Streaming video from PC to TV

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Figured this would be the best place to ask.

My current setup is:
-Desktop hard drives storing all my media.
-PS3 in the living room.
-Roku in 2nd room.
-DirecTV in living room.

This setup means I have to copy media (outside of music) from my desktop to the PS3, because the PS3 streams for crap. The Roku in the 2nd room I have connected via Plex, which I love.

In July, my DirecTV contract is up and I want to get rid of it. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. For sports, I would like to use MMA-TV.

So my question is this, what should my setup be for the living room? I want something that I can use the Netflix and Amazon Prime "apps" on, as well as stream 1080p downloads, and watch MMA-TV. I'd also like to have something that stores the media somewhere other than my desktop. Price is a consideration (both for the hardware and electricity), but I don't have any set point for it right now.

Some of the options I was considering are:
-Replace PS3 with another Roku and use a NAS for media. I'm not sure what to do about MMA-TV with this option, but it takes care of Netflix/Amazon/Plex.
-Replace PS3 with an HTPC that I can use to stream, MMA-TV, and use that for downloads/storage (can I do this cheaply and with low power consumption?). I'm also unsure of whether there is a very user friendly GUI for Netflix/Amazon for the wife.
-NAS and HTPC. This seems like overkill, but I'm pretty sure it covers everything outside of the above Netflix/Amazon thing.

Outside of those, I'm kind of stumped as for what to do. Any and all crazy options I'd like to hear.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think I know the answer to this, but is MMA-TV legal? And if now how do they get away with charging monthly fees for content that they don't own?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Roku and torrent MMA fights.
MMA-TV is for all sports. I actually couldn't give a crap about MMA. I mostly want it for football, and maybe hockey. That's why the HTPC is an option since it'd essentially be using my TV as a monitor for it.

I haven't actually ever used MMA-TV, but the people in the sports forum suggested it as an alternative to Sunday Ticket.

And no, it's not legal. But neither are newsgroups charging for access to media either.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, it sounds like you need a HTPC since you have multiple web-based options. You can go a couple of different ways with it, but they will all be more costly than just doing something like buying another Roku. I definitely think you need to consider the HTPC avenue though, because I doubt you're going to get the satisfaction out of Hulu, Amazon, and MMA-TV that you are looking for with another box.

Personally I have a HTPC with a NAS, and I love it, but it was costly compared to just a Roku or Boxee. I like the fact that all I have in my living room is a tiny computer (Intel NUC) that is smaller than a double-disc CD case, and my NAS is off in another room that I don't even see. I leave the NUC on constantly because it draws so little power, and the NAS is pretty good about being (fairly) low-powered if not in use.

Still, I don't see how you are going to get true web-streaming capability without having some kind of real browser, and for that you're pretty much stuck with a PC of some sort.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Speaking of Boxee, I modded it with new firmware (Boxee Hacks), because it said it improves video playback, etc. I guess I shouldn't try and fix what's not broken, but after having recently bought a Roku for the bedroom TV, I feel like there should be so much more I could do with the Boxee than what I'm currently doing.

D-link stopped supporting it, but there hasn't been updates for Boxee Hacks either.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly, it sounds like you need a HTPC since you have multiple web-based options. You can go a couple of different ways with it, but they will all be more costly than just doing something like buying another Roku. I definitely think you need to consider the HTPC avenue though, because I doubt you're going to get the satisfaction out of Hulu, Amazon, and MMA-TV that you are looking for with another box.

Personally I have a HTPC with a NAS, and I love it, but it was costly compared to just a Roku or Boxee. I like the fact that all I have in my living room is a tiny computer (Intel NUC) that is smaller than a double-disc CD case, and my NAS is off in another room that I don't even see. I leave the NUC on constantly because it draws so little power, and the NAS is pretty good about being (fairly) low-powered if not in use.

Still, I don't see how you are going to get true web-streaming capability without having some kind of real browser, and for that you're pretty much stuck with a PC of some sort.
Thanks. I think I may just say screw the MMA-TV thing and fuck sports (or get a long HDMI and connect my computer to the TV for Sundays).

If I did that, would a Roku and NAS be able to handle everything? Basically, my question there is, can Plex run media off a NAS without my desktop running the Plex software (i.e. desktop powered off)? I'm not sure how Plex works, and researching it here at work right now isn't working.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Thanks. I think I may just say screw the MMA-TV thing and fuck sports (or get a long HDMI and connect my computer to the TV for Sundays).

If I did that, would a Roku and NAS be able to handle everything? Basically, my question there is, can Plex run media off a NAS without my desktop running the Plex software (i.e. desktop powered off)? I'm not sure how Plex works, and researching it here at work right now isn't working.
There are NAS devices that run Plex media server but you need to watch which one you buy. They all don't use the same chipsets. Yes if you have plex server running your Roku will be able to watch just about anything you throw at it via the plex app.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The number of NAS that can run Plex media server all by itself is pretty low right now, and pretty expensive. It definitely can be done, and that would be your most convenient solution, but if cost is an issue you need to do some checking to see what is available. There was a site linked awhile ago that showed which NAS could run Plex, but I don't remember where it was. All I know is that my expensive Synology NAS still wasn't enough. However, with new chips coming out all the time, that may have changed.

