SWTOR

moontayle

Golden Squire
To answer Izo: No, I just like and play the game.

Yes, new set of dailies which give you Rep consumables, daily tokens, and the Gree event token off the single Heroic daily. There's also a single boss raid instance and two world bosses. The QQ comes from the two missions that are in a "small group PvP" section of Ilum. One of them requires that you put yourself in harm's way since it has you taking an item you pick up to the exact middle and deposit it on a clickable object that takes 6 seconds to "cast" and you can be interrupted. Once you get through the cast it takes about a minute to reset. You have to do this four times, though one person doing it counts for everyone in the group. It's a King of the Hill set up. The kicker is that everyone outside of your group is able to attack you or be attacked by you. Because it takes so long, a line forms and some people just want to do the quest without having to fight for it. It has caused some pretty wild moments. Ilum wasn't ever meant to hold a lot of people, so there's usually 5 instances up during prime time and on the first day there was 7 or 8. Guilds will "claim" an instance and either keep the middle cleared out for Rep or Imp, or pure KoS to everyone, or even pretending the Treaty of Coruscant still stands and KoS anyone looking to make trouble. There's a "suicide bomber" mechanic here too, the item you pick up will emit a discharge that takes half the health of you and anyone around you if you click it off.

This of course sets up the PvE versus PvP arguments, people calling out whole guilds for being douchebags, that sort of thing. Just like EQ.

The best part is that the PvP is optional. There are two primary aspects of the event, the reputation and the gree tokens. The latter comes from a PvE heroic mission and you don't have to set foot in the PvP area to complete it. The former stacks up fairly quickly if you do it with even just one character, and you can stack them up with multiple character to make it easier down the road. I capped out for the week on the second day. If I keep going and just do the PvE portions I'll cap out at the reset as well. This, this broke out a post on the Bartle quiz in my server forums, something I haven't seen in nearly half a decade.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Am I the only one who get nauseous every time I read the term "daily"?

wait... ahh.. aghh.. *BARFS*

Sorry... *BAAARF* god... excuse me.

So, Dailies, "Quests", Story, Dynamic-Event, Honor/Ticket/Badges/ and whatever kind of carnival tickets you collect in an "MMORPG" for "loot"... all these terms makes me want to.... *baaaarf* god.. *Awwrhghgg* ... ahhhhh *BAAARF* *sobs*

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It really depends. I'm against the way MoP and ToR gated sometimes bis or, in wow's case, valor gear behind a daily grind when most gear is already behind a dungeon grind. I know they said it was about "retention" but a few times its made me nearly throw my hands up and want to quit.

Isle of quel'danas and even wotlk dailies seemed ok to me. Not intrusive and other than the shoulder enchant not "necessary" for much of an advantage.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So if you like an MMO publicly on this site that has been out awhile that the majority of posters don't....you're a "sponsored" poster?

People realize 3-4 months after an MMO comes out the majority of people around here hate it, right? Most of the time it doesn't even take that long.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
...even wotlk dailies...other than the shoulder enchant not "necessary" for much of an advantage.
Being able to spend gold and just buy faction instead of doing god damn boring dailies is how every faction should work if you can't grind dungeons for it. Dailies are horse shit.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Being able to spend gold and just buy faction instead of doing god damn boring dailies is how every faction should work if you can't grind dungeons for it. Dailies are horse shit.
I didn't mind the old Timbermaw faction. It didn't give you a meaningful in game advantage so wasn't necessary for raiding, you could mindlessly slaughter and loot for faction, and you got a cute trinket that summoned a timbermaw. It was sort of a badge of honor.

moontayle

Golden Squire
My view on Reputation is skewed anyway. I did the Wintersaber faction stuff before they changed how you got that mount. Now THAT was a badge of honor. I was one of maybe half a dozen on my WoW server that had one.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the only point of a faction is the grind...
If the only way to earn faction is through a daily grind...
If the only reward from a daily grind is faction...

Your game may be shit.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
If the only point of a faction is the grind...
If the only way to earn faction is through a daily grind...
If the only reward from a daily grind is faction...

