SWG Emulators

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I got the bug to play this again, and saw someone on a discord that was "in-game Star Wars Galaxies" and so here I am again out in the desert giving myself radiation sickness digging up radioactive materials.

There are a few servers at various stages of the game's life. What I really wanted was the early days of the ground game with the modern space stuff and ground content, but such a server doesn't exist sadly.

Years ago when I looked around there was a popular pre-combat upgrade server and I think that one is still going called SWGEmu.

The one I'm on now is post NGE era and has Jump To Lightspeed, which is the space combat stuff called SWG Legends. I've been on it for a few days and I'm kind of astonished at how much is working. I haven't really run into any missing stuff yet.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
shrine.png

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
The SWG NGE official server code was leaked at one point, so it's really no surprise that a NGE server is working.
It's pretty rad, tbh, that the game lives on in many forms. Unfortunately the game is in intellectual property hell and wouldn't be able to be officially restored due to bad deals being made.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Ok that makes sense because it has seemed scary accurate. Like even old server side bugs I remember are still there haha. Hopefully the lawyers stay away.

Someone is working on a nicer client that really looks lovely, probably for next year. If you took all the art bits at their highest res and stuck em in a real engine, it really would look pretty good. Back when it was made though it was all imposters and popping LODS and chunky terrain (and still ran terribly).

I'm having fun with legends. Making mining machines and plopping em down all over the galaxy.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
They are testing a fix for the server side memory leaks that cause them to need to reboot every 6 hours. Hope it works but they warned there may be rollbacks.

I'm diggin up mustafar aluminium while I wait on agnarr

Also I should mention, there are problems with password length. I tend to use super long passwords, and the website takes those fine, but the game login is chopped to 32 characters.

LennyLeonard

Trakanon Raider
I'm still on an emulator itch, so went digging. I never got to play much SWG when it was live, so it's still all new to me. Apparently SWGLegends has the Jump to Lightspeed expansion working now with ship piloting? Again, never played this when live, so I don't really know what each expac did, but I did love me some Xwing and Tie Fighter back in the day. Going to try this out this weekend I think.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea legends has all the pilot stuff I think. I barely remember writing the above, but I do remember doing missions and mining asteroids.

LennyLeonard

Trakanon Raider
Ah cool. I tried some SWG server a while back, but they didn't have piloting as far as I can tell. I don't know if it's a server specific thing (implementation challenges, server infrastructure limits?) but cool to see things are making advances in that area.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I got a strange urge for this recently and ended up just grabbing and compiling the swgemu server source. It surprisingly is very easy to build and get running.

We immediately ran into things we wanted changed. It is doable but can be tricksy depending on what you are changing. Like in the original vehicles were very speed limited because pcs just couldn't load stuff in fast enough. We've doubled the speed of all vehicles and it works pretty well, but sometimes you can end up exactly in the middle of a camp of enemies that spawned in front of you. There's still nearby info updated from the server to come down to your client.

I'm also trying to dial back some of the hamfisted exploit prevention stuff. Like scout camps are these little tents and a fire to hang out in when you are fighting near a lair. People kept finding ways to break them so they kept changing them to be more and more useless. I've changed them back to how they should be - a spot to hang out in and heal up between fights near a enemy lair.

Before the change if any fighting happened nearby you'd "abandon" the camp and get zero xp for all the time you spent in there. If you went just a few feet away and fought something, bam gone.

We've wanted to increase the available skill points but that hasn't gone well so far. Same with the "mask scent" skill that scouts get. It is only really useful when cruising around on a vehicle, so it makes sense that you should be able to use it while driving. That change hasn't worked, though I think it would on a fresh server.

Anyway, good time to play with it if you have a starwars craving. There's no piloting in this version but you can tell they are working on it.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Piloting really isn't being worked on. I saw a couple branches for it, but really nothing was ever changed. I think they are focused on a complete ground to a certain patch before they get deep into it.

It will be a mountain of tedious work for whoever does it. Lots of conversations and such. All the speech of the trainers (errors and all) are there in the client files and string tables, it just all needs the dots connected.

In the meantime I got sick of spending all my money on shuttles, so I threw together a hack to get the ship terminals working so you can pretend you have a ship and travel for free.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't there a bigger SWG EMU Thread?

Finalizer is up and running for those that are interested.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Most people I know are waiting on a classic / early ground game with piloting. My ideal would be right around the village time period with piloting.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I planned to jump on there a few weekends ago but my discs are in storage due to a remodel, also Valheim. I used to 3 box the game so I have 3 sets of discs, excited to get my boys on there and show them the MMO that started it all for me. It is because of SWG that I got into MMOs and eventually found this shit hole.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
BTW, I was watching Ellohime and he mentioned he is playing on resto3. I started a character there, and it seems to be skillboxes but with levels, so right around the first combat upgrade, and has JTL space flyin action. That's a really good combo.

When I started my face had the texture of a jungle on it so I screwed up my looks so I'm going to start over but be warned: The space missions that spawn enemies at waypoints don't seem to despawn if the player fails. So my second mission there was a huge crowd of ships around where I was supposed to fight. Might have to wait for a server reset or make a bunch of money and buy a decent ship.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
This server is really nice. Combat upgrade means you can have challenging group "dungeons" and such. The piloting stuff is solid. Crafting xp seems sped up a bit (I've mastered droids / ships / artisan), and it seems to have a few custom systems.

screenShot0022.jpg

Some kind of custom serverwide progression thing for unlocking bits of mustafar content. I haven't been to wookieland yet but I think all of that is open.

Server kept the quest lines from the "future" NGE. Some of the rewards seem to go missing but otherwise it seems to work with the older systems. Good way to make money to pay your crafter's way through college.

The force stuff looks very custom too. There's a custom gump for showing your "progress" that gives a few tiny hints. I haven't gotten anywhere with it yet. Been kind of splitting time between this and Embers.

One nice thing is you start out able to make 2 characters. A third can be unlocked via a quest, and you can log in all 3 at once if you want. No need for multiple accounts.

Making stuff is great here too. They seem to have really cranked up resource spawns. Concentrations seem easier to find as well.

The usual / classic crafting in SWG is: Load up a schematic, see that it needs Blortallius Copper and there is none. So you wait, possibly months, for it to spawn. With this server it seems like everything is up all the time, and you can almost always find decent quality and just go dig it up.

This site: Current Resources for SWG Restoration 3 often has good info on what is up where. Past few days I've made cert level 7 ship parts and working on droids.

The only downside to this server is that it has a tiny bit of that NGE jank about it as they sort of de-aged the NGE stuff back to combat upgrade era. And some of the old infuriating bugs are still around like trying to type a /slash command and it coming out slash/

• 1Like