Succession

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My vote would go to Brian Cox. Logan was brilliant. Kieran would be a close second.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
How fucking dumb was it that Shiv took the position she did? It made ZERO FUCKING SENSE. And then the waiter guy that died ends up coming up OUT OF NOWHERE to make her and Roman literally act out of character. Even if they thought he was a monster, voting against him was NOT IN THEIR INTEREST.

I have lost all hope for any media that comes from a leftist network. I really hate to go there, but its true. That creative decision to shortstop Ken at the end after all of the development you gave to him, might be the dumbest fucking thing Ive ever watched on TV. And for what? For Tom to be the "Successor"? WHY? He didnt grow or do anything besides suck dick the entire show. The Roys lost, thats what the show was about. There was no successor. Awful.

edit: The dorky director guy with the glasses turned me off when I saw him talking on an after the episode video, I was surprised that the show was so good with a guy like him involved. Welp.

Just finished this up and it's like you didn't pay attention to the show at all. Shiv's entire thing was always betraying everyone she was supposed to be closest with. Tom, Senator guy, Kendall, Logan, etc. Just like how Kendall always got super close before self destructing and Roman would show flashes of brilliance but was overly emotional and immature.

If there was a complaint, it would be that nobody really changed at all over the run of the show. But I honestly don't find that to be a problem and is much more true to life

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Lol, everything Tom does is to advance his own position. It had nothing to do with protecting the company. That was the effect but it wasn't the motivation

It's not like being crowned king of Westeros. CEO for Matsson is a yes man position

Going to prison would kill any chance of advancement. Even if he got a light sentence, it's not like Waystar can hire the guy covering up their rapes and murders to a high position once he's released.

Taking the fall for Greg's role also doesn't advance him in any way. He's not a good person, but by far the closest to an actual human being out of any of them

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Going to prison would kill any chance of advancement. Even if he got a light sentence, it's not like Waystar can hire the guy covering up their rapes and murders to a high position once he's released.

Taking the fall for Greg's role also doesn't advance him in any way. He's not a good person, but by far the closest to an actual human being out of any of them

It would advance his position within the family. It's like doing a favour for Don Corleone

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It would advance his position within the family. It's like doing a favour for Don Corleone

I guess it's possible he'd believe that with Logan, but nobody would give a shit about what he did for Greg. Though I took him wanting to impregnate Shiv as a way to prevent her from leaving him and the only way to stay relevant after they had no use for him

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Just finished this up and it's like you didn't pay attention to the show at all. Shiv's entire thing was always betraying everyone she was supposed to be closest with. Tom, Senator guy, Kendall, Logan, etc. Just like how Kendall always got super close before self destructing and Roman would show flashes of brilliance but was overly emotional and immature.

If there was a complaint, it would be that nobody really changed at all over the run of the show. But I honestly don't find that to be a problem and is much more true to life

Slight changes.

Connor accepted his place as a buffoon with a woman who is with him for money but he is happy. we found out that he was always on the outside but he actually had a relationship with his dad none of the others had.

Roman accepted they are all full of shit not serious people.

Shive realized shes not a girl boss, and by trying to do her own thing removed her from any serious business future, so she takes her place as the wife of a powerful man to stay relevant.

Kendall is the only one not to change, but i would love to see his arc after this. He may truly be too far gone to change. He might be right that there is nothing else for him if he cant have waystar. He has nothing else and no worth.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think my wife and I started watching this sometime around when season 3 was ending. We only made it 7 or 8 episodes into the first season before kind of fizzling out. I picked it back up on my own a few weeks ago and really wanted to stay out of this thread, but I just finished up the Trump election episode, and I'm just super disappointed.

Really, I feel like everything after the Logan episode has just been kind of...off. The whole Shiv flying off the handle and allying herself with Mattson because I guess she's pissed she wasn't considered for a 3-person CEO thing just seemed super shoehorned for additional drama. Logan was right when he originally told her that she had no experience and therefore wasn't even in the conversation. His 5 or 6 year plan for her to get it was rational.

Anyway, the whole episode just reeked of propaganda in a very offputting way. Shiv constantly whinging about how electing Orange Hitler that "fascist Nazi" was the end of Democracy. Greg and the assistant talking about how "holy shit, is this happening, it's like launching the nukes." The funniest part to me being how it, just like the actual election, basically comes down to "well, his voters are fucking moronic hicks and the only reason he's actually President is the king-makers" as they whine about "the Republic" being in danger.

