Stellaris

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
From what I've noticed Grey Tempest mostly use strike craft. I love the L cluster, as Furry mentioned they tend to really fuck with the AIs while I'm invading the L Cluster. My current game I don't have any L-gates anywhere near me, some AI opened it and he seemed to hold them off fine but they absolutely annihilated two of his neighbours. Eventually I came in and ate them all and cleared out the L-Cluster too.

On higher difficulty the AIs are much better at dealing with crisis (at least on default crisis strength) than on lower difficulties. I've had plenty of games where AIs cleared out the L cluster, killed the unbidden, killed the khan etc.

For ship designs, I go corvettes-kinetic/shields -> destroyers-kinetic/shields -> cruisers-kinetic/shields / cruisers-hangers/shields -> battleships-hangers/shield + battleships-neutron/shields

I always keep a good bunch of corvettes in my fleets since in one of the many fun bugs/oversights in Stellaris, fleets seem to move at the speed of the fastest ship in the fleet, rather than the slowest. So your titans and battleships will move at 300+ speed if there's afterburner fit corvettes in the fleet.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I always keep a good bunch of corvettes in my fleets since in one of the many fun bugs/oversights in Stellaris, fleets seem to move at the speed of the fastest ship in the fleet, rather than the slowest. So your titans and battleships will move at 300+ speed if there's afterburner fit corvettes in the fleet.
I'm pretty sure it takes the average speed of the whole fleet.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty sure it takes the average speed of the whole fleet.
That could be the case too, and if so it must weight ships 1:1 which is why my fleets of 40 corvettes, 15 battleships and 1-2 titans move so fast, easily outspeeding enemy fleets that only have smaller ships in them.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Just to put this to bed, I just tested and Gavin is right, it averages the fleet. Example, 1 battleship+1 corvette fleet is faster than a cruiser.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Corvettes are strong, and blobs of them with a counter build can kill most leviathans and what not pretty early . Counter build and trickster admiral, with hit and run war policy. Pretty good for widdling down stronger forces that you really shouldn’t be able to beat yet.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
This is the most fleet power I've ever had. Time to invade the last awakened empire.
1621301713565.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This is the most fleet power I've ever had. Time to invade the last awakened empire.
View attachment 354371
Lmao you’ll be fine against a coalition of FEs with that. Did you become the crisis? I find my biggest threat when I get in the millions of FP is a lack of vigilance, unless I’ve cranked up crisis a lot.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I didn't use become the crisis this time, I wanted to make it more of a challenge. That perk is far too strong and makes the game too easy when you're already playing a total war civ.
And yeah that invasion of the awakened empire was very short and violent.

My biggest challenge so far this game (beyond the very first war which is always a bit touch and go) has been the fact there are so many AIs and they all have open borders with eachother. I have rolling wars against various of them which means that the AIs have about 10 points they can enter my space from, and I can't block them all. I've spent a huge amount of time each war microing fleets around to cut off invasions.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
thats fucking insane dude how you got all those ships.

Ive never even come close to that. The most Ive ever had is 37k and it was a lost game against scourge.

Im gonna try a new game tommorow.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Play become the crisis if you want to get insane fleets, being able to build ships faster, with minerals instead of alloy, and have them take almost no unkeep is nuts.
You kind of don't even need to worry about fleet cap at that point but you can always just mass anchorages too.

When you have conquered half the map you can build so many starbases that you can easily have 3k or more fleet cap.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Become the crisis is strong, probably in for a nerf. It might be balanced on a giant galaxy with a million enemy civs, but with small galaxies like I play, you are just too buff. The colossi are actually very fun/strong for them unlike real colossi, plus you get 3 free, and quickly more for basically nothing. Not only do I nuke all the enemy systems, but I nuke half of my own systems on the way to them because why the fuck not. DARK MATTER BOYY.

The concept is nicely done, but they definitely need to scale some of the stuff back a bit.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Dropping a tip, since I didn't know this myself until now and I've played a lot. Precursors are based on the object type that you scan. Habitable planets spawn Zroni, so if you do nothing but survey habitable planets you greatly increase your chance of getting them. Baol can start on any planet/moon that isn't molten or gas giant I believe, and the other precursors are random on any object. I almost never got zroni and wondered why, so looked into that.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dropping a tip, since I didn't know this myself until now and I've played a lot. Precursors are based on the object type that you scan. Habitable planets spawn Zroni, so if you do nothing but survey habitable planets you greatly increase your chance of getting them. Baol can start on any planet/moon that isn't molten or gas giant I believe, and the other precursors are random on any object. I almost never got zroni and wondered why, so looked into that.
thats seems like really terrible design

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
thats seems like really terrible design
Previous design was even more terribler for sure. At least with this you can kinda aim for a precursor. Really just wish the precursors were more balanced tbh.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That feeling when you're playing inward perfection and the great khan pops up nearby and you think it's about to get spicy. Then the galaxy declares some AI force you haven't seen on the map a crisis and you scratch your head... then you get a message about a star system being blown up and the great khan and half your neighbors get rofl stomped into the ground. I missed this empire going out of control with my lack of diplomacy. I'm in for a bad time I think. Time to act like the AI and just go for destructive guerilla warfare.

wooop.png

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Nice, it is great when the normal AI actually gets shit done and makes the game more interesting

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Another 35k fleet tempest shoal just ruined another game.

This game is punishing. There is not much room for error going into mid game with retarded fucking shit like that. 35k random fleets is a gay ass game design, no matter how good you are at the game. Fighting neighbors of equal to greater strength is fun and fulfilling, but dying to that wormhole/random invader event shit is fucking retarded.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Nice, it is great when the normal AI actually gets shit done and makes the game more interesting
I ended up losing to the galaxy blowing up. That was the scariest AI force I’ve ever faced in a lot of grand admiral games. Usually when I get to this point I’m not in much danger from the AI. I tried punching them in the low side since the war was mostly in the north. Had about 300k in 3 fleets which is reasonably good for early mid game, and production was starting to get juicy with 1k alloy a month and my mega shipyard about to come to full build. Along comes over a dozen 70k fleets and on top of it the AI seemed to be doing hit and run policy. It went back and forth with tons of engagements where few ships died on either side. When the second wave of psionics spawned I was like oh shit and sent my entire force straight for their capital. I managed to take the star base, but not the planet before war exhaustion knocked me out. Fallen empire failed too and galaxy blew up. Never had an AI go so beast mode before, maybe the changes to behavior actually improved them or I just had a fluke.

35k fleet mid game should bounce off your star bases.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user