SWTOR

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The PvP isn't anywhere close to being balanced at max level, some melee are currently overpowered across the board and people are queueing up to warzones for various pve reasons with no skill, gear, or attempt at being useful.

Actually, PvP while leveling up isn't so bad because no one needs gear and classes don't have all of their bullshit movement abilities until 51/61.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
MMO PVP = low expectations. Once you accept that, it gets easier. As retarded super srs as WoW PVP quickly became I welcome this unbalanced mess because at least it isn't absurdly overcomplex.

Its casual mode enough that really, who gives a shit if you are a class that is automatically focused not because you are dangerous but because of an absolute inability to do anything about it? It's not like the rest of the classes have infinite cooldowns that last forever. Just don't charge in like a dumbass. Make sure they are shooting someone else, first.

If you want to troll a jugg as a mercenary, never use blazing bolts. Give them blueballs while they hold back saber ward for it. Laugh and laugh while they wait. Try not to question why an ability as insanely powerful as saber ward isn't channeled.

I find it more enjoyable than wow PVP simply because a) I have a perfectly valid excuse for not being any good at it thanks to my class and b) hardcore pvp gives you fucking nothing anyway.

Also, I actually managed to win a 4v4 and I wasn't even the only merc dps on my side. They had a healer and basically every fotm PVP class you can have. Shit happens.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Spent the weekend playing and gearing up my Tactics Vanguard. Ezmode damage. Bad healers I could outright destroy, middling healers I could heavily pressure and kill with timing on my stuns, good healers I could pressure enough to make them take me seriously. Still don't have my rotations down (and it's PvP so half the time that's not even applicable) but even without all Exemplar and only a couple of pieces augmented it's just so much better and a hell of a lot sturdier. I mean, which designer thought it was a good idea to give them 30% damage reduction from stun AND 30% AE damage reduction without a Utility on top of whatever minimal benefit you get from heavy armor.

There's a lot wrong with PvP at the moment but it's generally variations on the same theme we've had since release. They really need to change the way stuns work and do something about damage output. You should never run the risk of being globeled in the course of a 3s stun.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
VGs seem only slightly less squishy than commando imo. They still have shitty defensive cooldowns. They're just better at being a glass cannon. You can't go wrong attacking any trooper/bh first.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yeah, anything more than 2 people hitting me and I went down like a sack of meat. Which seemed to be a lot. People really don't like PT/VG these days (I wonder why). Without any defensives it's really about culling the herd, and even then you have to know when to cut your losses. They stack really well though. Two Pt/VG combo with Assault Plastique and a 4-stack Cell Burst is potentially something like 60-80k damage in a two global cooldowns right out of the gate. Shit, one reg Arena I hit 60k protection before my first AE taunt wore off going up against two of them and a slinger.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
C'mon, you know Darth Marr won that poll. It's a bit harder to put his pieces back together though.

I think I just committed myself to two nights a week of HM ops. Which given how much loot they throw out probably means winning the game on at least the mercenary by Christmas.

HK-55 "oh boy another companion I won't use because he'll be 20-30 ranks behind my top 7 by the time I get him"

It's a rather big flaw in their chapter-gated companion pokemon system, unless they plan on implementing ways to catch them up.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yeah, with as easy as it is to level these days, even without the 12x boost, I see a lot of people asking for double influence or something similar instead of the double xp they've announced.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
downloading this after not playing for 3+ years, What do I need to know? I have 4000 cartel coins for what its worth...

ill go back a few pages but wasnt sure if there was some returning player primer out there...

moontayle

Golden Squire
For you?

Coins -> Rocket boots. Inventory/Cargo unlocks. The other major thing is collection unlocks like color crystals and full outfit sets, but you probably won't have any of those. It's worth it to buy an Endurance or Power/Crit Crystal from the GTN (make sure and get one with the cartel symbol on it), then unlock it and never have to worry about that again.

It's been a while so start over from scratch and just relearn the game. It's not hard, just different from what it used to be. Different enough at least.

Purple quests are the ones you want to pick up and do as you go along. Everything else is just flavor. Most flashpoints have a solo mode, good exp. Good chance you'll be well enough along by the end of Chapter One that you'll start getting level sunc down to the max level for whatever planet you're on.

Game is ezmode now, moreso than it ever was.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
cool thanks moontayle.

Are referral codes still good for anything even though I have a legacy account or whatever?

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yes and there's a few around. Iv'e already gotten all my rewards so if anyone else wants it feel free to use theirs. You'll get some stuff to help.

Oh, and definitely sub, even if for a month. This is not the game to F2P.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Referral codes are currently down cause shenanigans were going on, no idea when they'll be back.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Does the pre-order crystal work this way too? Would rather not blow 500k on all my dual wielders
smile.png

Edit. Seems the shit one is in collections but the higher level one isnt. Seems pretty pointless as its basically free anyway, oh well

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Buy a 136 cartel market crystal (+41 crit etc, can use at level 10) for like 100-150k on the GTN then unlock it for the rest of your legacy for 60cc or whatever it is. You can then make unlimited copies on all your chars. You'll get the most mileage out of crit crystals (eviscerating)

The trick is avoiding the fuck ugly ones.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Buy a 136 cartel market crystal (+41 crit etc, can use at level 10) for like 100-150k on the GTN then unlock it for the rest of your legacy for 60cc or whatever it is. You can then make unlimited copies on all your chars. You'll get the most mileage out of crit crystals (eviscerating)

The trick is avoiding the fuck ugly ones.
Yeah, guess I'll do that, I like the pre-order colour though =/

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whats the easiest class to do pve stuff with? Might fuck around with this when I get my new PC in a few days to get in the Star Wars mood. Havent played since like 4-5 months after the game released no idea what's good. My highest was a BH mercenary but I remember it sucking balls compared to my Juggernaut...idk if they got better.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
I'm looking for similar advice. Haven't played since like 3 months of launch. I have a lvl 30 Sith Warr, Operative, BH and Trooper. I kinda wanna relearn the game so I was juggling between the idea of doing a smuggler (the melee version, not sharpshooter) or jedi sentinel.

I think the sentinel would be fun since it plays like my Sith Warrior but how are smugglers? Are they any good?

Also,
What are some good resources on guides that are up to date on this game?

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
SWTOR Archives - Dulfy

That site has current guides (not all, some are still being worked on) for a lot of the builds in 4.0. Pretty sure that Sniper/Gunslinger and Vanguard/Powertech are some of the better PvE classes at the moment.