I'm worried that all the positive murmurs I heard about the ending are just because of the "we got him" folks doing a dance because the show "gets it right." I know I've only got 2 episodes left, but it doesn't seem like anyone talked about the episode pretty much at all in this thread.

That all said, Shiv is probably the worst character on the show (with one exception). They're all pretty terrible, but she's Kendall without the self reflection to realize she's fucking everything up. The actual worst character, as far as I'm concerned, is Greg's grandfather. Basically using the inheritance to try to fuck Greg into doing what he wants (give up any type of career he's built), constantly decrying the corporation as the greatest evil on the planet, as he's sitting there owing his entire financial position to the company. Everyone else for the most part at least owns up to what they are, but he's the giant hypocrite asshole.

So with that, I'll revisit the thread after two more episodes. Hopefully eating crow because the show didn't turn into a political drama reflecting on our current times, but rather goes back to what it was outside of this one episode. Hopefully also not covering a bunch of shit that everyone said for a dozen pages, either.

• 1Picard
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm so shocked that Gravel had this reaction.

Fear not, your TDS sensitivity is unlikely to get triggered more. This show isn't about politics and wasn't for that episode, either, despite your interpretation. It was just a vehicle to force the characters into extreme choices and positions.

I'm guessing your Shiv opinion will solidify. She can't be happy unless she gets her way but her reach always exceeds her grasp.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think my wife and I started watching this sometime around when season 3 was ending. We only made it 7 or 8 episodes into the first season before kind of fizzling out. I picked it back up on my own a few weeks ago and really wanted to stay out of this thread, but I just finished up the Trump election episode, and I'm just super disappointed.

Really, I feel like everything after the Logan episode has just been kind of...off. The whole Shiv flying off the handle and allying herself with Mattson because I guess she's pissed she wasn't considered for a 3-person CEO thing just seemed super shoehorned for additional drama. Logan was right when he originally told her that she had no experience and therefore wasn't even in the conversation. His 5 or 6 year plan for her to get it was rational.

Anyway, the whole episode just reeked of propaganda in a very offputting way. Shiv constantly whinging about how electing Orange Hitler that "fascist Nazi" was the end of Democracy. Greg and the assistant talking about how "holy shit, is this happening, it's like launching the nukes." The funniest part to me being how it, just like the actual election, basically comes down to "well, his voters are fucking moronic hicks and the only reason he's actually President is the king-makers" as they whine about "the Republic" being in danger.

I'm worried that all the positive murmurs I heard about the ending are just because of the "we got him" folks doing a dance because the show "gets it right." I know I've only got 2 episodes left, but it doesn't seem like anyone talked about the episode pretty much at all in this thread.

That all said, Shiv is probably the worst character on the show (with one exception). They're all pretty terrible, but she's Kendall without the self reflection to realize she's fucking everything up. The actual worst character, as far as I'm concerned, is Greg's grandfather. Basically using the inheritance to try to fuck Greg into doing what he wants (give up any type of career he's built), constantly decrying the corporation as the greatest evil on the planet, as he's sitting there owing his entire financial position to the company. Everyone else for the most part at least owns up to what they are, but he's the giant hypocrite asshole.

So with that, I'll revisit the thread after two more episodes. Hopefully eating crow because the show didn't turn into a political drama reflecting on our current times, but rather goes back to what it was outside of this one episode. Hopefully also not covering a bunch of shit that everyone said for a dozen pages, either.
I had a totally different take on Logan's brother than you did. He was one of the only folks who realized what utter fucking bullshit most of their lives were - even to the point that he openly acknowledges it. But at the same time, he does end up giving Logan his "credit" where it's due.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes, my Shiv opinion is solidified. She's the worst. I mean, they're all shitty people, but she really seemed to fuck her family in a special way. And the way she treated Tom was just atrocious. Actually, I don't think Roman ever really fucked the siblings like that, and Connor mostly stayed out of it (although he didn't really have the same dysfunction they did).

A few people mentioned it, but it's hard to really feel sorry for them when this "worst case" scenario is that they walk away with billions.

