Story of Overwatch and Fall of Titan - Blizzard semi documentary

spronk

FPS noob
Thought many in here would find this interesting, 3 part interview by Gamestop of Blizzard folks. Goes into Titan and how it turned into Overwatch

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Watched it and still no answers on what exactly Titan is. Lot of vague bullshit without any real details. I am hoping they spill the beans in the other upcoming 2 parts but they seem to still be avoiding what people want to know. It's a fluff piece for Overwatch.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think to some extent they did not know what titan was and that is why eventually they scrapped their large plans and made overwatch out of the remains.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I dont think so? he just neglected to mention them saying he was more of a FPS background.

Neat little mini documentary though. Literally no information on the actual project though lol

norp

Bronze Squire
Totally agree that this is a fluff piece for Overwatch and even Blizzard as a whole. I feel they over the last 5-6 years Blizzard has lost a lot of the good will it built with the community. The whole Titan story is very interesting though, hopefully they do elaborate more on what happened with it.

Column_sl

shitlord
I seriously doubt it. They pretty much told you why it failed in that first part. Too many disjointed teams, not enough direction, and my guess the MMO space starting to fail had a lot to do with it as well.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
While a neat piece I was hoping for an outline of what Titan was and why it failed. This failed to deliver.

I also love (?) how Diablo seems shoved in a corner. Like they don't talk about that as well. They know it was a failure and they know it is still a failure. Path of Exile is everything Diablo should have been and isn't.

Cybsled

Ultimately it is no different than Warcraft Adventures or Starcraft Ghost: Ambitious projects that tried to go outside their comfort zone, didn't work out, got scrapped, but they used parts in other games. Interviews made Titan sound like City of Heroes, except you had a day job and didn't do the hero stuff 100%. It sounds interesting on paper, but that does sound like it would have been hard to make work.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Video made me a little jealous of the folks working at Blizzard. Got to be something special working on something you are that passionate about.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Video made me a little jealous of the folks working at Blizzard. Got to be something special working on something you are that passionate about.
Don't be too jealous, I'm sure it sucks being passionate and failing since WotLK.

This is the thing that baffles me with Mmorpg developers. They ALWAYS try to make something different than what made them popular in the first place.

For instance, Everquest put SoE on the map. Then with SWG, EQ2, and everything since then they have tried their best to make games as different from Everquest as possible. They specifically said with SWG that they didn't want to make Everquest in space. Why the hell not? That's what I wanted. Then when the SWG beta discs showed up in the mail and I got in game I was like wtf is this shit.

Fast forward to the recent EQNEXT shit storm. The original screen shots for EQN looked awesome. It was Everquest reimagined in a new game client. What did they do? Scrapped it and started working on Minecraft meets Everquest. And, the reason they gave for starting over was that their original idea was too much like Everquest. WTF?! THAT'S WHAT WE WANTED YOU DUMB FUCKS!

And, here we have Blizzard with THE most successful MMORPG in history. What do they choose to follow up the great success of WoW? They make something nothing like it. WTF?!

Stop making different kinds of games solely for the sake of making something different.

Your High-fantasy diku-mud based MMORPG is what made you filthy rich beyond imagine and made a whole industry try to mimic you. WoW is over ten years old. Make a new high -fantasy Mmorpg to be is successor for the next ten years.

But, no. We have something different. Yay a FPS. Fuck yeah. Way to support the ten million Mmorpg fans you had by coming out with a FPS game >.<

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I seriously doubt it. They pretty much told you why it failed in that first part. Too many disjointed teams, not enough direction, and my guess the MMO space starting to fail had a lot to do with it as well.
Starting to fail? There is no data supporting this claim. The fact that WoD was a gigantic pile of stinking dung has nothing to do with the MMO space starting to fail, maybe just with people that don't want to pay monthly for a crap expansion pack, let alone 14 months for the same crap. Meanwhile other games are doing well, but probably the modern audience is unwilling to fill their gaming evenings with a game that offers little to nothing even in time investment.
Considering they have only themselves to blame, since they have been trendsetters for all WoW life, I'd say tough luck if their MMO is losing subs.

Overwatch is filling a niche they didn't occupy before, which broadens their audience. In the end it was a smart move.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
A nice little PRing stunt targeting those millions who were following Titan Project yet have no interest in a skirmish FPS game, an effort to grab the attention of that target audience.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
All we want is awesome graphics and character creation like Asian games these days set in a tried and true environment by a western publisher (that isn't doing some shit relocalization, piss off NCSoft)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
All we want is awesome graphics and character creation like Asian games these days set in a tried and true environment by a western publisher (that isn't doing some shit relocalization, piss off NCSoft)
God yes give me black desert graphics on a solid western MMO and I would be totally all over that.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Totally agree that this is a fluff piece for Overwatch and even Blizzard as a whole. I feel they over the last 5-6 years Blizzard has lost a lot of the good will it built with the community. The whole Titan story is very interesting though, hopefully they do elaborate more on what happened with it.
Yeah, fixing D3 and releasing Hearthstone, HotS and (soon) Overwatchreallyshowed everyone Blizzard just doesn't care about making good games any more.

I also love (?) how Diablo seems shoved in a corner. Like they don't talk about that as well. They know it was a failure and they know it is still a failure. Path of Exile is everything Diablo should have been and isn't.
What? You think D3 is still a bad game or something? And you think PoE is agoodgame?

How is life on a cuboid planet, anyway?