Stranger Things

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
ET meets Firestarter meets Goonies.
What was the thing chewing on before she touched it?
Whats going on with the egg?
Guessing the worm was a larva?
El's silent mother's sister knows about CIA and Powers but doubt believe. Who's the father and what powers does he have?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
1. Not sure we'll ever know or that it's important, other than being creepy and implying that the monster isn't the only thing living in the shadow realm. It had to eat something before finding about portals.
2. This was emphasized heavily enough that it seems important, but just implies again that there's other things living in the shadow realm.
3. Not sure if specifics matter too much. Scene was there to show Will has/had a parasite that's now in the real world and that Will's still in tune with the shadow realm. My guess is that in the bathroom he accidentally teleported through without realizing it and that he'll develop this power next season.
4. I believe this was meant to be a virgin birth of sorts, at least where her powers are concerned. The mother was pregnant before beginning the drug trials but didn't know it. A lot of people on their first few hallucinogen trips see the waving visuals as a "curtain of reality" that can be pulled back. That the drugs are causing your brain to be able to see the cracks in reality in a way. This show just takes that idea further with a developing child's brain pumped full of enough hallucinogens to gain some mastery over reality. Hawkins was doing secret investigational research and the way they phrased it, to me, implies that Hawkins caused these powers to happen and that they weren't inherited from the father.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
4h8kmqkvh6ex.jpg

Ladro

Anomaly
Just finished, what a great fucking story. The nostalgia pieces were spot on and having been the same age as the kids at the time it was a bit surreal. Absolutely one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

Curious about how they're going to carry it forward but...

I guess Eleven is still alive and Will can transfer between dimensions now? Hop is working for the government secretly? I was disappointed that Nancy was with Steve and not Jonathan.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
"We don’t want to reveal much, other than to say it is an interdimensional being that has more in common with the shark from Jaws than Pennywise from It. When the monster enters our dimension, it’s like a shark breaching the water. Very much like a shark, it drags its prey back into its home, where it feeds. Each time it enters our world, it leaves a small tear, or wound. That’s what Joyce found in her wall in episode 4, and Nancy found in the tree in episode 5. These tears are almost like portholes into the Upside Down. But they don’t last very long. Like wounds, they eventually heal and seal up."

My interpretation from that is Eleven didn't really open the portals but was blaming herself. She made contact with the creature which was then aware of the real world and could come in to hunt. It hadn't come before because, while it seems like it was able to, it had no knowledge of the juicy feeding ground right next to itself. I definitely got the Lost vibes but this show doesn't get as outlandish. The biggest mystery in Lost was how they were going to tie everything up together in the end but that never happened. With Stranger Things, from how much was wrapped up nicely in season 1 and from interviews with the showrunners, it seems like they have a good handle on the mythology of their world.

The similarities with the anime Elfen Lied were so strong that by the end of my binge I was sure they had major influence from it. They've said it was their main influence but, to me, it borders on remake territory except toned down in violence, nudity, and general craziness. There wasn't an entire shadow realm in Elfen Lied but the psychic arms were extradimensional of some kind. Most of the characters have analogues and their motivations and interactions are mostly the same. As a fan of Elfen Lied, this was a really cool show to watch.

The only problem with their explanation is the main portal which never closed. The other ones did. The main portal as opened by Eleven was different.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I assumed the main portal was secured by lab security on the real world side. It doesn't seem like the creature comes and goes through the main portal, at least, or that there's regular fighting going on there. But yes, Hawkins does still have the portal and the rest of their experiments ongoing. Nothing in this season stopped them at all, other than losing Eleven, but she's only one part of her project as implied by her name. I guess they'll need some remodeling and new hires as well.

I was thinking about it more at work today and my predictions for Season 2, completely based on Elfen Lied, is that Eleven must surely still be around, and that Hawkins will send another one of the experimental children, probably another girl, to go find her and capture her. This will lead to awesome psychic fights like Gandalf vs. Saruman from LOTR, the disfigurement of the new experimental child by Eleven, and the continuous humanization of both as they come to terms with a humanity and society that are foreign to them. The Eggos might even be involved by using them and Hopper as a trap to draw Eleven back through into the real world from whatever dimension she got flung to, only to be immediately attacked by the new child. Hopper realizes he was a pawn, flips his shit, and goes back on the offensive with Hawkins after their truce. All I know for certain is that I fucking love this show.

Zinc

Trakanon Raider
I've only recently signed up and got a Netflix account. When i heard about this show and saw the trailers the 80's nostalgia came flooding back. Started watching and holy fuck what a great show.
The fact they managed to keep the 4 children as the main centre characters is brilliant. The music, the acting all spot on.
It's another one of the shows I wish I could unsee and watch all over again!

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Hoping to watch this soon. It sounds right up my alley. I've got Netflix but unfortunately still have Daredevil to catch up on.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hoping to watch this soon. It sounds right up my alley. I've got Netflix but unfortunately still have Daredevil to catch up on.
Watch this first instead of Daredevil, ppl told me Daredevil is "ok to great", while this is basically the "water cooler" series to talk about now.

Did anybody pass the freezer section recently and looked at an eggo? i did, fuck those were great to eat when you were 8.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just feel like they've pretty much done a complete story, other than Will puking the monster sperm into the sink.

I fear that a show that was near perfection will slip on later in seasons. While I want moar, I'm not sure moar is good for this first season, which you could almost say was "legendary." Yes, I said it, legendary.

Always leave them wanting more.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Better call Saul has made me a lot less pessimistic towards "sequels" with the same cast but a different premise. They did leave themselves a good set up, too, the rescue of Eleven if she's alive. Could go full goonies as a classic adventure tale.

I perasonally think Eleven and the monster were the same. Story seemed to draw a lot of parallels with the Forbidden Planet (For those who haven't seen it. Premise is a doctor takes drugs to expand his brain. Then a monster appears on the planet that can appear almost anywhere and is usually invisible. As the movie goes on, the doctor realizes the monster is his own ID, that he can't control because its an aspect of his expanded intelligence, and kills himself facing down the monster.). Especially given the Phoenix references with Xmen 134, as well as the demogogorgan being a two headed monster. I think the monster was Eleven's "Id", hatched because of Eleven's thoughts took form in the upside down.

But then again, monster seemed to be reproducing so who knows. But they did leave a really cool story open.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
could also add a little True Detective, X-files and Monster Squad. :)

I took the Phoenix thing as El and her increasing power. Its close enough I figured and matches with the disappearance thing.

Thinking over the upside down, seems it has always been there with creature(s). Touching it made it aware and was able to hunt El, thus gate creation that hasnt disappeared vs the creature self made portals.

Possible the boy is morphing into something or a carrier for the parasite he is carrying. Coughing up new creatures that will cause problems later. Assumption is the egg was the creature's, same with the worm but I am not sure sure.

Another idea, what if the creature was a past Hawking subject?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I perasonally think Eleven and the monster were the same.

That would actually make a little sense, as people engage in sensory deprivation to get in touch with themselves, and we first encountered the monster when she went in the tank.

Xevy

Log Wizard
She did say "I am the monster" once. I still think it's not that deep. I think she just opened the door to the monster and ever since he got in he opened all the windows so he can come and go more or less as he pleases. I hope it's not "you are teh monstrez!" I like it better if it's just another plane and other beings.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Especially given the Phoenix references with Xmen 134, as well as the demogogorgan being a two headed monster.

Good call. It would seem the El is the monster, and the monsters are coming from inside her. This is the comic where they first found out Jean Grey had a negative personality inside of her, that she couldn't control.

latest?cb=20070221192336

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user