But, that then begs the question...why run Plex? Just put your media on the NAS and point the Roku to the directory. Doesn't it have some sort of interface that allows you to watch directly from files? I have to imagine that it does, since Boxee and WD and everything else does. I have never used a Roku, but if their Hulu and Amazon apps work great, and it plays from files, then yeah, in theory you'd be fine with that setup.

The only reason to run Plex in that setup is if you watch from another location (not on the same network), on your phone/tablet, or want to watch it at a friend's, etc. And for that, well you're going to have to pay some more money for either a better NAS or a dedicated PC running Plex Media Server. But if you don't need that, I'd just skip using Plex unless you are dead-set on it keeping track of what you've watched and such. That's about the only advantage I can think of with running Plex on a single viewing center.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are NAS devices that run Plex media server but you need to watch which one you buy. They all don't use the same chipsets. Yes if you have plex server running your Roku will be able to watch just about anything you throw at it via the plex app.
So, is my understanding correct that the Roku will do all the transcoding (and can it handle 1080p mkv's for example)?

I've been reading up on it, and I could build a HTPC for about $500 (including HDD for storage, blu-ray, and Win8). That would solve all my problems, but if there's something I can do for cheaper, I'd rather do that. I get the impression that there's no way I'll find a NAS for that cheap that will do what I need.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
NAS boxes that can transcode are going to run you a lot more than a HTPC, in all likelihood. On the other hand, I'm not sure if a Roku can handle every file type, codec, and resolution you're going to throw at it. But you can just have a desktop PC running the Plex server software to do the transcoding.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So, is my understanding correct that the Roku will do all the transcoding (and can it handle 1080p mkv's for example)?

I've been reading up on it, and I could build a HTPC for about $500 (including HDD for storage, blu-ray, and Win8). That would solve all my problems, but if there's something I can do for cheaper, I'd rather do that. I get the impression that there's no way I'll find a NAS for that cheap that will do what I need.
If the Roku is like the Boxee, it will transcode pretty much everything you throw at it, except perhaps full bluray rips, but if you're into those you wouldn't be worried about our solutions anyway. Again, never used a Roku but it *should* work just fine. Unless you are trying to stream 1080p over wifi, then you will have some issues most likely, but you didn't mention that.

You didn't say why you have to have Plex though, other than that you love it. If you're just watching on two TVs and storing your media somewhere (NAS or any PC on your network), the Roku should be all you really need. Buy a second one at the other TV and you're done.

If you're dead set on keeping Plex and/or keeping it cheap though, I still think the second Roku is your best bet, and just keep running your old computer like you have been. Then, as you feel like expanding you can perhaps buy yourself a NAS for storage or a HTPC to allow MMA-TV, etc. I'd probably do HTPC first, because once you have one you'll probably never want to be without one, particularly if you cut the cable cord. You already know the Roku, and Plex, so it will be no big deal to just add another one for fairly cheap right now, and then upgrade as you like later. There's nothing wrong with having a spare Roku around in case something fails, or you want to watch in a third location. The only thing you are lacking with it is MMA-TV, so it all depends on how big of a deal that is to you.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think I'll go the HTPC route to start with. Brother-in-law has an old atom with blu-ray he's going to mail me. I'll probably just replace the HDD and roll with it. After that, like you said Vvoid, I'll upgrade to a NAS for storage once my library warrants it.

He did mention that he didn't think I'd be able to do Netflix on it, however. He said that XBMC didn't have a Netflix plugin (although I Googled it and it seems like it does?), but also that Silverlight won't do hardware acceleration. I looked that up, and apparently that was a concern at some point. Anyone running Netflix on an HTPC successfully?

Appreciate all the help.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
XBMC does not have a working Netflix app anymore, that I'm aware of. However, since it is a PC, you can just open it in a browser. Slightly less convenient I realize, but that's what I do for now, and you'd be doing it to watch MMA-TV anyway I imagine (I don't use it, but assuming it is browser based). Or just use the built in app on my TV, as pretty much any TV made in the last few years has them now.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
God damn it. I ordered a Roku3 because my WDTV Wireless is a piece of shit and HEY guess what I discovered after setting it up? Rokus doesn't allow SMB file sharing. What. the. fuck. My fault for not thoroughly researching this but I just assumed that any modern player would have this feature.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Right, but now you have a Roku that can run the Plex App and all your troubles are solved.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok, so my brother-in-law sent me one of his old HTPCs and I received it today. I'm going to try and use it for a while until I feel like I need a different solution. It's an atom, and it's got a 30 gig SSD in it. I haven't cracked it open, but he says it can only fit the one disk drive. The SSD doesn't seem particularly fast to me (mine boots Win7 in less than 10 sec, this one seemed like it took at least 20-30), and it's basically just enough room for the OS (Win 7 in this case).

Since I want it to act as storage for now, until I find the need for a NAS, I feel like I have two options:

• Buy a new 2.5 HDD, probably about 2 TB, and throw Windows on it plus use it as storage.
  • It has USB 3.0, so I can just grab a 2 TB external and use that for storage. I'd continue to use the 30gb SSD for the OS

Anyone got any opinions here? And also, any recommendations on drives? It's a tiny ass case, so 2.5 drives only. I basically want to know if USB 3.0 is going to be fast enough for 1080p (my gut says yes, but want confirmation) and/or if a standard HDD would be fast enough.

I've also got to figure out if it has an internal IR (he says he thinks it does), and a remote control solution. I used to have a Harmony that I loved, but the current ones all sound like shit (and I'm not dropping $400 for one of the really nice ones).