SWTOR

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
oh snap finally found a response to my question

Next species is going to be Cathar, which are humans with fur. I think that's a minor quibble by the way.
Yeah minor quibble, cant play aliens in a star wars game. Let's make sure we get the homosexual romance story lines in though, top priority.

No wonder this shit flopped haha.

moontayle

Golden Squire
oh snap finally found a response to my question

Yeah minor quibble, cant play aliens in a star wars game. Let's make sure we get the homosexual romance story lines in though, top priority.

No wonder this shit flopped haha.
There's a lot more that needs fixing, especially in terms of content, before I would say that playable aliens need to be on the front-burner. You do know why they likely won't even bother right? I'll give you a hint... the 4th pillar.

ixian_sl

shitlord
My only complaint is that they're not allowing you to purchase it with Cartel coins. Hell even SOE, who probably has the most draconian F2P system in implementation (at least until now), allows you to buy the x-pacs with sony cash. So enterprising subscribers never even have to lay down a dime for new content if they save up their monthly allotment.
SOE actually doesn't allow this anymore.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Making non humanlike models playable would be a lot of work for them trying to make all of the armour models etc work. The benefit of humans with wierd shit on their heads (which is every race so far) is that they only need to model them once. Having said that almost all of the aliens you see in the movies are just humans with wierd shit on their heads.

EA/Bioware have limited resources on this game now and I don't think developing new races is that important. They should be adding content/mechanics and fixing bugs. There's still huge numbers of bugs in game since launch, even some really obvious ones like if you don't dismount from your speeder in conversations you don't gain faction with your companion.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Not being able to be an alien in a star wars game is stupid, idc how you fanboi it

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I don't know what you're talking about. The majority of the races in TOR are about as alien as you get in star wars (at least the movies and few books I've read) for sentient species. You've got blue humans, green humans, grey humans, red humans, humans with horns, humans with cybernetic implants, humans with tentacles. I guess they could also add humans with extra arms (Besalisk), humans covered with hair (Wookie), midget humans in robes (Jawa), humans wearing masks (Sandpeople), humans with gigantic heads (Bith), etc etc. Do you want rancor to be a playable species? If you're looking for Dalek or Thri-kreen playable races then star wars is the wrong universe.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The state of the game letter reads a lot like the Warhammer letters used to read. I have a funny feeling the game is going the same way.
This isnt going the same way, its way past WHO already. WHO missed its chance for a breath of new players through F2P, at least TOR dared that step so the few people still paying a sub have players to group with.

Off-topic, but I actually played WHO for an evening back before TOR launch time because I stumbled about a free week offer while getting my mythic account straightened. The beginning isnt too horrible for a 6(?) year old game, i bet they'd be better off with a full F2P and a cash grab shop too.

Cybsled

I think the biggest complaint was that all the races are essentially the same in body type/size. There is no WoW situation where all the races look, move, and are shaped differently. It's basically the lazy "take same body, slap different head on it, profit!" system of making races.

Silence_sl

shitlord
The only thing that bugs me about this game is that its failure in the market didn't send EA to the bottom of the ocean.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Taking the lazy way and reskinning humans with a different head (and not even making sure the helmets fit) with 100 millions budget is retarded as hell. Then again so is beating that particular dead horse roughly 1-2 years after that wrong decision was made. There is so many more important aspects wrong or lacking in TOR that whining about not being able to gay up your companion or play as a four-armed reptile is a wasted effort (or in the case of this thread simply a troll), and if the company would actually sink their by now miniscule budget for the game into that it would be even more retarded.