Your game may be shit.
The vast majority of factions in EQ were pretty meaningless, Velious being like the lone outlier. Well, and I guess the VenrilSathir faction for the worker sledge mallet. The rest were useless in most cases unless you simply required the ability to bind safely in every city. It was simply the freedom to go fuck random factions up (or in my case, be KoS in 2/3 of neriak but Allied in North FP.) willy nilly and the game let you do it. All factions in EQ were grinds, they just disguised it occasionally. Dwarf heads, Kromrif/Kromzek heads, sarnak braids, whatever. If very, very few situations was the faction not tied to grinding specific mobs or if the mobs gave nonexistent faction, they had drops you turned in. Except in WoW and similar games, there was a concrete reward for grinding a specific faction where in EQ it was either a requirement to do certain content (halls of testing for turning in the symbols/marks/whatever) or required to hand in specific quests (gauntlets of the dragonslayer, belt of dwarfslaying) so it was really similar and dumb at the same time. The freedom to do so, however, was the key. EQ's faction grind had a lot more in common with your statements than WoW did.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You've pointed out the "point" of EQ factions in your post, you've failed to realize the post is about SWTOR and not wow, and you've neglected the point about dailies. EQ reps were literally nothing like this.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
The vast majority of factions in EQ were pretty meaningless, Velious being like the lone outlier. Well, and I guess the VenrilSathir faction for the worker sledge mallet.
I beg to differ I guess.
Being a Dark Elf killing Orcs in common lands for XP and Faction for freeport is not meaningless to me.

I just find it surprising how no one picked up EQ's faction system and expanded on it.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Dailies in general are fine, but the way games nowadays seem to execute them leave much to be desired.

Dailies that are done as an "extra" and are not gating anything are the way to go - have some time to kill? You can grind this rep for vanity items/mounts/pets etc. SWTOR actually does them correctly, if everything is true about how they're being handled. It seems like the reps aren't required at all, you can contribute to the daily cap on any character (thereby not locking you into feeling like you must play one character) and have caps so that you can get it out of the way and get on with your shit.

No one has expanded on EQ reps because they were god damn awful. The giants/dwarf/dragon rep in Velious gives me fucking nightmares - having to grind as you gained one "teir" then later start killing your old allies so that another part of the trio liked you instead...ugh.

Anything that requires pointless repetition for things that most people consider "necessary" - such as BiS, specific enchants, addons, bonuses etc can get fucked. You want to put dailies in? Make them something nice to go for but more as a "status" thing.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I agree that WoW has taken dailies way too far, but making them purely bonus is compensating too much. I specifically hate the "BiS" attitude. There's no reason you cant have several sources of said item, among them a reputation. As boring as GW2 itemization is, initially you could achieve the same tier of items through crafting, instance dungeons or karma (open world content) as well as buy them on the AH. They gave you choices, thats always good.

That's off-topic though so to add a TOR blurb in the end I played for 2-3 hours and wasnt thrilled with the amount of cash shop advertising in the UI nor with the restrictions imposed on a F2P account. Also rustled jimmies about the free coin being a time limited offer, simply because I see no reason for that (except to improve a targeted quarterly revenue report around the time the offer ends).

Guess their next shot at my dollars is the content patch with the levels (the one they consider an expansion).

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I've spouted off about how I would like to see factions and reputations used a few times in the EQ Next thread. So I will try to be brief.

Basically the premise I keep coming back to is to have a skill based system akin to UO. However, to break things up a bit and to give people better differentiation between characters a sort of class system would be put into place. A class would give passive bonuses to several skills and give access to trainers that offer skills and abilities that emphasize the class' combat style.

A character would be able to change classes and would actually start the game classLESS.

So what does this have to do with factions? Well reputation would determine which classes a character could change into. Starting off a character would only have access to some basic classes offered by groups that are always looking for new blood. (The city guard, A thieves den, a group of bandits, ect.) However, as a character adventured and their standing with various groups changed, they would then be able to join those groups and gain access to new classes, with new trainers offering new sets of skills.

The classes would also be ranked, the threshold to get into most organizations and groups would be rather low, however there would be additional rewards the further up the reputation ladder a character climbed. A character could start off as a recruit in the city guard, and eventually could work their way up to the prestigious title/class of Captain of the Guard.

Two important things to note. First, every class would have to be ranked into some sort of tier system. So most of the classes available on day one would be Tier 1 classes, and most of the highest level classes with access to the best skills and bonuses would be like tier 9 or 10. Everything would be balanced along these tiers. Meaning most tier 2's should be comparable in potential power. This doesn't negate the need for combat roles and specialization, but helps people gauge effectiveness of various titles.

Second, the other thing that is important is that there is no direct link between one group and another. There could be factions that could be positioned in such a way so that it takes little effort to make the jump between them, but there can be no hard requirements forcing players to advance through certain career paths. All that should be needed to get into most groups is a good standing with them, and perhaps an entrance "exam" of sorts to prove your worthiness.

This allows players to really explore the world and groups that live there. There should be many many routes to get to the same place and every character's progression should leave them with a slightly different skill set. If someone was a thief before they joined the army as a foot soldier and then moved onto an elite military group, they would have a different skill set from someone who was a village ranger, who became an army scout and then joined the same outfit. Both would have access to the same trainers and skills at this point, but their past would dictate what their strong points were.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/%5Bne...ry%5D/20130220

Game Update 2.0 is Now Live on PTS!

