per pop... but most players build around that anyway.

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I had the same problem with devouring swarm. Everyone and their mother would declare on you, so you had to invest a crapton in your fleet and rebuiling all the time. Now it just seems superior.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's definitely easier for machine and hivemind civs now.... but relative to pacifist expansionists and xenophiles, they're probably a little BEHIND. Fanatic pacifist/xenophobic inward perfection grew super fast compared to my go-to machine species. My last playthrough was a xenophilic/egalitarian "migration-magnet" species that took longer to ramp up but filled out super fast once you get Gaia/Orbital habs/Ringworlds.

In fact, during my xenophile playthrough, the 25x ringworlds filled up within months of colonization and some of the migrants would leave because my build speed wasnt fast enough to counter their unemployment.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
What's your guy's best traits for a machine empire playthrough? I just quit out of a 2450 game because a few things got buggy (like Enigmatic Fortress was bugged and didn't finish - worm quest also bugged out). I'm playing on 2.02 beta

velk

Trakanon Raider
For Determined Exterminators, you pretty much have to do everything yourself so I go with : Power Drills, Superconductive, Bulky ( You have to build robots everywhere anyway, by the time you want to do mass migration the cost is trivial ) and Uncanny ( everyone hates you anyway, what are they going to do ? ;p ). That leaves you 1 point and 1 pick, so when you get robo modding you can add Enhanced Memory, convert your existing pop to get the leader benefit, then subspec a science race and give them logic engines.

For Driven Assimilators, it's more interesting, because you get to design two races, the machines and the cyborgs - I usually make the machines leaders/scientists so go with Logic Engines, Bulky and Custom Made ( doesn't slow you much at the start because you are using these guys only in labs, and you will run out of minerals faster than you can build them anyway ), using the first robo-mod for Enhanced Memory for those sweet high level immortal leaders.

For the cyborgs I go strong, industrious, decadent and solitary ( these two are basically free picks, cyborgs are mind controlled so ignore happiness ), and pick up the first gene mod to give them Thrifty. If they tweak the AI to be more aggressive you may want to go Thrifty first and pick up Industrious instead, but as it stands you can ignore early game energy issues by immediately scrapping your fleet, shipyard and service docks and replacing them with resource reprocessors. ( You'll probably want some ships by 2210 when pirates show up, although often you can get them for free from anomaly events anyway, and if the pirates spawn in a convenient location you can laugh at them as they get crushed by your starbase ).

You put robots in science labs and unity buildings, and have the cyborgs take over all the mining and energy production. When you pick up the neural amplifier from the Synchronicity traditions your economy basically kicks into unstoppable high gear, as your cyborgs will be producing insane outputs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trailer and preview games are coming out for the next story pack, Distant Stars.

Im happy to see them reworking how anomalies work, the core of distant stars seems kind of bleh though.