My only complaint about the last 1-2 episodes is that I feel like they really glossed over the whole fudged numbers thing. For the board that should've been a show stopper. If their numbers are bullshit, and their buyout is 50% stock still, uh, I'd be saying hold the fuck on. Passing it off as "well we dropped it during election chaos" seems like a cop out. The board would've still gotten that information and it should've put the brakes on any further action. Crazier, is that Kendall's plan to reverse it and acquire GoJo was actually sound. Maybe I missed something, but "muddling the Waystar acquisition with our shitty fake numbers and hoping no one notices" doesn't seem like it would've actually worked, especially when people on the board know about it.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
and Connor mostly stayed out of it (although he didn't really have the same dysfunction they did).

are you sure canadian GIF by CBC

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Slight changes.

Connor accepted his place as a buffoon with a woman who is with him for money but he is happy. we found out that he was always on the outside but he actually had a relationship with his dad none of the others had.

Roman accepted they are all full of shit not serious people.

Shive realized shes not a girl boss, and by trying to do her own thing removed her from any serious business future, so she takes her place as the wife of a powerful man to stay relevant.

Kendall is the only one not to change, but i would love to see his arc after this. He may truly be too far gone to change. He might be right that there is nothing else for him if he cant have waystar. He has nothing else and no worth.

My guy, Kendall has been shown staring over the balcony of very tall New York buildings a few times when things were dicey...his story arc is that he takes the plunge.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Connor wasn't seeking his father's approval. Which is what I think had the other children constantly trying to take each other down, ultimately leaving them all with the conclusion they got. In fact, I'd say Connor had the opposite problem where he somewhat loathed his father for putting his mother in an asylum.

There was one other odd, minor thing from the finale that I was also wondering about. That is Tom when he's basically getting all his "atta boy's" asking where Karolina is. It didn't amount to anything, he never talked to her, and I'm not entirely sure where the setup came for it. Seems like maybe a bunch of stuff got cut and that was supposed to be...something?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anyway, the whole episode just reeked of propaganda in a very offputting way.

The point of this episode was to show Roman/Kendall failing to emulate Logan as Kingmakers and getting screwed over by Mencken. This is reinforcing the idea that neither of them is ready to step into his shoes, a recurring theme of the season and series as a whole.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The point of this episode was to show Roman/Kendall failing to emulate Logan as Kingmakers and getting screwed over by Mencken. This is reinforcing the idea that neither of them is ready to step into his shoes, a recurring theme of the season and series as a whole.
100%.

Did they need to steep it in "fascism" and "end of democracy" hysteria? Deny it all you want, there were real world political overtones all over it. They could've very easily cut all that out and nothing was lost. It was purposeful.

• 1Tiresome

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
100%.

Did they need to steep it in "fascism" and "end of democracy" hysteria? Deny it all you want, there were real world political overtones all over it. They could've very easily cut all that out and nothing was lost. It was purposeful.

The show is literally based on the Murdoch family media empire. What rock have you been living under to not be aware that their news channels and newspapers lean right, that Rupert Murdoch has been consistently demonised throughout his career for both his politics and his ability to play Kingmaker. The phrase "It was the Sun wot won it" is infamous here.

It's bizarre that you're only realising in the final season that the politics of Succession loosely mirror real life politics - did you miss the Bernie Sanders character in prev seasons? Or how about the episode where a bunch of high level Republicans got together to choose the candidate and Roman revealed himself as an alt-right 4chan edgelord?

85% of this forum is probably jerking off every night into the barrels of their M4 machine gun sniper rifles at the thought of another civil war, meanwhile you're out here complaining that a TV show is too satirical

Edit: were the ATN news headlines in every episode not a clue to the satirical direction this show was taking?

1691435168298.png

1691435370059.png

"Like many, I had a hard time getting through the third-to-last episode, America Decides, in which a sinister, fascist-leaning Republican named Jeryd Mencken spoils the expected victory by Democrat Daniel Jiménez, with help from a dubiously early call by ATN"

If both woke Guardian writers and MAGA FOH big brains are complaining that episode cut too close to the bone then it must be mission accomplished in terms of the satire landing.

Last edited:
  • 1Garbage

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

The idea that any of them actually care about being "ready" or "the right choice" for the company is nonsense.

• 1Picard

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The idea that any of them actually care about being "ready" or "the right choice" for the company is nonsense.

What?

A) I never said anything about what the kids think

B) their opinions don't change the fact the whole show is about the suc

Fuck, why am I even both

Last edited: