SWTOR

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if they're going to make all of the existing level 50 flashpoints worthless after this or if the expert modes will be uplevelled to 55.

That page doesn't even say if there will be new flashpoints so they might completely ruin what little endgame the game does have if they have a new level cap with very small numbers of ways to get level 55 equipment.

Having said that we were mostly wearing level 58 gear last time I played TOR so I really don't know how a new level cap is going to affect endgame itemization.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wonder if they're going to make all of the existing level 50 flashpoints worthless after this or if the expert modes will be uplevelled to 55.

That page doesn't even say if there will be new flashpoints so they might completely ruin what little endgame the game does have if they have a new level cap with very small numbers of ways to get level 55 equipment.

Having said that we were mostly wearing level 58 gear last time I played TOR so I really don't know how a new level cap is going to affect endgame itemization.
Wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they pulled a Vanguard. (Basically, exactly what you said.)

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they pulled a Vanguard. (Basically, exactly what you said.)
Yep Vanguard is exactly what I was thinking of when writing that.

I'm still thinking seriously about having another go at SWTOR when that xpac comes out (I'm one of the few people who really liked the game) but it's looking like a very anaemic expansion.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Obviously not a true "expansion" as we've come to understand the term. Based upon a few of the things I've read over the past year, my thoughts are that this is an attempt at "normalizing" the sharp increase in power that showed up when going from Tionese/Recruit to Campaign/War Hero. Their plan, as I understand it, is to have the power creep closer to the difference between Campaign/War Hero and Dread Guard/Elite War Hero, which is very tiny compared to before. And of course, since it's EA, they have to make money off this "reset", so here we are.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
The DLC that is being called expansion now rofl, was in the trailer at E3 and promised to be free in the 1.5 content patch with ranked warzones, the cather race and makeB new content, well 3 those things still arent out and now their chargeing for stuff the DLC being called expansion that they said at E3 and the trailer and many other places that be free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXQCM74oHDU

Cybsled

What was that EQ1 "expansion" that was just low level shit and the only reason people bought it were for the bonus bank space, armor dyes, and the kodo mounts? This SWTOR one kinda smacks of that a little ;P Not really a full fledged expansion (more like a glorified patch), but they sure as hell will charge for it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Legacy of Ykesha introduced Frogloks as a playable race. All comparisons are therefore invalid.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
If I recall correctly, SOE realized they couldn't pass Legacy of Ykesha off as an expansion, so it was always referred to as an "extension."

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Why the fuck is there no playable alien races in this game, I thought it was fucking STAR WARS?

No, blue/red humans do not count as aliens.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Can't lie. I've been playing the ever living shit out of this for roughly 3 weeks. I had picked it up at release (huge closet Star Wars nerd) but the quality of life etc. just wasn't there. I went ahead and just resubscribed and while it may be pay to win (at least the way I'm using it), I dig the fact if I want to throw disposable income at things like legacy XP perks I can. I've certainly spent more than I ever did subbing already. Hopefully the few retards like me can support the game having a better future for those of us SW geeks. I never got past level 25 or so initially but this time around I'm up to 34 and finished Chapter 1 on my class. The game certainly isn't for everyone but as someone just tired of wow after playing it for ages, and the fact that its Star Wars I'm enjoying it. The dungeon finder is a nice addition and there are a hell of a lot of people in all the zones. Granted I'm largely anti social and playing it primarily single player, I see a lot of people shouting for the group missions.

I think their goal for better or worse (worse as far as the board is concerned) is to get people in to the game with the f2p marketing, and get them to sub/spend more money because they're hopefully enjoying it. You're crazy to actually try and play this free from what I understand. Too many things locked such as "hide head slot" or "unify colors." I didn't mind shelling out a bit more to get speeder piloting ranks 5 levels earlier etc. It's not a great system if you are trying to pinch pennies that's for sure. When and If I cap I'll report back, but I haven't done end game raiding in years so it's not something I'm dying to get to either.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Why the fuck is there no playable alien races in this game, I thought it was fucking STAR WARS?

No, blue/red humans do not count as aliens.
Next species is going to be Cathar, which are humans with fur. I think that's a minor quibble by the way. There's way more important things that need to be done than adding more species to the mix, at least for the time being.

Also, I've been kind of holding back on commenting about the F2P article linked earlier, but the entire argument inside is retarded beyond measure. It's like there's some grand revelation that paying for every perk that subscribers get is more expensive than a simple subscription by an order of magnitude. File that under the "no shit" category. I'm reasonably certain that's the same in every F2P game. It also makes a fairly large leap in logic by assuming that someone would even be willing to buy everything for not one, but two characters (which is the F2P max). I've been a subscriber since release, the longest I've been subbed to a game since my original run at WoW back in 2005-2006. I can safely say that it's nearly impossible to get "everything" done that you can buy with passes without spending at least four hours a day in the game on ONE character, let alone TWO. I mean, if you're planning on getting the most out of the passes, then it's best to try and utilize those perks every day of the week. If you're playing that much, clearly you feel it's worth your time and shouldn't have a problem ponying up $15/mo.

