Suggestions for a new author / series of books for me to read?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe the worst book I've ever read. Exacerbated by how insanely over-hyped it is. I wanted to kill myself 5 pages in to Hiro's 15 page retarded explanation of space word viruses.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the Black Company recommend, no idea how I have never heard of it before.

REAMDE by Neal Stephenson was pretty fun. If you want to break your brain, read his book Anathem.

Sterling

El Presidente
Black Company is awesome. I didn't hate Snowcrash quite as much as Grim does but it is vastly overrated.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Wasn't overrated when I read it, sorry kiddies.

Also: Elenium Trilogy by Eddings. I personally prefer the Belgariad but the Elenium is honestly better written. They're not grimdark or groundbreaking or going to change your life in any sort of meaningful manner, they're just well-written fantasy with good characters. Just...be aware that his sequel series are more of a "Let's get the gang back together and let it roll" rather than honest sequels (for both Belgariad->Mallorean & Elenium->Tamuli).

And don't read his later books.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Have you read them anytime recently?

I enjoyed them when I was a kid, but now I read them and I groan at the writing. They definitely do not hold up.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Wasn't overrated when I read it, sorry kiddies.

Also: Elenium Trilogy by Eddings. I personally prefer the Belgariad but the Elenium is honestly better written. They're not grimdark or groundbreaking or going to change your life in any sort of meaningful manner, they're just well-written fantasy with good characters. Just...be aware that his sequel series are more of a "Let's get the gang back together and let it roll" rather than honest sequels (for both Belgariad->Mallorean & Elenium->Tamuli).

And don't read his later books.
Except didn't Mallorean come up with some random reason to leave out half the characters from the Belgariad?

Honestly, best stuff Eddings has written was the Belgariad prequels about Belgarath and his daughter. It's fun watching them run around the world for thousands of years doing wizard shit and generally watching the setting's civilization develop and the world set up for the fulfillment of the prophecies, as long as you have a strong suspension of disbelief (or have never ever in your life studied history).

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Thanks for the Black Company recommend, no idea how I have never heard of it before.
Thanks from me as well, I just finished the last in the series and I want moar.

For now though, I'd love to get some ideas for COMPLETED fantasy series books to read. I grow weary and old waiting for the next book to drop from unfinished series.

I enjoy books like the Black Company and The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson.

Sterling

El Presidente
Thanks from me as well, I just finished the last in the series and I want moar.

For now though, I'd love to get some ideas for COMPLETED fantasy series books to read. I grow weary and old waiting for the next book to drop from unfinished series.

I enjoy books like the Black Company and The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson.
Could always read the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. Not as good as some of the other stuff mentioned but it's an interesting take on things and already completed.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
A bunch of the David Gemmell books might interest you. They are sort of stand-alone, although they are in the same world and several of them tie-in (and there might even be a direct sequel or two), and you don't have to worry about any more because, unfortunately, he's dead. I'll admit that upon subsequent reads the writing is not as polished as a lot of other authors, but it has a certain visceral feel to it that still makes it worth the read, I feel.

The Drenai series is where I would start, and the first book is Legend, and it just fucking blew me away when I read it. It is about this guy named Druss who used to be a badass, but now he's gotten older and hung up his axe. Until he comes out of retirement for one last battle, dun dun DUN! It is really a nice twist on the standard fare, and it really typifies how this world isn't really about heroes and legends...even though it is, of course. It contains one of my favorite scenes in any book, second only to the page I opened to the very first time I picked up The Black Company in a bookstore back in the 80s to see if I'd like it (when Raven is joining the Company and chokes his wife to death).

I'm going to post it here because it really has nothing to do with the overall story, but I'll spoiler it just in case some want to experience it the first time in the context of the book. Those of you that have already read it might enjoy seeing the part that really solidified the book as an all-time favorite for me. (Formatting is shit, sorry.)

?You old bastard!? Dorian had gathered up his longsword and was advancing toward
Druss, who stood with arms folded, waiting.
?No,? said Pinar. ?Put up your blade, Dorian.?
?Back off or draw your sword,? Dorian told him. ?I have had enough of these games.
You think you are a warrior, old man? Then let us see you use that ax. Because if you
don?t, I will put some air in your belly.?
?Boy,? said Druss, his eyes cold, ?think well about this venture. For make no mistake,
you cannot stand before me and live. No man ever has.? The words were spoken softly,
yet no one disbelieved the old man.
Except Dorian.
?Well, we shall see. Draw your blade!?
Druss slipped Snaga from its sheath, his broad hand curling around its black haft.
Dorian attacked!
And died.
He lay on the ground, head half-severed from his neck. Druss hammered Snaga deep
into the earth, cleansing the blade of blood, while Pinar stood in stunned silence. Dorian
had not been a great swordsman, but he certainly had been skilled. Yet the old man had
batted aside the slashing sword and in one flowing motion had returned the attack?all
without moving his feet. Pinar looked down at the body of his former companion. You
should have stayed at the Dros, he thought.
?I did not want that to happen,? said Druss, ?but I gave him fair warning. The choice
was his.?

...skipped a little small talk...

?Are you really going back, Hagir?? asked one of the men.
?Yes. Yes, I am.?
?But why?? urged another. ?Nothing has changed. Except that we shall all be on
report and probably flogged.?
?It?s him?he?s going there. The Captain of the Ax.?
?Druss! That was Druss??
?Yes, I am sure of it.?
?How sickening!? said the other.
?What do you mean, Somin?? asked Hagir.
?Dorian?Druss was Dorian?s hero. Don?t you remember him talking about him? Druss
this and Druss that. It is one reason he joined up?to be like Druss and maybe even to
meet him.?

?Well, he met him,? said Hagir somberly.
In retrospect, not as awesome as I remember it, but at the time it blew me away. It still stands out in my mind as a particularly memorable scene though, with how nonchalant Druss is about the whole thing.

Some other series to try, which you might have already, would be anything by Abercrombie (technically done, although each book is still set in the same world so you never know when an old character might pop up. They are "complete" though even if someone shows up later in a new one), the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks (done), and the ten Malazan books mentioned earlier (done, but random side stories here and there). Mistborn by Sanderson has a complete first trilogy that stands alone, but he's writing more (of course he is!) hundreds of years in the future that are awesome too.

Some older ones worth checking out if you haven't already are the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny and The Misplaced Legion (4 books) by Harry Turtledove. And if you are in the mood for some real classics, all the Eternal Champion books by Michael Moorcock (Elric in particular, then Corum and Erekose, then Hawkmoon if you're really desperate, and then literally dozens of others if you are masochistic). I'm assuming you've already read Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through by Donaldson. If not, check them out since you like his writing.

I'm sure there are countless more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that are "done" and fantasy-ish.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was looking at the Abercrombie books and thought they might be good. But I've written them all down and am headed to the local bookstore.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Snowcrash was ok, reading Seveneves by Stephenson now and will let you know how it is when I'm done. Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but R. Scott Bakker's prince of nothing is great fantasy with a historical feel. Very strong world building.