Subnautica

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Seaweed touched my leg at the beach the last time I was at one. FFFFUUUUUCKKKK that! Cthulu tentacles!!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I went to take a dip in the ocean here the other day, waded into the water about chest deep, pretty decent waves at this point - when all of a sudden the sand just completely crumbled and was gone beneath my feet and I was just falling into some ocean hole. I was like "holy shit!!!" and started flailing in the water in an attempt to start swimming away from it when a wave returning from the shore just pulled me further into it.

I was like "so this is how it finally ends for me - gonna die in Kedge keep." as I'm frantically trying to swim back to shore before the wave and the rip current kill me. So I made it back and after a while realized that literally 20 feet from the shore, theres just a large seafloor drop and wno knows how deep it could be? Could be 10 could be 100 feet. I have a love/hate relationship with oceans and water.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I grew up SCUBA diviing and my Mom is even an instructor so this game has mostly been fun for me. Playing on survival mode took a few tries because some of the basic elements for survival (fuck you salt) were just elusive and fucked me.

Piecing together the story has been kind of fun and I haven't been too freaked out by anything other than the mandible creature that grabbed by submarine. I do dislike diving at night though. Mostly because you can't see shit and behavior of some creatures changes dramatically in the night.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven't played this in like 2 years.

I swear I read something that they got rid of the building aspect of it? Is that true? If so that'd be a real bummer, because building a sea base was the best part. Plus it gave you a good place to run back to when shit got too real.

Edit: Looks like it was Vorph's comment like 4 posts in about removing terraforming. That kind of sucks. Not even sure how you can build a base without that, but okay.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Nope, just started up a new game after not playing for a couple years and I'd say there is MORE to build

Oldbased

> Than U
The release version comes out today I think if not already. I haven't played it in a few months but they added stuff almost monthly for the past 2 years. They did change some stuff but building is as complete as ever. You also get the full sub, mini sub and prawn suit which is like a water mech. Most of the updates this past year was the alien places and finishing up the Aurora ship places to explore.

Down the road it looks like at least one DLC, but they said the game is about as complete as it can be and they have 9 million invested into it. Not sure how much of that was made back from EA purchases but the future content of the game depends on release sales.

The game filled a great void but now there is several new games very similar released into EA/coming soon, so we'll see.

Edit-looks like 1.8 million copies in EA.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The release version comes out today I think if not already. I haven't played it in a few months but they added stuff almost monthly for the past 2 years. They did change some stuff but building is as complete as ever. You also get the full sub, mini sub and prawn suit which is like a water mech. Most of the updates this past year was the alien places and finishing up the Aurora ship places to explore.

Down the road it looks like at least one DLC, but they said the game is about as complete as it can be and they have 9 million invested into it. Not sure how much of that was made back from EA purchases but the future content of the game depends on release sales.

The game filled a great void but now there is several new games very similar released into EA/coming soon, so we'll see.

Edit-looks like 1.8 million copies in EA.

i've never played but watched some streams. gonna pick this up.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
the release stream is so much lulz - it's so fucked but it will prob get them pr

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Looks pretty fun. I enjoyed the shit out of Empyrion and this looks like the same concept but with water.

Caliane

oh, this was bumped for release. didnt notice it.

that said, I did grab this a few days ago on a whim. I did not buy or play in early access at all. nor watched any of the streams or anything when it was a big thing. its pretty damn good. Ive been binging it since then. and thanks to unexpected no show on incoming work, just about to finish it up. 42hrs /played since the 28th. 5days.

I would say, highly recommend.

Its heavy exporation based. with some basebuilding. The survival elements are there, but are pretty light. Same with dangers really. if its one flaw, I would say none of the threats are actually threatening enough. They are all super easy to avoid. you can just swim circles around the biggest, most terrifying threats. And one of the silliest things, crush depth is handled very weird. your vehicles are subject to it. YOU are not. its a bit silly to have to leave you seamoth behind, to swim deeper. then get your prawn deep diving suit.. and get OUT of it in the middle of planet core magma fields at 1700meter depth..

the game is very pretty. There is some popin, and freezing issues. especially with large bases I hear. I have a fairly solid system, and would get freezing, when turning too fast, while loading new things.

my "more real" mode, would have much much darker oceans as well(in addition to instant kill monsters). the game is way too well lit for deep oceans. Pretty but again, makes it a bit easy.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So after seeing this on the trending among friends thinger and watching some gameplay vids on youtube last night (stayed up surprisingly late, its amazing how fast a 20 minute video flys by), I decided to pull the trigger today. Gift card from xmas is 33 cents short and there is a big delay on trying to sell any of my steam cards because I haven't been using the mobile authenticator. I installed it, but you have to be using it for 7 days before the marketplace delay is lifted. Since I don't want to add 5 bucks to my steam wallet just for 33 goddamn cents, im now waiting for refund approval on a 71 cent endless dungeon dlc.

mq2PgF3.jpg

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The first 2/3rds of this game is awesome, but it really gets unappealingly grindy in the last third. I ended up watching the CohhCarnage Youtube videos of the end because it was so bad going back and forth into the deepest parts.

It is very obvious that they spent a lot of time on the first parts of the game and then rushed the end to get it out which is sad. The base building and exploration for the first half of the game is just fantastic, maybe even the best survival/scavenging ever done.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No credit card on file to make up the difference?

The only way to make up the difference would be to put 5 bucks into my steam wallet, i can't split the transaction up into a 26.22 and .33 set of charges. I haven't bothered with a steam balance in ages, so I can't even remember if it would let me only toss 33 cents at it, or if it would take the entire 5 bucks which would leave me with an awkwardly small amount left over on the gift card but not small enough to just pitch it. So I'll just wait until the refund goes through and use the 71 cents or however much from the wallet and then pay the rest on the giftcard.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

fris

Vyemm Raider
i'm maybe 1/3rd into the game? just built cyclopes & prawn. just picked it up about a week ago. tons of fun and i'll confirm the creepiness of the game. i'm a grown ass man, and this game has me flutter kicking my feet as i run escape badies in the game.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The first 2/3rds of this game is awesome, but it really gets unappealingly grindy in the last third. I ended up watching the CohhCarnage Youtube videos of the end because it was so bad going back and forth into the deepest parts.

It is very obvious that they spent a lot of time on the first parts of the game and then rushed the end to get it out which is sad. The base building and exploration for the first half of the game is just fantastic, maybe even the best survival/scavenging ever done.

Game was most definitely not rushed just to get it out. It was in early access for like 3 years. I found that the game is I only as grindy as you make it. Too much running back and forth? Build another base closer to where you are.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seamoth got gibbed from like 70% health. Dunno if it was a physics bug (already had one where I got catapulted about 100 meters through the air) or if it was a big nasty that I didn't notice. Pretty annoying setback since it also took the freebie depth and storage upgrades with it, but I needed to get my first base built anyway so now I'm gonna work on that.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've been playing the over the last year and it's definately a fun game, and is pretty well polished now it's released. There's still some pretty annoying bugs, most of which I've reported in previous stages of development that still haven't been fixed, but hopefully there will be a post release bug fix update soon. I'd certainly recommend a purchase if you're into survival games though.