Do I feel EA went overboard on the things they charge to unlock? Yes. But we've established a long time ago that you either like this game and play it, or played it and don't like it. Just like every other MMO out there. You either like it and play it, or don't and don't. Trying to drill down into some sort of logical leap that someone would need to spend $80+ to "enjoy" the game as a Preferred player is the worst kind of argument to make.

Supposedly some sort of Ilum reboot coming late January/early February. As a primarily PvP player I'm looking forward to it.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Well I did actually get to 50 with several long breaks and quit for good back in June. Because the game was okish to play for like once a month because its star wars but in no way worth paying 5 bucks a month, lets alone more. I would have probably derped around in it for a few hours if it had been F2P. But reading about what they are trying to call F2P convinced me it isnt worth another look. So you cant just arbitrarily split the players into "some hate it, some love it". And I usually throw some money after my "boring afternoon, lets dig up something I havent played a while" games. So maybe they lure in some new subscribers, but I bet they miss out on a ton of casual monies from people like me. Add to that the entirely negative PR on their F2P and lousy word-of-mouth and I think in the end it doesnt really help, maybe even hurts the game. Whats left of it to be hurt, anyway, for all we know they are fighting a complete shutdown every quarter.

moontayle

Golden Squire
You're something of an outlier than. SWTOR is a polarizing game, at least in the circles I run around in, including this community. There's very little in between when it comes to how people feel about the game.

I like the game. Obviously. I don't think it's better than any of the other games out there, and I'll readily admit the primary appeal for me is the setting. When your choice of MMO to play involves several that include the same basic activities (raiding, dungeons, pvp, dailies), then all that really matters is that you're having fun and feel you're getting your money's worth.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I had a blast in the game (and worked on it for a month before the layoffs) and would still be playing it if they hadn't made the decision to go F2P. Give me a new (group) Flashpoint and a Tattooine event 3-4 times a year and I would have probably stuck around. They made some bad decisions, sure, but I'll always believe that if they had put their resources into a space expansion (off the rails, obviously), they could have used the time until then to flesh out the game and correct some of those bad decisions, and then they could have got those big subscriber numbers they were aiming for. An online X-Wing/Tie-Fighter game would have brought tons of people in.
But I gave up on the game when they gave up on it.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Here is how the former MAKEB free content patch that was supposed to go with the new flashpoint, new operation, new warzone, new Cathar race and ranked warzones went down at EA.

Just like Bioware could not call fucking server mergers, what they fucking were.
EA then contiues to lead By example but not in the way any of us, would ever fucking want.

EA meeting- concerning MAKEB,Cathar race,ranked warzones.

Not all expansions include a level cap raise, but MOST expansions do and MMO players generally relate a level cap raise with an expansion.

EA Suits: "Ok Bioware, how do we try to justify this as an expansion so we can charge for it?"

Bioware Devs: "Add new abilities to classes and raise the level cap"

EA Suits: "Good idea, so raise the level cap so we can charge for this content pack...err expansion I mean."

Bioware Devs: "The problem is that we don't have enough new content to justify a level cap increase - just a new planet and some story missions."

EA Suits: "Find a way to justify calling this an expansion, we need to charge for it."

Bioware Devs: "I guess we can just scale some of the old content so that it is still relevant at the new level cap."

EA Suits: "Whatever, just get it done."

Bioware Devs: "So how much are you charging for this "expansion?"

EA Suits: "$20 for F2P, $10 for Subs"

Bioware Devs: "Oh nice, so subs will just be able to use their monthly cartel coins to purchase the "expansion."

EA Suits: "(laughs), I like you. Also, no."

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It is definitely disappointing how SWTOR development has been going since launch but I think we need to accept the fact that the dev team was gutted and they probably have 1/5 or less of the people working on it that they planned to. So they are releasing content at 1/5 or slower of the pace than they originally wanted to.

It is what it is. I always enjoyed SWTOR and only left because of how good TSW was but I just resubbed, rolled up a new class that I hadn't played before and I'm having a blast again.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Who are you trying to convince Aleksei? You're either preaching to the choir (the majority of this board), or no one gives a shit (pretty much anyone else that remains). Either way you're wasting your breath. You're encroaching on Utanyen territory here.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
It just boggles the mind how TWO major gaming companies have managed to fuck up a Star Wars IP MMO. How is this even possible? I had high hopes for TOR when it was first announced. However, doubts started to form the moment I heard they would focus on the storyline quests (levelling) and how everything would be voice over. Have none of the devs ever played a MMO? At least they haven't been playing with friends using Vent, because it is at least my experience that the first thing you do is turn off all music and sounds save combat sounds so you can chat with your friends while playing (it is an MMO after all!).

My only hope is that if anyone ever tries doing a third SW MMO then the phrase "third time lucky" will ring true!