Suggestions for a new author / series of books for me to read?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep and Deepness in the Sky. Both great books, loosely tied together so read them in that order. I cannot recommend these highly enough for lovers of sci-fi. Both were Hugo winners.

He also has essentially a standalone book, Marooned in Realtime, that has a prequel set of two books, The Peace War and The Ungoverned, though I read Marooned in Realtime first.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I figured I'd post here rather than create a whole new thread - does anyone have any sci fi (or space opera would I guess be a more accurate term for what I'm after) suggestions
In no particular order :

Use of Weapons - Ian Banks
The Neutronium Alchemist - Peter F Hamilton
Pretty much anything by Alistair Reynolds
Cryoburn - Lois McMaster Bujold
Peacekeeper - Laura Reeve
Old Man's War - John Scalzi
Trading in Danger - ElizabethMoon
Iron Sunrise - Charles Stross
On Basilisk Station - David Weber
Soothsayer - Mike Resnick
A Soldier's Duty - Jean Johnson
Emerald Eyes - Daniel Keys Moran ( more space opera'ey after first book )
Valor's Choice - Tanya Huff
Dust - Elizabeth Bear
Sten - Chris Bunch

velk

Trakanon Raider
I loved the setting. How are the follow up books? Haven't started any of them yet.
Obviously not as original, but I liked them, other than Zoe's Tale which bugged me a bit - sometimes the same story from someone else's point of view can be interesting, but this one did not work for me.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Peter F. Hamilton - Commonwealth Saga (Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained)
These, along with the Void trilogy that takes place in the same universe, were kind of weird for me. I didn't really think any of it was the most amazing writing in the world, but damn if I didn't enjoy the hell out of reading all of them. Some of the most "fun" books I've ever read. They just fall short of stuff with more depth like the Hyperion stuff.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just purchased The Chronicles of the Black Company, and I am looking for more series like this.

Completed series.I don't want to be hanging on the hook like I am with fucking Martin. Thanks!
Malazan series. Heavily influenced by The Black Company, and it shows. Great stuff, and one Author is finished (Ten books + novellas). The other author is not finished, but you don't have to read both. Their books are in the same world covering mostly different characters/story arcs.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I picked up the Dresdan files on a whim about a month ago, and I am going to add my recommendation into the list. Currently on book three and I have to say they are enjoyable. It's no GMM series of 1000 page epics, but it's a great burn through a weekend kind of book. I'm really not into heavy heavy reading like GMM so this fits me perfectly.

Antagonist_sl

shitlord
The Passage by Justin Cronin had a Stephen King/Crichton vibe. I think his daughters asked him to write a vampire story like twilight so he wrote about a vampire apocalypse. It isn't terrible.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Anyone read The Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham? Was browsing a few sites looking for a new series and it was recommended rather highly, but I hadn't heard anything about it before. The first book is The Dragon's Path. Looking for a new epic fantasy series to try out.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone read The Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham? Was browsing a few sites looking for a new series and it was recommended rather highly, but I hadn't heard anything about it before. The first book is The Dragon's Path. Looking for a new epic fantasy series to try out.
I started it and got maybe 1/3 of the way through the first book before I gave up. Just NOTHING happened. I didn't give a shit about any of the characters, there was zero plot development, and I really just had no idea what was going on. I really tried, as I've seen it gets good reviews, and I've read several books/series that take a long time to really get going. It really just had nothing going for it to keep me motivated to keep going.

I rarely give up on a book or series, I've read literally hundreds of fantasy/sci-fi novels.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
I started it and got maybe 1/3 of the way through the first book before I gave up. Just NOTHING happened. I didn't give a shit about any of the characters, there was zero plot development, and I really just had no idea what was going on. I really tried, as I've seen it gets good reviews, and I've read several books/series that take a long time to really get going. It really just had nothing going for it to keep me motivated to keep going.

I rarely give up on a book or series, I've read literally hundreds of fantasy/sci-fi novels.
Disappointing to hear. I put it down the list for now and picked up the Lies of Locke Lamora instead. Thanks for the feedback.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Whomever recommended teh Acacia Trilogy, thank you. It really seemed like there was going to be more at the end.

Skimming the thread for a new series.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider

After Locke Lamora i decided to pick this up anyway. Big mistake. Boring characters, setting, prose, plot. Forced myself through it hoping it would end and set up the next book nicely, but nope. Might be top 3 for worst fantasy I've ever read.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
After Locke Lamora i decided to pick this up anyway. Big mistake. Boring characters, setting, prose, plot. Forced myself through it hoping it would end and set up the next book nicely, but nope. Might be top 3 for worst fantasy I've ever read.
Well, thanks for justifying me giving up on it.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Anyone recommend Neal Stephenson yet? Cryptonomicon and Baroque cycle please.