Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Can't find it on EU, nor any information that it shouldn't be there. There is one available for download, but it no longer works since it's the one from last year and you get a timer lockout when you try to start it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Can't find it on EU, nor any information that it shouldn't be there. There is one available for download, but it no longer works since it's the one from last year and you get a timer lockout when you try to start it.

Yeah, I tried to play the new demo and got the same message. I'll just wait for the 18th. Probably playing this day one, or at least night one. Not taking the day off like I did for Elden Ring, but I'm interested to see how this is regardless.

Garland walking around with a cellphone and wireless earbuds rocking out to frank sinatra.

Uh ok.

I dunno know I feel about all the real-world shit, it kinda ruined FF15 for me. (Also FF15's bland AF battle system)

I'm putting my chips on this being a sequel or prequel to FF1 based on the trailer. The story of FF1 was based on a time loop of sorts. That time loop had to have had a start or an end to it to get the loop going or ending (sounds contradictory but...). Just a guess though! A reimagining of FF1 seems too trite.

I doubt it's a reimagining/remake, it'd be framed as such if it were (and probably sell a lot better).

It's likely a prequel (and also a sequel cause of the time loop in question).

The one story FF1 has never told, through all the remasters, is how Garland went from being a revered knight of the kingdom to being a bad guy. Pretty much as soon as I saw this game I figured it'd be telling that story, and that's what I'm expectiing. Jack = Garland, I assume.

However it's taking it in a weird direction with the modern-ish setting/tech and Jack being an emo oddball. I would have expected pre-evil Garland to be a noble knight with a solid personality who is beloved by the people around him, until he defeats Chaos and absorbs his power in a Dark Quickening and turns bad, or whatever.

In any case I totally expect this game to be the story of Garland and friends hunting down Chaos, only to have him be overtaken by Chaos at the end and possessed (or defeating and absorbing Chaos, but not being able to control the power).

I wonder what drove Square to decide this was a game they needed to make now of all times. Maybe they wanted to do a Souls-like and just thought of the darkest un-tapped storyline the FF series had.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I tried to play the new demo and got the same message. I'll just wait for the 18th. Probably playing this day one, or at least night one. Not taking the day off like I did for Elden Ring, but I'm interested to see how this is regardless.

I found it today. It's 35 gigs.

Releases on the 15th if you have it pre ordered. 72 hour head start.

spronk

FPS noob
I played the demo on PS5 for ~30 mins and while I'm not really the target audience, only having played a few final fantasy games man... this game was boring. I don't know why the demo starts up with some random ass cutscene and then dumps you into a tutorial and then another long cutscene. The visuals are not good, some face models are ok but the textures are mostly meh to some horrible ones. I had to double check I was running the PS5 version of the game, yup. I bailed after 45 mins, zero interest in playing anymore.

felt like a low budget ps2 game

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I played the demo on PS5 for ~30 mins and while I'm not really the target audience, only having played a few final fantasy games man... this game was boring. I don't know why the demo starts up with some random ass cutscene and then dumps you into a tutorial and then another long cutscene. The visuals are not good, some face models are ok but the textures are mostly meh to some horrible ones. I had to double check I was running the PS5 version of the game, yup. I bailed after 45 mins, zero interest in playing anymore.

felt like a low budget ps2 game

You should keep trying. Combat is actually kind of fun as you unlock the classes. You unlock at least 4 of the base ones during the first mission. You have Pugilist, Swordsman, Mage and Lancer. They can turn into other classes as you level them up. Actually strategic fast paced combat as some enemies are very weak to some things, but resist others. Especially stagger. I did most of the first mission using the greatsword, but stopped at a save point and kept resummoning a room (enemies respawn when you rest) and tried out the different classes. I remember I died to the first boss tons of times in the earlier demo using the greatsword, but as a pugilist he went down real fast. While I certainly agree the visuals aren't all that, it's smooth. No lag at all.

Loot drops like candy. Kind of diabloish, so grinding for gear to get more powerful is certainly a thing you can do.

As to the story, I did a lol. Not often games make me do that, but at the end of the first mission, someone was explaining their motivations and the main character went "Bullshit!" turned around, took out his music player and turned on what I think was Limp Bizkit and walked away.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I'll wait for the final thing to come out, graphics are pretty rough right now. I like the combat though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You should keep trying. Combat is actually kind of fun as you unlock the classes. You unlock at least 4 of the base ones during the first mission. You have Pugilist, Swordsman, Mage and Lancer. They can turn into other classes as you level them up. Actually strategic fast paced combat as some enemies are very weak to some things, but resist others. Especially stagger. I did most of the first mission using the greatsword, but stopped at a save point and kept resummoning a room (enemies respawn when you rest) and tried out the different classes. I remember I died to the first boss tons of times in the earlier demo using the greatsword, but as a pugilist he went down real fast. While I certainly agree the visuals aren't all that, it's smooth. No lag at all.

Loot drops like candy. Kind of diabloish, so grinding for gear to get more powerful is certainly a thing you can do.

As to the story, I did a lol. Not often games make me do that, but at the end of the first mission, someone was explaining their motivations and the main character went "Bullshit!" turned around, took out his music player and turned on what I think was Limp Bizkit and walked away.
While that’s over the top ridiculously stupid I just don’t want limp bizkit and cell phones in my final fantasy. I don’t want limp bizkit in anything tbh. Sounds terrible.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think anyone trying to play this after Elden Ring is just going to be disappointed. It lacks the "fuck off and let me just do my thing" approach of FromSoft games.

Might want to try it down the road.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'll give it a quick plow over the weekend if I'm not doing anything else. FF is probably my favorite series and I've played almost everything in it (except 11, 14, and Crystal Chronicles).

I enjoyed the hell out of Lightning Returns and it felt like a similarly "unnecessary" side-quel during a time when people were waiting for them to just make a new mainline game. So maybe this'll be fun.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Getting this some time this afternoon and probably gonna be home playing it by 4 PM or so. Who else is rolling with this game?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I dunno know I feel about all the real-world shit, it kinda ruined FF15 for me. (Also FF15's bland AF battle system)

I doubt it's a reimagining/remake, it'd be framed as such if it were (and probably sell a lot better).

It's likely a prequel (and also a sequel cause of the time loop in question).

The one story FF1 has never told, through all the remasters, is how Garland went from being a revered knight of the kingdom to being a bad guy. Pretty much as soon as I saw this game I figured it'd be telling that story, and that's what I'm expectiing. Jack = Garland, I assume.

However it's taking it in a weird direction with the modern-ish setting/tech and Jack being an emo oddball. I would have expected pre-evil Garland to be a noble knight with a solid personality who is beloved by the people around him, until he defeats Chaos and absorbs his power in a Dark Quickening and turns bad, or whatever.

In any case I totally expect this game to be the story of Garland and friends hunting down Chaos, only to have him be overtaken by Chaos at the end and possessed (or defeating and absorbing Chaos, but not being able to control the power).

I wonder what drove Square to decide this was a game they needed to make now of all times. Maybe they wanted to do a Souls-like and just thought of the darkest un-tapped storyline the FF series had.
In the original FF1, there was a lot of tech littered about from an advanced civilization that had previously existed on the world. There is a whole quest to learn their language and an area where the hardest enemies in the game (Warmechs) can be found. That said, the biggest problem with all FF games since 12 is the immersion breaking injection of real world into fantasy. Honestly, even the highly lauded FF7 had that issue.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
In the original FF1, there was a lot of tech littered about from an advanced civilization that had previously existed on the world. There is a whole quest to learn their language and an area where the hardest enemies in the game (Warmechs) can be found. That said, the biggest problem with all FF games since 12 is the immersion breaking injection of real world into fantasy. Honestly, even the highly lauded FF7 had that issue.

I don't know if my viewpoint on this is a common one, but I like the injections of real world into FF games.

Not like, the cell phones and cars from the last couple games, that's ass

I mean like, the injections of "higher technology used to exist in the world before the last collapse" because I find that idea fascinating. Most of the FF games do it, which led me to think that the series is meant to be post-post apocalyptic and in different wildly disparate parts of a long timeline (if they're even on the same planet). Even before 12, this was a thing. FF1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 all allude to there being previous advanced civilizations. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if 2/3/8/9 do it too.

Even Chrono Trigger does it. The technology in 12,000 B.C. is almost as advanced as the technology in 1999 A.D. and in both cases a cataclysm shattered everything soon afterward.

Is it immersion-breaking? In a way yeah, but it also gets the imagination motor running when you have to reconcile the tech levels being so wildly variable.

If SoP takes place like, a couple thousand years before FF1 and covers the collapse of the Lefein civilization (thus the modern technology) that could be an interesting story. Who knows though.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ACG said it kinda sucky, basically due to graphics and level design. Watched a bit of Fans gaming playing it, and it seemed ok. Gets negative marks from me for having to run around with companions, but I'll try it out if only to give my PS5 a reason to exist.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Played the demo. It ramps up more as you unlock classes. Game is cool. I enjoyed it but why release this so close to Elden Ring? Like I'm gonna wait until this is on sale.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t mind advanced tech in fantasy games but when they’re in an audi and using a Samsung cell phone and playing papa roach it’s too much. I like the unique looking stuff they come up with that’s more based on magic powering advanced things. It’s more like we can imagine what an advanced civilization would look like if magic were real. I don’t want to see our actual civilization in a fantasy game.

• 1Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna wait until this is on sale
desus nice power GIF by Desus & Mero

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Combat looks cool, levels all look like shit. Kind of sad about that considering how good Niohs was. Downloading demo now will see.