Stellaris

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
debugtooltip also works and shows system precursors in-game. I think you can still enable debugtooltip prior to starting ironman and it will be on once the game starts.

Didn't they fix this? I never play normal any more, so I wouldn't really know for sure, but I think I heard it at some point like a year ago.

If you want to know what precursors you're going to get you can open the gamestate file from your savegame in notepad, search for the system name of systems around your homeworld, and it will tell you their precursor flags.

If you use it for the reasons I said, it can help. Like I said, you can't pick between the majority of precursors, as you are correct they have their territories and that's luck. But zroni and baol ignore those territories and have their own separate territories. If you scan only habitables you WILL get those two precursors at a much, much higher rate. Everything else is random.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I always wondered why this game looked like shit, apparently it doesn't play well with Windows DPI scaling.

Maybe now I'll actually try to learn how to play it.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is there a better way to speed up games of this?

I guess setting the end-game date lower? Even on small spiral, the galaxy map is just way too fucking big IMO and it makes eliminating the final few empires a real slog. I guess tiny galaxy, maybe?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there a better way to speed up games of this?

I guess setting the end-game date lower? Even on small spiral, the galaxy map is just way too fucking big IMO and it makes eliminating the final few empires a real slog. I guess tiny galaxy, maybe?
Paradox has said Stellaris isn't really about a victory screen. Most people just move on from a playthrough once you've broken the galaxy and there's nothing left but mopping up.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Paradox has said Stellaris isn't really about a victory screen. Most people just move on from a playthrough once you've broken the galaxy and there's nothing left but mopping up.
Eh, fair enough, but the completionist in me still finds it satisfying to see the "payoff" for your efforts.

On that note, "becoming the crisis" was really underwhelming. Played a hive-mind, devouring species where I turned every planet occupied by another species into a Tomb World, on my most recent playthrough. Currently in the mop-up stage. It's amazing how much easier shit like machines, hive, etc. are in comparison to humanoids.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Eh, fair enough, but the completionist in me still finds it satisfying to see the "payoff" for your efforts.

On that note, "becoming the crisis" was really underwhelming. Played a hive-mind, devouring species where I turned every planet occupied by another species into a Tomb World, on my most recent playthrough. Currently in the mop-up stage. It's amazing how much easier shit like machines, hive, etc. are in comparison to humanoids.
Humanoids are stronger, but take more work to be strong. Devouring swarm in particular is good and very easy to play.

Current game my galaxy is full of carebears for some reason. Almost no wars, everyone working together. We had one determined exterminator, but in early game the galactic community came together and declared them a crisis and squashed them. I've never seen the community turn on a crisis so early, and I currently have open boarders with the entire galaxy. Fast forward to mid game. Through some diplomatic wrangling, I'm now the emperor of the galaxy (with almost unanimous support) just in time for the great khan to show up. 1 year later the unbidden show up at the start of midgame? I've played a lot and I've never seen two crisis start almost simultaneously.

• 1Worf

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Stellaris Aquatics expansion releases in an hour. Biggest thing though is the performance improvements.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I haven't played this much since they did the big overhaul several years ago where planets are managed completely different now. What's the general concensus on the state of the game these days? Just curious if it would be worth another playthrough. I don't remember if I even have any of the DLC but they typically add so little that I don't think they're worth it unless they're like 80% off.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played this much since they did the big overhaul several years ago where planets are managed completely different now. What's the general concensus on the state of the game these days? Just curious if it would be worth another playthrough. I don't remember if I even have any of the DLC but they typically add so little that I don't think they're worth it unless they're like 80% off.
I’d say the game is generally headed in the right direction. They’ve made a few fumbles along the way like their pop growth change at first being mandatory, but listened to the community and provided sliders so people can get the experience they want.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Stellaris Aquatics expansion releases in an hour. Biggest thing though is the performance improvements.
Is it a free DLC? Or paid?
Paradox recently cancelled a bunch of projects and put together teams specifically to focus on DLC, updates, etc. So, game is in a pretty good state and will likely continue to improve.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Stellaris is really healthy right now and it's one of the best 4X games around. I think quite a lot of the DLC is worthwhile if you enjoy the game.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I got all of the DLC (steam keys) from wingamestore, they are perpetually on sale there.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Can only speak for the Console version, but the end game is silly in a number of ways. I do like that it ends after a specific turn (iirc) if you are just going score mode. Some of the end game crisises are bullshit, though. The biggest issue that bogs it down is the fleet micro the cpu pulls when it starts losing. This is where it being a RTS really sucks, because the mop up of any late game war ends up being a giant game of whack a mole. That being said, if you play one of the perma aggressive AI or necro factions a playthrough can go pretty damn quick.

My answer to the end game slog is generally the same. Build the planet killer and ignore any system not important/underdeveloped once the major endgame wars start. Its the midgame slog thats really impossible to avoid.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I meant engine performance lag on the PC side, not endgame play issues. The game used to slow down quite a bit on large/huge empires even on my PC. It was greatly improved in Federations, then improved a bit more in a later patch, was curious if it was substantially better with Aquatics.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Was testing out the new AI. Noticing some small but nice changes. If you invade someone and they're losing, they'll camp their armies on the planet instead of losing them in space. AI was squabbling against me, despite me being a generally benevolent Emperor. When a FE awoke and attacked one of the children of my galactic republic and I wiped it out in under a year, the next measure to come up for a vote received a lot more support. Dunno if that was coincidence or not.

wooop.png