Story of Overwatch and Fall of Titan - Blizzard semi documentary

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
All that doc did was make me wish they had gotten Titan right. OW isn't bad, just not my cup of tea. Wish there was some single player stuff set in this universe.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I do wonder if they'll release paid SP campaign packs for the heroes. There seems to be so much backstory that they could easily exist. But I think since Titan sucked off so much money that the Blizzard high ups said "Ship something and ship it soon" and the easiest thing to do was rip some of the MP off Titan, package it up and ship it out. I'll be interested to see what their future plans are for the title.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm of two minds. I never understood a new mmo when you're sitting on WoW. Plus the market was clearly changing and mmo's were becoming wastelands constantly. Heroes of the Storm is much more sound investment given what's popular. And Overwatch fills in a slot they don't have.

It's not my cup of tea either. Been trying to convince myself for years I like FPS. I just don't.

I think wow is the last of its kind from blizzard. Hell, it's the oddity. They've always focused on small, polished (maybe even simplified) versions of classical genres that are more like well done homages.

Where's Warcraft 4? And Garrisons suck ass.

Tenks

I think wow is the last of its kind from blizzard. Hell, it's the oddity. They've always focused on small, polished (maybe even simplified) versions of classical genres that are more like well done homages
Isn't that what WoW is, though? It was a more action-focused less-downtime EQ when it came out.

Caeden

Isn't that what WoW is, though? It was a more action-focused less-downtime EQ when it came out.
you're not wrong, but it's still a mammoth game for blizzard to undertake. Still sticks out a little bit compared to their typical offerings.

Tenks

you're not wrong, but it's still a mammoth game for blizzard to undertake. Still sticks out a little bit compared to their typical offerings.
Back when WoW came out Blizzard wasn't quite as casual catered as they are these days. You may be confusing polish with catering to the casuals. Even then Blizzard has somewhat recently released Starcraft2 which features MP which is intentionally difficult. But you can't argue WoW has taken a direction of bending over backwards for the casual audience.

Caeden

Possibly. I view it as easy to get into, difficult to master.

I always viewed wow as being fairly casual anyway. There was raiding and high end pvp. Outside of that it was a casual game.

Tenks

I felt WoW vanilla wasn't extremely casual. Which is why they had to change something because I think they said like 1% of the player base was seeing all the raid content they were producing. Shit probably less than 1% saw the 4 Horseman encounter.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Vanilla WoW was casual in comparison to everything other MMO out at the time. It's just that it basically redefined the marketplace to reflect what it was, so the old ideas of casual, hardcore, etc changed with it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Taking a month for the dedicated to hit max level is not casual by today's game standards. It was easier than what came before it but they didn't say screw it and go full casual for vanilla, it still actually took effort to do things back then.

Things started going casual with welfare epics in TBC, then the dungeon finder and badge normalization hit in WotLK and full casual was let out of the bag.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I like the look of Overwatch and the animated cinematics have been great so far, but the world expressed in those cinematics isn't the world of the actual game where you have several copies of the same character on both sides of the playing field.

I would be quite interested in more of a story / mission-mode of the game where you were restricted to certain character choices and had objectives that weren't just the TF2-style FPS stuff, but that isn't the game that they made. I have a sneaking suspicion that while I like the world of Overwatch I won't actually care for the game they made.

Tenks

I think it depends on how much you like the genre. I've never been a lore person so I don't give a damn that there are 2 Winstons flying at me I'm only concerned with dealing with the problem to win the match. Obviously since its an MP-only game there is a lack of narrative and if that is what really hooks you on games you may not find OW to your tastes. But if you like class-based FPS OW is hitting that mark in a very satisfying nature.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it depends on how much you like the genre. I've never been a lore person so I don't give a damn that there are 2 Winstons flying at me I'm only concerned with dealing with the problem to win the match. Obviously since its an MP-only game there is a lack of narrative and if that is what really hooks you on games you may not find OW to your tastes. But if you like class-based FPS OW is hitting that mark in a very satisfying nature.
It's an updated TF2 without the horrible item-farm (yet). Game is amazingly fun to play and luckily unlike CS:GO 1 or 2 great players on the opposing team can't entirely carry.

Tenks

I would highly doubt they implement items like TF2. But sometimes 1-2 can easily carry matches. Even when I'd duo queue with people my win% would sky rocket. Especially if you are a good Tracer or Genji.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched this video just for the spicy Titan details... fail.

But they did sucker me into being interested in Overwatch, don't usually get that into Blizzard games or follow them. They're well done, just not my cup of joe. But all their talk about coming from fps games, rocket jumps, old school team fortress etc, sent me into full blown nostalgia mode. It sounded like they were talking about me before a friend tricked me into trying EQ and stole the next 3+ years of my life.

If Overwatch really does bring back some of the old fps mechanics it could be a lot of fun. Definitely going to check it out now.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Not a fan of any of Blizzard recent titles (Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch...)

They are all fast-food video games to me.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Thought the documentary was a smart marketing move on their part. Got me a little interested in Overwatch, made me slightly believe they care, and gives me some hope they'll try to make a good MMO in future now they've been humbled (by all appearances).

I really got into PC gaming with DOOM, Quake, Unreal, etc. you tandem those titles with Warcraft, Diablo, and Tie Fighter that's my entire 90's PC Collection. It was a huge jump from Heroes Quest and King's Quest in terms of graphics and gameplay so i'm going to give it a try just for some short term fun. However, my concern for longevity is still very real for Overwatch. Maybe they'll surprise me.

They'll go way up in my book if they announce a couple of Vanilla servers at BlizzCon but who knows if that'll ever happen.

Decent video about all of this by Boogie2988. He's definitely one of us in terms of the era of gaming he came through...

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not a fan of any of Blizzard recent titles (Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch...)

They are all fast-food video games to me.
Well Quake 2 and all of it's mods were as fast food as you can get. Give me frys with my fucking quarter pounder and take my fucking money.

Overwatch will probably suck, but if it gives me some of that fast food quake love I'm in. Still hate Blizzard's retard art style though.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I felt WoW vanilla wasn't extremely casual. Which is why they had to change something because I think they said like 1% of the player base was seeing all the raid content they were producing. Shit probably less than 1% saw the 4 Horseman encounter.
Way, way, WAY less than 1% made legitimate attempts at 4H. Saw I'm not sure. The vast majority of guilds were forced into cannibalizing geared tanks from other servers. Hell, I think we recruited five xserver warriors during Naxx?