Also, I dont think you can pin this failure on EA, Bioware had plenty of time and budget enough and with all that they made a WoW clone that is 5 years behind the original. Hell even if they had an order from EA to make a WoW clone they failed even that, not even speaking of making an original game.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Taking the lazy way and reskinning humans with a different head (and not even making sure the helmets fit) with 100 millions budget is retarded as hell. Then again so is beating that particular dead horse roughly 1-2 years after that wrong decision was made. There is so many more important aspects wrong or lacking in TOR that whining about not being able to gay up your companion or play as a four-armed reptile is a wasted effort (or in the case of this thread simply a troll), and if the company would actually sink their by now miniscule budget for the game into that it would be even more retarded.
See, that's the thing that gets me. I could really understand if it was a smaller studio that decided to cut some corners with the races, but tens of millions of dollars were sunk into this. The best they could come up with were a bunch of bland, recolored humans? No Bothans, Ithorians, or Wookiees? I think they would've even benefited by havinglessraces since blue, red, grey, etc. just makes the laziness even more apparent.

But then, considering the game's struggles, thishasworked out for them.

Also, I dont think you can pin this failure on EA, Bioware had plenty of time and budget enough and with all that they made a WoW clone that is 5 years behind the original. Hell even if they had an order from EA to make a WoW clone they failed even that, not even speaking of making an original game.
I do have to wonder who was responsible for what decisions. There was a lot of talk after the fact about LucasArts being one of the big driving forces behind NGE in SWG. You'd think they'd learn from their mistakes after WoWifying that game didn't turn out to be the massive success they'd hoped, but it's not like LucasArts has proven themselves to be great at making games in recent years. Then again, despite the BioWare name slapped on the box, it wasn't really BioWare's A-team, but a team built specifically for this project (with several people from SWG, oddly enough). And, of course, EA doesn't have the best track record when it comes to MMOs.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
long before the game's release, bioware explained that they included only humanoid characters because they felt these characters would better relate to the two factions' missions.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
long before the game's release, bioware explained that they included only humanoid characters because they felt these characters would better relate to the two factions' missions.
Except that's not the real reason why the races are limited to humanoid-with-different-head syndrome. It's all of the reasons outlined above in that making different looking races requires more animation/art work. Once you decide that element X isn't going to be in the game for budget reasons, it's not hard to bullshit 100 other companion reasons as to why it's not in the game.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
there are countless species present as npcs. how hard/expensive would it have been to make them playable?
very is the answer to both how hard and how expensive if we're talking about Bioware especially since they've managed to find a way to make the least amount of content that can be made for the greatest price. I doubt that Bioware has anyone employed that could properly model, rig, texture or have the competence to code a non-humanoid character for the shit-box that is the Hero engine. They only included humanoid playable characters because the engine supports that out of the box, you actually have to put a bit of effort in to make an alien one work.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
very is the answer to both how hard and how expensive if we're talking about Bioware especially since they've managed to find a way to make the least amount of content that can be made for the greatest price. I doubt that Bioware has anyone employed that could properly model, rig, texture or have the competence to code a non-humanoid character for the shit-box that is the Hero engine. They only included humanoid playable characters because the engine supports that out of the box, you actually have to put a bit of effort in to make an alien one work.
rrr_img_7540.jpg

When your putting out content now that looks as well done as Heriotze's avatar pic, and charging 18 bucks for it... It's game over.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
there are countless species present as npcs. how hard/expensive would it have been to make them playable?
It's not necessarily a point of making them playable. That's easy enough. It's the sustainability thereof. Anytime they add new armor, it becomes an additional set they have to create since one usually can't just be copied to a different shaped body and still look right. Animations generally would also require additional work due to problems with clipping. Basically, any race you create increases the work artists and animators have to do. I would speculate many of those alien NPCs you see in the game have a very few number of sets of armor they can wear and animations they use. It's likely some of the lesser used ones were even modeled with the armor on.

Of course, the counterpoint to that is that so many other MMOs seem to manage. That, and it's freaking Star Wars.

spronk

FPS noob
is that a fucking lawnmower with christmas lights? it looks like mexican star wars. el guerra de las estrellas

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_7540.jpg

When your putting out content now that looks as well done as Heriotze's avatar pic, and charging 18 bucks for it... It's game over.
Thats a pic from a Special MTV Drug Dealers Cribbs show I saw.

Hickman contiueing to be the fucking rolemodel he is.

That is the speeder that they were ripping new one in Gamebreaker last week, it blow's snow out the back.