SWTOR

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
So if I am understanding this correctly... because their game engine is such utter shit they couldn't invent a UI feature or menu modification to allow testers to "Ding! Level 55! Free Commendations!"... they had to create an actual quest object.
The Alpha Hero engine is the Greatest game engine ever just ask Moontalye!

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
Like it has been explained before, the engine did not automatically make the game bad. It was the company that failed to reach the goals that it should have. Not that it's even worth trying to explain it to you, though. So go carry on with your inane broken English posts.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The Alpha Hero engine is the Greatest game engine ever just ask Moontalye!
I dare you... DARE YOU... to find one post of mine saying that this engine is even close to that. Until such a time as you can find said post, kindly fuck off.

Downloaded and checked things out a bit. Right now it's nearly impossible to get anything resembling a good feel but my initial impression is that they've made some good changes here. Things need tweaking, obviously. Did a warzone and everyone was stuttering around so much that I couldn't do shit. The new armor looks are... interesting. The new Assassin ability is fucking jessu. Need to play around with it more to figure out the best use for it, but I can see all sorts of good things coming from it. Oh, and much crying from people who don't understand the mechanic.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
So if I am understanding this correctly... because their game engine is such utter shit they couldn't invent a UI feature or menu modification to allow testers to "Ding! Level 55! Free Commendations!"... they had to create an actual quest object.
That's a dumb complaint. Placing a quest with enough xp to give you the new max level is probably the fastest way to do it, no point in writing an elaborate UI function. That said those preliminary notes do not excite me at all. It basically refers to lvl55 changes a few times without any details, thats it. I believe a level increase is a bad idea because it removes some content from the "max level content" list and I doubt they add as much new content to replace it, lat alone more.

I've not kept up enough with the game but is a level increase needed to flush bad itemization scaling or anything like that? otherwise keeping the highest amount of content relevant would seem like the best move.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Welcome to level 55, now you have 4 dungeons instead of all of them. Also we're not adding any. have fun!

The best thing SWTOR did for the mmo genre were the tortanic videos and

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ouch. I thought the power increase was such that the old hard modes were to stay relevant as the first gear up along with the old raids. Hence adding BH+ gear to them.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Welcome to level 55, now you have 4 dungeons instead of all of them. Also we're not adding any. have fun!
Thats funny because in WoW or Rift or any other modern MMORPG, its the same shit. You have essentially 1-2 raid dungeon(s) with 5+ bosses you do over and over again, until the devs grace you with another patch in 4+ months adding another 5 bosses. Oh and dailies....

The point being is that this type of endgame is destined to fail regardless of the game or the studio making it.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Thats funny because in WoW or Rift or any other modern MMORPG, its the same shit. You have essentially 1-2 raid dungeon(s) with 5+ bosses you do over and over again, until the devs grace you with another patch in 4+ months adding another 5 bosses. Oh and dailies....

The point being is that this type of endgame is destined to fail regardless of the game or the studio making it.
No shit, this is a WoW clone? I didnt realize. You are right that this approach falls down, and you'd think this being 2013 and the MMO landscape littered with failed WoW clones, they would realize this and try to take another route. Especially considering that their corpse is among of the bigger ones.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No shit, this is a WoW clone? I didnt realize. You are right that this approach falls down, and you'd think this being 2013 and the MMO landscape littered with failed WoW clones, they would realize this and try to take another route. Especially considering that their corpse is among of the bigger ones.
Everything you say is true. They just went the safe mode way, except it really wasn't safe, was it? The problem with these games is that they take so long to complete, that all this shit probably sounded like a good idea back in 2005 or 2006 when this game was initially conceptualized. But here we are 6- 7 yrs later and the entire scope of the mmorpg world has changed. Its like trying to predict the future. This is why you hear games like EQ next and others scrapping 2-3 iterations of the game during the design process.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
With that in mind, I sure as fuck wouldn't give any MMO devs money. Maybe MAYBE if they could develop something for 20 million or less and get somewhere between EQ original and current EVE numbers as a target. Wasn't the original WoW for 30 million or less? Or was it 50? Aren't all these new tools supposed to make development somewhat easier if used appropriately?

Next big thing will have to be indie I think. Niche. And it's going to be by gamers for gamers. Unknowns in the dev world.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Thing is they made this WoW clone, crashed hard, fired all their staff, had to go F2P to prevent the servers being shut down. And then they focus their effort on making it more WoWy with new levels/gear/skills in this "expansion" that with just a I admit cursory glance will make most of the current cap content obsolete? I just dont get how the team working on this game thought that would be a good move. Would have been nice if they dared to think outside the Blizzard box.

