Summer in Vail

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
My wife and I are planning on driving from Missouri to Vail, CO for 4 nights at the end of July. We are planning on farting around on a resort/mountain, renting mountain bikes and going white water rafting. Any other suggestions (or better locations in CO)? I've been to Winter Park during ski season but I don't really remember much about it.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
One of my best friends goes with a group every summer to do downhill trail riding, he says its amazing. I will find out if there are any must include places.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Vail is fantastic. I own a condo up in Keystone (not too far from Vail), and you'll be near the "big 4" mountains in CO - each with their own charms/quirks. Summertime is the best time to go as well imo. Nothing better than sitting on a patio in the Colorado mountains drinking cold beer and checking out girls. There are a lot of little independent white water rafting places down in Breckenridge from what I remember. Did it once several years ago and it was fun. You can also do zip-lining and stuff like that. When I go now, I'm pretty inactive and just sit and drink and relax. Great weather, great scenery. Even just driving around the mountains is tons of fun. The drive into Aspen is absolutely fantastic.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
One of my best friends goes with a group every summer to do downhill trail riding, he says its amazing. I will find out if there are any must include places.
Be very, very careful if you aren't an experienced mountain biker. Downhill biking is dangerous as all hell. It's also one of the most exhilarating action sports around, if that floats your boat. I love it personally, but I've also managed to avoid any severe crashes up to this point.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Were probably going to stick to the cross-country beginner/intermediate trails. I do cardio 4-5 a week but I wonder how much harder it will be at 7k-8k feet hah.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Spend a day after you get there not doing a lot and you will be OK. You will notice the difference however. I go backpacking in CO or WY nearly every summer and if I don't acclimate myself for a day or two I suffer the entire time. If I get there and lounge around and sight see a little for a day or two it goes pretty smoothly.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
You might wanna check out Glenwood Springs. It's about 30 miles west of Vail and there's lots of outdoor stuff to do, especially river stuff (white water kayaking, floating, etc.).

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Would personally recommend you stay in Breckenridge, Frisco, Buena Vista, or aspen rather than Vail. Vail is nice for driving around and looking at big houses and not much else in my experience.

drive south about 60-90min to Buena Vista for all your rafting needs, browns canyon and numbers are two of the most amazing rafting experiences in the country. two companies to check out are; Adrift and Nova guides

climb a 14er; mount massive and mount elbert are also just south of vail. both are easy hikes and are the two tallest mountains in colorado. if you dont want to hike a mountain then at least hike up to a mountain lake( ex.http://www.hikinggpsshop.com/favorite/lostor Hanging lake near glenwood springs)

go to Mango's in Red cliff and eat fish tacos and drink outside on the patio(free bus to and from vail)

spend an afternoon riding the Georgetown or Leadville trains. very scenic and good lazy-day stuff for fat people or people with altitude sickness. wildflowers should be peaking around then.

find a local festival to go to. most summer weekends you can find a beerfest, bbqfest, music/arts fest..
http://www.summitdaily.com/Entertainment/Calendar/
can be helpful