Stellaris

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
They going to fix optimization?

Game still runs like shit. Makes end game a slog

khorum

Murder Apologist
They fixed it quite a bit last patch. I've finished a few games on large and the slowdown wasn't much worse than pre-2.0. Which is prolly still bad since they were supposed to fix it in the first place.

On medium it runs great all the way through.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
fixed it quite a bit last patch. I've finished a few games on large and the slowdown wasn't much worse than pre-2.0. Which is prolly still bad since they were supposed to fix it in the first place.

On medium it runs great all the way through.

I played it a ton a year+ ago? And would get about halfway across the map before it got too slow.

Started a few games this past week, and the machine race is fucking OP. But its still dragging on large maps.

The medium one I've taken about 25% of the map and its slower* but not slow?

Figured it had more to do w/ the comp upgrade than the game getting some work.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I played it a ton a year+ ago? And would get about halfway across the map before it got too slow.

Started a few games this past week, and the machine race is fucking OP. But its still dragging on large maps.

The medium one I've taken about 25% of the map and its slower* but not slow?

Figured it had more to do w/ the comp upgrade than the game getting some work.
Definitely faster since then.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Definitely faster since then.

Finished my first ever ironman game. Medium sized, 2 difficulty settings up from whatever baseline is?

The sector changes suck ass, I miss having giant sectors doing everything w/o any input.

Aside from that, was pretty smooth.

Fucking machines are OP as fuck tho. By the time I found the stagnant race, I was caught up in tech and overwhelming vs them in econ + fleet.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Finished my first ever ironman game. Medium sized, 2 difficulty settings up from whatever baseline is?

The sector changes suck ass, I miss having giant sectors doing everything w/o any input.

Aside from that, was pretty smooth.

Fucking machines are OP as fuck tho. By the time I found the stagnant race, I was caught up in tech and overwhelming vs them in econ + fleet.

Havent played any gestalt races since megacorp actually. The megacorp playstyle works with tall builds so well that i couldnt get one going past 2300 at admiral. By the time I'd gotten one rolling the game had become unplayable so i set it aside until ancient relics came out. When I picked it back up I played through several versions of megacorp empires and they were pretty fun.

Criminal Heritage is still easily the hardest to pull off tho.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
This is a game I would love to be good. But the AI is just so bad.

Just spend the money to have google's game AI department make your game not shit, please.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Nice Brexit-themed trailer for the Federations Expansion coming out in a couple weeks:

• 2Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I cant wait. Stellaris is my go to for a lazy weekend when gf isnt home. So much content with mods.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

faille

Molten Core Raider
whats the tl;dr of what the new expansion does?

I've been out of stellaris for ages even though I really really want to like it. Too often my games end up ebing too tedious and so much of a pita to do what I want.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Oh nice new Stellaris. Let's go see if my favorite mod is updated: Steam Workshop :: Expanded Stellaris Traditions

> I plan to update it asap.

giphy.gif

> Unfortunately, it seems that have have been infected by the coronavirus. Things are still uncertain, but I have some of the symptoms and am feeling rather sick.
> Depending on how things develop I might have lots of time to work on this throughout my self-isolation. Likelier, however, I might not be able to progress the 2.6 update as previously planned.

giphy.gif

• 2Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
I cant wait. Stellaris is my go to for a lazy weekend when gf isnt home. So much content with mods.

whats the tl;dr of what the new expansion does?

I've been out of stellaris for ages even though I really really want to like it. Too often my games end up ebing too tedious and so much of a pita to do what I want.

Federations patched today.....but the biggest feature is a major pop overhaul that seems to address lategame slowdown AFTER THREE FUCKING YEARS finally.

It's early going but word from the beta was really good and PDX put up a performance comparison:

also a feature breakdown:

Doomsday origin here I come.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Finally diving into this for the first time. Spent a few hours just tinkering around with making races. Pirating it though so here's hoping the expack release isn't too buggy.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Wait for a sale if you are planning to buy it. Paradox games are silly expensive with all the DLCs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Should I be keeping my borders whole in the early game or is it OK to do outposts in choke points/prime systems that will result in gaps in my border to secure them before the AI does, provided I can fill them in a bit later.

khorum

Murder Apologist
You can but it's gonna be prohibitively expensive with influence. Every bit of influence helps early on. But if you can close off a good part of the the map with one chokepoint it might be worth it.

It's pretty provocative though, especially if your neighbors are close enough to see tasty planets behind the choke.

khorum

Murder Apologist
someone let me know how federation is after some play
Space UN is pretty hilarious. It's kinda like the real one where you pass dumbass laws that everyone has to live up to or they get sanctioned and the sanctions can get pretty creative.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You can but it's gonna be prohibitively expensive with influence. Every bit of influence helps early on. But if you can close off a good part of the the map with one chokepoint it might be worth it.

It's pretty provocative though, especially if your neighbors are close enough to see tasty planets behind the choke.

This is the current state:

Untitled.png

There's only 3 ways into my section of space and I've managed to get outposts setup in the systems to the sides, but while the idea of locking them down early feels right, I don't know enough about the game mechanics to understand exactly how this approach will playout compared to focusing closer to home.

My AI neighbour - which I'll assuredly be at war with soon due to conflicting ideologies - and I assume all other AI's grow system by system