In my obviously unqualified opinion introducing more planets as lvl50 content that slowy advanced the item tiers while also making bi-monthly events similar to the rakghoul event from last year would've been better. Make it free and rely on the cash shop like a real F2P game, too. You could always tie in item shop crap with the events so it wouldnt seem to be as blatant a cash grab (sorta like GW2 but being smarter about it). Or if F2P is to stay just to sucker people into subs, make the planets cheap DLC in the 5-15 bucks range.

Rhuobhe

N00b
To answer Izo: No, I just like and play the game.

Yes, new set of dailies which give you Rep consumables, daily tokens, and the Gree event token off the single Heroic daily. There's also a single boss raid instance and two world bosses. The QQ comes from the two missions that are in a "small group PvP" section of Ilum. One of them requires that you put yourself in harm's way since it has you taking an item you pick up to the exact middle and deposit it on a clickable object that takes 6 seconds to "cast" and you can be interrupted. Once you get through the cast it takes about a minute to reset. You have to do this four times, though one person doing it counts for everyone in the group. It's a King of the Hill set up. The kicker is that everyone outside of your group is able to attack you or be attacked by you. Because it takes so long, a line forms and some people just want to do the quest without having to fight for it. It has caused some pretty wild moments. Ilum wasn't ever meant to hold a lot of people, so there's usually 5 instances up during prime time and on the first day there was 7 or 8. Guilds will "claim" an instance and either keep the middle cleared out for Rep or Imp, or pure KoS to everyone, or even pretending the Treaty of Coruscant still stands and KoS anyone looking to make trouble. There's a "suicide bomber" mechanic here too, the item you pick up will emit a discharge that takes half the health of you and anyone around you if you click it off.

This of course sets up the PvE versus PvP arguments, people calling out whole guilds for being douchebags, that sort of thing. Just like EQ.

The best part is that the PvP is optional. There are two primary aspects of the event, the reputation and the gree tokens. The latter comes from a PvE heroic mission and you don't have to set foot in the PvP area to complete it. The former stacks up fairly quickly if you do it with even just one character, and you can stack them up with multiple character to make it easier down the road. I capped out for the week on the second day. If I keep going and just do the PvE portions I'll cap out at the reset as well. This, this broke out a post on the Bartle quiz in my server forums, something I haven't seen in nearly half a decade.
I have been a 4 week hiatus but I approve this msg

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03...etely-unaffec/

According to GamesRadar's unnamed sources, BioWare San Francisco has reportedly been shut down as of today, resulting in the layoffs of 25-30 employees associated with the studio. The net impact to BioWare's existing MMO and future franchises? Absolutely zero.

The studio formerly known as EA2D was responsible for the Dragon Age Legends Facebook game and the browser-based Mirror's Edge 2D. While it was focused on developing mobile and social games, Electronic Arts found that handling development in the area was too expensive and has shut down operations.

Fans of social games will thus have good reason to be sad about this news. Fans of MMOs will also have reason to be sad about this news, but less because of its effect upon MMO development and more because it's sad when people lose their jobs. Our condolences to all those affected by this shutdown.
Source: BioWare San Francisco shuts down, employees laid off

Calroon_sl

shitlord
Of course someone had to bring this back up from the 2nd page... aka dead games.
Well, while we're at it. They also laid off a couple EU community managers (Germany, France, UK).

Bioware acknowledged that communication might be less frequent because of that /lol(?)
At least they manage to keep themself in the media loop, I guess.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The blowup over this change (which is apparently one of a few in terms of security) is fucking stupid. The head of their security team popped into the forums to address the (non-)issue and pretty much laid the smack down. One user even popped in to say that email-as-login wasn't a thing until Blizzard made people do it, and that change only prompted him to start using throwaway email accounts.

In other words... nothing to see here, move along.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
But can they stop sending emails begging you to come back every couple of weeks?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Man, going the WoW route of forced obsolesce is such a catastrophic mistake that it almost feels like they are trying to fail here. In order to make WoW's paradigm work, you need a lot of content, generated very quickly--even Blizzard hasn't been able to keep up with WoW's model.

I think of all the things WoW brought to the MMO-scape, the level jumps and resets for each tier, are by far, the worst design feature. The after effects from such a design strategy are so numerous that many people don't even think about them..but they are almost all bad.