Game Update 2.0 is now live on our Public Test Server! Game Update 2.0 features major class changes such as new abilities, updated skill trees, a new Operation (Scum and Villainy), and more! For those of you that have already copied high level characters on our Public Test Server, we encourage you to check out all of these changes and the other new features listed in the Game Update 2.0 PTS Patch Notes. Log on, check everything out, and give us your feedback by posting on the Public Test Server forum.

Game Update 2.0 will be available for all players when it is released (Free-to-Play restrictions will still apply).

The Rise of the Hutt Cartel digital expansion (which contains the planet-based story content and more) will have a separate, closed beta process which will not appear on the Public Test Server. We are also happy to announce that you will be able to transfer your character to PTS using the new PTS Character Copy Tool (instructions can be found below).

Additionally, players will have the option to advance characters immediately to level 55 from the Republic and Imperial Fleets (detailed instructions below).

Game Update 2.0 contains a host of new features including:
.New gear available only to level 55 characters.
.A new Operation: Scum and Villainy.
.New abilities and skill trees for all 16 Advanced Classes.
.New level 55 Hard Mode Flashpoints: Hammer Station, Athiss, Mandalorian Raiders, and Cademimu.
.New Nightmare Mode Operation: Terror from Beyond.
.Legacy Achievements - Complete challenges to earn unique titles and vanity rewards across your Legacy.

The new Operation and Hard Mode Flashpoints in Game Update 2.0 are Level 55 Elder Game Content. The level cap increase to 55 is included with the purchase of the Digital Expansion, Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

To access the Public Test Server:
1.Log in to the Star Wars: The Old Republic launcher using your username and password.
2.Click the Settings button (gear) in the bottom left corner of the launcher.
3.Under "Enable Public Test Server Access", select "Yes."
4.Click "Save."
5.Now the bottom left corner will have two buttons: select the new button next to settings.
6.Under "Pick an Environment" select "Public Test."
7.Click "Next" and you will begin patching on the Public Test Server*.
8.Click "Play."

*Please note that the initial patch download will be very large, as you will be installing an additional version of the game client. Any future patches will be significantly smaller.

To transfer your character the Public Test Server, follow these instructions:
1.Log intowww.swtor.com.
2.Click on your account name in the top right hand corner of the site.
3.Click "My Account."
4.In the left column, scroll down and click the link entitled "PTS Character Copy."
5.Select the server and then the character that you wish to copy from.
6.Click the "Copy Character" button.
7.The site will display the current status of your character copy at the top of the page. Additionally, you can click the "View your character transfer history" link to see if the copy has completed.

To advance your character immediately to level 55, follow these instructions:
(Note: Your character must be able to access the fleet in order to do this)
1.Travel to the Imperial or Republic Fleet.
2.Go to the "Supplies" area of the Fleet.
3.Once there, interact with the "Level Booster" terminal, which you can find between the Operations and Daily Mission terminals. The exact location on each fleet are:
.Imperial Fleet - (4600, 698)
.Republic Fleet - (-4600, 698)
4.Your character will be granted level 55 and commendations that you can use to purchase level 55 gear.

Because development is ongoing during testing, it should be noted that all changes and updates listed in the patch notes should be considered incomplete and are subject to change or removal before release to the live servers.

Please note that we will not be providing Customer Support for this test server. Attempts to file in-game tickets will result in an error message and will not be processed. Please use the Public Test Server Forums for feedback and any issues you may experience. All gameplay policies are still in place; inappropriate or abusive players will not be tolerated on the test server.

Your feedback and participation are truly appreciated.

The Star WarsT: The Old RepublicT Community Team

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So if I am understanding this correctly... because their game engine is such utter shit they couldn't invent a UI feature or menu modification to allow testers to "Ding! Level 55! Free Commendations!"... they had to create an actual quest object.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
So if I am understanding this correctly... because their game engine is such utter shit they couldn't invent a UI feature or menu modification to allow testers to "Ding! Level 55! Free Commendations!"... they had to create an actual quest object.
I too enjoy presenting baseless assumptions as fact.

This isn't to say that you're wrong, and perhaps you have knowledge that wasn't presented in that post. More likely though this is a sad attempt to scrounge for things to complain about. So I have to ask, why bother?

Anyway I'm moderately excited. I was fearful they were going to 'pull a vanguard' and trivialize all of their endgame content and this has allayed those fears fairly well. We had been provided with no information about level 55 content until this so it's good news all around.

The class balance changes are interesting too, lots of new defensive abilities. I just laughed and thought HUTTBALL when reading the new Shadow/Assassin ability but maybe it will not be as effective (EG not work when carrying the ball) in there. The new Sage/Sorcerer ability sounds like it could be very useful in PvP as well. And the change to allow shields to affect kinetic/energy attacks, FINALLY!