Stomping Lands - Dinosaur survival mmo

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
While I don't think Steam should be accountable for cases like this, perhaps they could have a better vetting process where a game has to be close to completion before being allowed to be an early access title.
I think it's high time someone pointed out that Steam Greenlight is a massive failure.

It's basically the Amazon school of though for books, applied to games. The idea that editors/distributors aren't needed, and foist off their most useful job (vetting professional productions/manuscripts; investing in potential new ventures/authors) onto the customers. Well, it turns out that the customers aren't very good at figuring out if a potential game pitch reflects a game that goes to completion. Customers in general lack the experience of evaluating game and teams, lack the information about the team's apparent ability to produce, etc. So they fail at picking games, except that Valve doesn't fully care since they didn't lose any money on it. The only risk they run is if people get really pissed at too many failed Greenlight Early Access and drop Steam as a platform. Which, given their Amazon-level grip on the digital distribution is increasingly difficult to do.

Except that, with Amazon, at least you know there's a book to download on your kindle. With Greenlight/Early Access, you're paying for the outline of a book on the promise of delivery of the book. There's a reason book editors allow only pitches of books from established authors that haven proven they deliver actual books with a minimum quality.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it's high time someone pointed out that Steam Greenlight is a massive failure.

It's basically the Amazon school of though for books, applied to games. The idea that editors/distributors aren't needed, and foist off their most useful job (vetting professional productions/manuscripts; investing in potential new ventures/authors) onto the customers. Well, it turns out that the customers aren't very good at figuring out if a potential game pitch reflects a game that goes to completion. Customers in general lack the experience of evaluating game and teams, lack the information about the team's apparent ability to produce, etc. So they fail at picking games, except that Valve doesn't fully care since they didn't lose any money on it. The only risk they run is if people get really pissed at too many failed Greenlight Early Access and drop Steam as a platform. Which, given their Amazon-level grip on the digital distribution is increasingly difficult to do.

Except that, with Amazon, at least you know there's a book to download on your kindle. With Greenlight/Early Access, you're paying for the outline of a book on the promise of delivery of the book. There's a reason book editors allow only pitches of books from established authors that haven proven they deliver actual books with a minimum quality.
Sorry, but since people consider intelligent and a great feature to receive their games in chunks (shitty DLCs) and are happy to fork 60 for 10-12 hours of entertainment, plus now they are also gullible enough to pay for unfinished products... well, they should just suck it up and write it in the "lessons learned" category. Still doesn't mean that retailers should ignore all the potential scams, but I don't think it's Steam's fault in the end.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
oh god... i went on my cousins steam account and he has this im so tempted to install it and try.... anyone playing?

I dont get the neg associated with this post, what am i not reading?